Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Midterms and Discord

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Wow, I have to watch the video AND read something?
    I never said you had to do either.

You COULD just believe me..
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
      I never said you had to do either.

You COULD just believe me..
      Are you out of your everlovin' MIND?!?!?!
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Actually - it has not garnered silence. Abrams pretty clearly rejected the claim that her statement called for undocumented votes. Unfortunately, that doesn't play well, and the Republican candidate would rather keep pushing forward the false narrative in his ads and arguments - because it rallies the base. After all - those nasty old immigrants are taking over our country!
        I guess she finally responded because she was asked by several news sources right after the recording of her saying it surfaced all of which noted they got no response from her or her campaign

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Yes - plus this little quote: "I am a lawyer by training and I have fought for voting rights and I have never in my life suggested that anyone's who not legally registered should be allowed to cast a ballot,"
          Ah, so she still hasn't explained what role undocumented immigrants will be playing in the midterms if they are not legal voters.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

You're welcome.

I don't believe I defended people "yelling and screaming at someone trying to walk down the street." I noted I find that behavior rude. Legally, it is not verbal assault unless the things being said convey the intention to do harm to the person walking down the street. I also see no reason why a public figure should expect to NOT have demonstrations against their positions if their positions are anathema to some segment of the population. People from the right picket abortion clinics all the time. I don't see a lot of sympathy for the women who have to go through that gauntlet to get to medical services.
            They are protesting in front of their place of business when they protest abortion clinics. They aren't following the employees down the street or interfering with their private lives. That's the difference Carp.

If they do not occlude the public right of way (e.g., do it from the median between the curb and the sidewalk, then it is legally protected assembly and speech (unless it rises to the level of "verbal assault - as previously discussed.
            It's harassment. At least what they have been doing. I have no idea why you are defending these idiots after saying you don't support what they are doing. These people are NOT peaceably protesting from across the street. They are getting in the Senator's faces. Screaming and yelling.

It may be - depending on what is being said and how it is being said, and depending on whether or not the demonstration occludes a public right of way. It is not necessarily any of those things just because someone(s) is(are) protesting a position they find unacceptable.
            Fine. Show me one of these cases where they were peaceably protesting and I will tell you that there is no problem there. But that is not what we are discussing. You are trying to change the topic. We are discussing people who ARE yelling and screaming and interfering with someone's private life, after work, out on the town.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              I guess she finally responded because she was asked by several news sources right after the recording of her saying it surfaced all of which noted they got no response from her or her campaign
              She got caught saying something dumb, and is backtracking.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Now it looks like she has a history of flag burning. Don't have the details. Only caught a bit of the news story on the radio while getting gas mostly the end part where she said it was part of a legal demonstration.

Comment

Now it looks like she has a history of flag burning. Don't have the details. Only caught a bit of the news story on the radio while getting gas mostly the end part where she said it was part of a legal demonstration.
                  The US flag? Or this....

Stacey Abrams defends presence at 1992 burning of Georgia state flag, which contained the Confederate battle flag design

Comment

It might be the latter since as I noted I only caught a bit of the story.

Comment

Are you out of your everlovin' MIND?!?!?!
                      My wife seems to think so...
                      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Citations, please? I have not been able to find such news sources.

Comment

Ah, so she still hasn't explained what role undocumented immigrants will be playing in the midterms if they are not legal voters.
                          Undocumented immigrants (or illegal immigrants) if you prefer, are barred from voting. They are not barred from volunteering to get out the vote, or stand on corners with campaign signs, or any number of other activities. They simply cannot vote.

As with De Santis earlier comment, her statement was politically stupid. It wasn't "wrong" or encouraging illegal activity, AFAICT.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            They are protesting in front of their place of business when they protest abortion clinics. They aren't following the employees down the street or interfering with their private lives. That's the difference Carp.
                            Horse hockey. In many instances, they are specifically targeting the women trying to get into that place of business, and attempting to intimidate or shame them into not going. Your difference is not much of a difference.

It's harassment. At least what they have been doing. I have no idea why you are defending these idiots after saying you don't support what they are doing. These people are NOT peaceably protesting from across the street. They are getting in the Senator's faces. Screaming and yelling.
                            I'm not "defending" anyone. I am pointing out your incorrect statements about the legality issue. Rude and boorish - no problem. Illegal? Not necessarily.

Fine. Show me one of these cases where they were peaceably protesting and I will tell you that there is no problem there. But that is not what we are discussing. You are trying to change the topic. We are discussing people who ARE yelling and screaming and interfering with someone's private life, after work, out on the town.
                            I'm not trying to change the topic at all. I'm pointing out that your statements are too broad and over-arching. Rude and boorish behavior is not illegal. And verbal assault has a specific legal definition. Having to listen to someone screaming at you something you don't want to hear doesn't qualify. It may qualify as disturbing the peace, or trespass - but that will depend on the circumstances.

Comment

Politically stupid - I agree. Of course, politicians only misspeak or say stupid things on days that end with "y"

Comment

Why is THAT an issue? Flag burning is a legally protected act - as has been repeatedly affirmed by the courts.

I have to admit, I don't understand this extreme devotion to a piece of cloth. It's the thing the cloth represents that is important - not the cloth.

Comment