Announcement

Collapse

Philosophy 201 Guidelines

Cogito ergo sum

Here in the Philosophy forum we will talk about all the "why" questions. We'll have conversations about the way in which philosophy and theology and religion interact with each other. Metaphysics, ontology, origins, truth? They're all fair game so jump right in and have some fun! But remember...play nice!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Origin of the Mind/Mental States

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    Which is why you need to accept reasoning as a first-principal, unless you want to accept "God" as who makes reasoning valid. Because there is no way to TEST for it, because any testing would require reasoning to determine the outcome of the test.
    Wrong, the empirical facts concerning the nature of world, such as the physical laws, would be the first principle, not some imagined entity. We use reason and logic with respect to empirical facts.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
      Wrong, the empirical facts concerning the nature of world, such as the physical laws, would be the first principle, not some imagined entity. We use reason and logic with respect to empirical facts.
      How do you know that empirical facts are the first principles, JimL?

Comment

How do you know that empirical facts are the first principles, JimL?
        Because we begin to reason from what we know to be true, and what we know to be true are the empirical facts pertaining to the world.

Comment

Because we begin to reason from what we know to be true, and what we know to be true are the empirical facts pertaining to the world.
          How do you know something is true?

Comment

How do you know something is true?
            Empirical evidence. How do you know the moon exists?

Comment

Empirical evidence. How do you know the moon exists?
              Wait you said you know empirical facts are true because you reason from what you know to be true. And you know it to be true because of empirical evidence. You are arguing in a circle.

How do you know what empirical evidence or facts even means? Or what "true" means?

Comment

Wait you said you know empirical facts are true because you reason from what you know to be true.
                No, I didn't say that, I said empirical facts are the first principles to which we apply reason and logic.

And you know it to be true because of empirical evidence. You are arguing in a circle.
                And that we know them to be true because we can observe (empirical) them to be true. How do you know the moon exists?
                How do you know what empirical evidence or facts even means?
                You can find its definition in the dictionary.
                Or what "true" means?
                How do you know anything? How do you know the moon exists?

Comment

No, I didn't say that, I said empirical facts are the first principles to which we apply reason and logic.

And that we know them to be true because we can observe (empirical) them to be true. How do you know the moon exists?

How do you know what you observe corresponds to reality?

Comment

I know because I use....wait for it.....REASON.

You can't know anything without reason. You can't know what empirical facts are, what truth is, what first principles are, nothing without reason. And you have to trust that correct reasoning corresponds with reality and truth. You can't do an empirical test to find out if reasoning works because you need to use reason to even come up with that idea or evaluate it, JimL.

derp.

Comment

Which is why you need to accept reasoning as a first-principal, unless you want to accept "God" as who makes reasoning valid. Because there is no way to TEST for it, because any testing would require reasoning to determine the outcome of the test.
                      Again reasoning is not described as a first-principle by lee_merrill nor Norman Geisler as cited.. The first-principles are what validate reasoning in their view, and of course, I do not agree.
                      Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                      Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Wrong, without existing empirical facts, there is nothing to reason about. Empirical facts such as the physical laws ,come first. What we come to know about those facts is due to our use of reason, not vice versa.
                        You can't know anything without reason. You can't know what empirical facts are, what truth is, what first principles are, nothing without reason. And you have to trust that correct reasoning corresponds with reality and truth. You can't do an empirical test to find out if reasoning works because you need to use reason to even come up with that idea or evaluate it, JimL.
                        You can't know anything by reason without there first being something presented to our senses to know.

Comment

Not so. You know the moon exists based upon observation, not "reason" The reasoning follows on from the observation. And such reasoning can lead to conclusions which can be multiply tested and empirically verified.
                          “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                            Are proposing a Vedic question concerning the illusion of reality? If reality is an illusion it is a very interesting, painful, fantastic, interesting, beautiful, magnificent illusion.

But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                              Are proposing a Vedic question concerning the illusion of reality? If reality is an illusion it is a very interesting, painful, fantastic, interesting, beautiful, magnificent illusion.

I don't know that my observations correspond to reality. I simply have faith that it does.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                                I don't know that my observations correspond to reality. I simply have faith that it does.
                                You apparently have no problem getting on an airplane and flying at thousands of feet and hundreds of miles per hour per hour. This is not a meaningful line of reasoning, and a gross misuse of the concept of faith to justify an illusive agenda.

You know well as any other human that ever lived, except for the mentally ill that our observations conform to reality. If not than professional help may be in order.
                                Last edited by shunyadragon; 12-22-2018, 08:23 AM.

Frank

Comment