Announcement

Collapse

Philosophy 201 Guidelines

Cogito ergo sum

Here in the Philosophy forum we will talk about all the "why" questions. We'll have conversations about the way in which philosophy and theology and religion interact with each other. Metaphysics, ontology, origins, truth? They're all fair game so jump right in and have some fun! But remember...play nice!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Origin of the Mind/Mental States

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    Interface with the body and the world.
    But the soul, according to you guys, is apparently a mind in its own right, so what actual purpose would a physical brain serve?

Hey what if this entire world is a computer simulation and we are sitting in VR chairs somewhere outside and our bodies are just avatars and we are controlling them from outside like in the Matrix?
    Again, what specific purpose would the physical brain serve in such a scenario?
    There is a very real scientific hypothesis that this might be the case.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simulation_hypothesis
    Well, there are many possibilities, but the simulation isn't something that you believe in, so why use it as point of argumentation?
    How can you tell if it is or not?

And if you can't tell if that is really the case or not, how can you say that it is not the same thing but with spirits and the material world?
    Because if that were the case, there is no reason to believe that the controller of the simulation would be immaterial. The amazing Kreskin didn't really bend the spoons with his mind.
    Last edited by JimL; 12-01-2018, 08:20 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
      So, ask yourself, if you're reasoning is not always right, what is it that makes you trust your reasoning?
      I trust that I can be shown the fault in my reasoning. But if human reasoning is simply the motion of atoms in my head, I can't trust that that will produce valid reasoning, reasoning has no solid foundation.

Blessings,
      Lee
      "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
        We don't feel the need to "argue for the "validity of reasoning". We just do it.
        This almost confirms that for the naturalist, reasoning has no foundation.

No, at this point there are merely anecdotal accounts of NDE's, no verifiable evidence.
        Well, the evidence for NDEs is always going to be anecdotal, but that doesn't mean we can't examine them scientifically.

Best wishes,
        Lee
        "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

• Originally posted by lee_merrill View Post
          I trust that I can be shown the fault in my reasoning. But if human reasoning is simply the motion of atoms in my head, I can't trust that that will produce valid reasoning, reasoning has no solid foundation.

Blessings,
          Lee
          Yes, despite your objections human reasoning is simply the motion of 'electrons in our heads,' not atoms, regardless of whether there is a higher authority that justifies our reasoning.

The history of human reasoning has shown human reasoning is flawed without the support of objective verifiable evidence. When objective verifiable evidence is ignored and avoided, fallible human reasoning has no bounds of self-justification, conflict and contradictions.
          Last edited by shunyadragon; 12-02-2018, 05:16 PM.
          Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
          Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
          But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

It's called objective evidence Lee, without the which you could neither be said to be reasoning, nor trust your reasoned beliefs. You're thinking is that the brain, rather than functioning on its own, needs an operator, but you're not thinking about how that operator itself does it, how the mind, the soul, or whatever you want to call it, functions. And again, a distinct mind doesn't make sense, if we had distinct minds, we wouldn't even have the need of a brain..

Comment

This almost confirms that for the naturalist, reasoning has no foundation.
              Valid reasoning for “the naturalist” is grounded in empirically verified true premises. This as opposed to the reasoning of the supernaturalist, who’s ‘reasoning’ is grounded in unsubstantiated beliefs.

Well, the evidence for NDEs is always going to be anecdotal, but that doesn't mean we can't examine them scientifically.
              To date no scientific examination has obtained supportive evidence of NDE’s .
              “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

But the soul, according to you guys, is apparently a mind in its own right, so what actual purpose would a physical brain serve?

Again, what specific purpose would the physical brain serve in such a scenario?

Well, there are many possibilities, but the simulation isn't something that you believe in, so why use it as point of argumentation?
                How can you tell if it is or not?

Because if that were the case, there is no reason to believe that the controller of the simulation would be immaterial. The amazing Kreskin didn't really bend the spoons with his mind.
                Jim, discussing philosophy with you is like discussing politics with a pig.

Comment

Bye bye then.

Comment

Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                    sigpic
                    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                        Yes, despite your objections human reasoning is simply the motion of 'electrons in our heads,' not atoms, regardless of whether there is a higher authority that justifies our reasoning.
                        Originally posted by JimL
                        It's called objective evidence Lee, without the which you could neither be said to be reasoning, nor trust your reasoned beliefs.
                        Ah, but here you assume the validity of reasoning in order to explain our reasoning.

Blessings,
                        Lee

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                          Valid reasoning for “the naturalist” is grounded in empirically verified true premises.
                          But empirical verification is hardly a foundation for reasoning. What measurements can you take to verify your argument here?

This as opposed to the reasoning of the supernaturalist, who’s ‘reasoning’ is grounded in unsubstantiated beliefs.
                          No, the validity of reasoning has to be a first principle. Call that an article of faith if you want, but you cannot prove the validity of reasoning.

Best wishes,
                          Lee

Comment

But empirical verification is hardly a foundation for reasoning.
                            Valid reasoning is grounded in logic based upon a true premise; a true premise requires verification. Without a true premise your argument cannot be a sound argument.

No, the validity of reasoning has to be a first principle. Call that an article of faith if you want, but you cannot prove the validity of reasoning.
                            How do you "prove the validity of reasoning"?
                            “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Ah, but here you assume the validity of reasoning in order to explain our reasoning.
                              No, what I'm assuming is the validity of an objective empirical reality upon which the validity of our reasoned conclusions are based. Even you need assume that, otherwise there is nothing for your distinct conscious mind to reason about.

Comment

No, what I'm assuming is the validity of an objective empirical reality upon which the validity of our reasoned conclusions are based. Even you need assume that, otherwise there is nothing for your distinct conscious mind to reason about.
                                Do you believe they will ever be able to upload a mind into a computer/robot so you can live forever?

Comment