Announcement

Collapse

Philosophy 201 Guidelines

Cogito ergo sum

Here in the Philosophy forum we will talk about all the "why" questions. We'll have conversations about the way in which philosophy and theology and religion interact with each other. Metaphysics, ontology, origins, truth? They're all fair game so jump right in and have some fun! But remember...play nice!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Origin of the Mind/Mental States

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by lee_merrill View Post
    Yes, but not wholly!
    This makes you a 'compatabilist', as am I, which means that free-will is limited within a determined universe.

But determinism means our decisions are determined, our mental states are determined as well as everything else around us.
    Except that our mental states are themselves part of the deterministic process; they contribute in determining what will happen. Think of it as a feedback loop.
    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
      This makes you a 'compatabilist', as am I, which means that free-will is limited within a determined universe.
      Well, I'm not a compatibilist in the traditional philosophical sense, I believe free decisions can be made, though they are influenced as you say, by our subconscious and so on.

Except that our mental states are themselves part of the deterministic process; they contribute in determining what will happen. Think of it as a feedback loop.
      Yet a deterministic feedback loop is just as determined by its inputs as a linear process is (i.e. a process without loops).

Best wishes,
      Lee
      "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

Well, I'm not a compatibilist in the traditional philosophical sense, I believe free decisions can be made, though they are influenced as you say, by our subconscious and so on.
        If your decisions are influenced by our subconscious memories then they are not totally "free decisions", this is the point.

Yet a deterministic feedback loop is just as determined by its inputs as a linear process is (i.e. a process without loops).
        Except that our mental states and choices are in and of themselves a part of the deterministic process. You have already acknowledged that our decisions are influenced to some degree by our subconscious memories of past events. But they are real choices nonetheless.
        “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

If your decisions are influenced by our subconscious memories then they are not totally "free decisions", this is the point.
          I agree with you here.

Except that our mental states and choices are in and of themselves a part of the deterministic process. You have already acknowledged that our decisions are influenced to some degree by our subconscious memories of past events. But they are real choices nonetheless.
          Well, I don't know how you can call them real choices if they are deterministic.

Blessings,
          Lee
          "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

I agree with you here.

Well, I don't know how you can call them real choices if they are deterministic.

Blessings,
            Lee
            They are potentially choices for compatibilism.
            Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
            Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
            But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
              You use objective verifiable evidence to determine the moon exists. Without the objective verifiable evidence the reasoning is subjective, personal preference, and the moon becomes green cheese.

I go with Aristotle's concept of first-principles and human reasoning. He was the first to develop the concept.

Source: https://alyjuma.com/first-principles/

In every systematic inquiry (methodos) where there are first principles, or causes, or elements, knowledge and science result from acquiring knowledge of these; for we think we know something just in case we acquire knowledge of the primary causes, the primary first principles, all the way to the elements. It is clear, then, that in the science of nature as elsewhere, we should try first to determine questions about the first principles.

The naturally proper direction of our road is from things better known and clearer to us, to things that are clearer and better known by nature; for the things known to us are not the same as the things known unconditionally (haplôs). Hence it is necessary for us to progress, following this procedure, from the things that are less clear by nature, but clearer to us, towards things that are clearer and better known by nature. (Phys. 184a10–21)

© Copyright Original Source

And yet to even have the concept "objective verifiable evidence determines reality" you have to use, wait for it, ... REASON.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                And yet to even have the concept "objective verifiable evidence determines reality" you have to use, wait for it, ... REASON.
                Duh. Objective verifiable evidence is not a concept.

Comment

Well what sort of "choices" would you call them seeing as you have acknowledged that our decisions are influenced by our subconscious memories of past events?

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                    Duh. Objective verifiable evidence is not a concept.
                    Are you a moron? You have to first come up with the idea that what you observe corresponds with reality. That is a concept. Then you can use that concept to determine what is true using objective verifiable evidence. Reasoning always comes first. And the only way to determine if reasoning is a valid method of finding the truth is to use reason itself. So it is a first principle that cannot be reduced further.

Comment

Are you a moron? You have to first come up with the idea that what you observe corresponds with reality.
                      Yes. But in science first you must make the observation, the reasoning follows on from that.

That is a concept. Then you can use that concept to determine what is true using objective verifiable evidence. Reasoning always comes first. And the only way to determine if reasoning is a valid method of finding the truth is to use reason itself. So it is a first principle that cannot be reduced further.
                      This is merely a metaphysical argument. You are using “first principle” in the Aristotelian sense of a foundational axiom or assumption. But whilst this may result in a valid deductive argument, it won’t necessarily be a true one.

Comment

Yes. But in science first you must make the observation, the reasoning follows on from that.
                        How can you not understand that you have to reason out the idea that observation is a way to find out facts before you can observe things to find out facts? You have to be able to think before you can come up with any sort of "scientific method"

Thinking/reasoning always comes first. And you can't reduce it any further.

Comment

How can you not understand that you have to reason out the idea that observation is a way to find out facts before you can observe things to find out facts?

There's no way he doesn't understand it. He's just being intentionally obtuse.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                            There's no way he doesn't understand it. He's just being intentionally obtuse.
                            With Tassman and JimL it is hard to tell the difference between that and complete idiocy.

Comment

How can you not understand that you have to reason out the idea that observation is a way to find out facts before you can observe things to find out facts? You have to be able to think before you can come up with any sort of "scientific method"

Thinking/reasoning always comes first. And you can't reduce it any further.
                              Do you think about nothing often?

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                                Do you think about nothing often?
                                Come on now, if the gender tag under your username really is correct you would know that thinking about nothing is about as easy as breathing air if you're a male.

Comment