Page 40 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3038394041 LastLast
Results 391 to 400 of 401

Thread: Origin of the Mind/Mental States

  1. #391
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    44,616
    Amen (Given)
    4216
    Amen (Received)
    20077
    Quote Originally Posted by Tassman View Post
    Yes, it seems that this is correct.



    Presumably this is instinctive behaviour, not 'reasoned' behaviour as such.
    so?

  2. #392
    tWebber Tassman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Sydney/Phuket
    Faith
    Atheist
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    10,373
    Amen (Given)
    2384
    Amen (Received)
    1688
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    so?
    A wold baying to get a mate is instinctive, not 'reasoned' behaviour
    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

  3. #393
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    44,616
    Amen (Given)
    4216
    Amen (Received)
    20077
    Quote Originally Posted by Tassman View Post
    A wold baying to get a mate is instinctive, not 'reasoned' behaviour
    I never brought up a wolf baying at the moon, you did. I just said a wolf doesn't even pay attention to the moon because it understands that it is not food and not close enough to attack.


  4. #394
    tWebber Tassman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Sydney/Phuket
    Faith
    Atheist
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    10,373
    Amen (Given)
    2384
    Amen (Received)
    1688
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    I never brought up a wolf baying at the moon, you did. I just said a wolf doesn't even pay attention to the moon because it understands that it is not food and not close enough to attack.
    Whether it is a wolf baying at the moon or baying for a mate, it is instinctive, not 'reasoned' behaviour
    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

  5. #395
    tWebber JohnHermes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Faith
    Hermeticism
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    23
    Amen (Given)
    7
    Amen (Received)
    2
    Aren't all ideas and construct that exist today come from the mind? A building first was implanted into something that came from the non physical. If it didn't then the building we think of would just pop out into existence. Does that mean now it's a metaphysical thing?

  6. #396
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    44,616
    Amen (Given)
    4216
    Amen (Received)
    20077
    Quote Originally Posted by Tassman View Post
    Whether it is a wolf baying at the moon or baying for a mate, it is instinctive, not 'reasoned' behaviour
    I already said it was for communication. They howl to let other wolves know where they are, that prey is nearby, that this is their territory, etc.

    We were discussing whether seeing something was "awareness" or did there have to have some reasoning in order to be "aware" or observe something. You are the one who went off on wolf calls and baying at the moon.

    Why wolves howl has nothing to do with observing something or being aware of what they observe.

  7. #397
    tWebber Tassman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Sydney/Phuket
    Faith
    Atheist
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    10,373
    Amen (Given)
    2384
    Amen (Received)
    1688
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    I already said it was for communication. They howl to let other wolves know where they are, that prey is nearby, that this is their territory, etc.

    We were discussing whether seeing something was "awareness" or did there have to have some reasoning in order to be "aware" or observe something. You are the one who went off on wolf calls and baying at the moon.

    Why wolves howl has nothing to do with observing something or being aware of what they observe.
    The point throughout has been that creatures cannot react or reason about anything unless they are aware it exists. Awareness comes first, you have not demonstrated otherwise.
    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

  8. Amen JimL amen'd this post.
  9. #398
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    44,616
    Amen (Given)
    4216
    Amen (Received)
    20077
    Quote Originally Posted by Tassman View Post
    The point throughout has been that creatures cannot react or reason about anything unless they are aware it exists. Awareness comes first, you have not demonstrated otherwise.


    No Tassman, the argument is that in a logical argument, reasoning comes first, and awareness requires reasoning. You can't even seem to keep up with your own argument.

  10. #399
    tWebber Tassman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Sydney/Phuket
    Faith
    Atheist
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    10,373
    Amen (Given)
    2384
    Amen (Received)
    1688
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    No Tassman, the argument is that in a logical argument, reasoning comes first, and awareness requires reasoning. You can't even seem to keep up with your own argument.
    Nope! In a logical argument the premise/awareness comes first followed by the reasoning.
    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

  11. #400
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    44,616
    Amen (Given)
    4216
    Amen (Received)
    20077
    Quote Originally Posted by Tassman View Post
    Nope! In a logical argument the premise/awareness comes first followed by the reasoning.
    You are such a dumbass.

    In your case you might be right, because reasoning doesn't seem to factor into any of your arguments at all.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •