Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Midterms and Discord

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Midterms and Discord

If this article is even close to true, it is scary indeed. That a president of the United States would so little respect our democratic process to attempt to intentionally sow discord and confusion if his party loses would be abysmal. Unfortunately, Bernstein has a pretty solid track record of nonpartisan digging and finding the facts. So the probability that this is true is fairly significant, IMO. The only thing that might stop it is if the pre-election anticipation of this tactic is so widespread and strong, that Trump doesn't actually dare pull the trigger.

I will be so happy when this lying, manipulative, hate-fostering, vile man is gone from this office. 2020 cannot come soon enough.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Here's the money quote:

"I talked to people ... in touch with the White House on Friday who believe that, if the congressional midterms are very close and the Democrats were to win by five or seven seats, that Trump is already talking about how to throw legal challenges into the courts, sow confusion, declare a victory actually, and say that the election's been illegitimate."

So he's talked to "people" who "believe" that Trump has some plan to question the legitimacy of the election if the Democrats win. No solid evidence, just anonymous people with a "belief". That's some, uh, great reporting there, Carl.

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    Bernstein has a pretty solid track record...

He really doesn't.

That a president of the United States would so little respect our democratic process to attempt to intentionally sow discord and confusion if his party loses would be abysmal.
    Funny how I haven't seen you wringing your hands in despair over the fact that this is precisely what the Democrats have been doing ever since Trump won the election.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      Here's the money quote:

"I talked to people ... in touch with the White House on Friday who believe that, if the congressional midterms are very close and the Democrats were to win by five or seven seats, that Trump is already talking about how to throw legal challenges into the courts, sow confusion, declare a victory actually, and say that the election's been illegitimate."

So he's talked to "people" who "believe" that Trump has some plan to question the legitimacy of the election if the Democrats win. No solid evidence, just anonymous people with a "belief".
      So they think that he'll pull a page out of the Democrat playbook.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        Here's the money quote:

So he's talked to "people" who "believe" that Trump has some plan to question the legitimacy of the election if the Democrats win. No solid evidence, just anonymous people with a "belief". That's some, uh, great reporting there, Carl.

He really doesn't.

Funny how I haven't seen you wringing your hands in despair over the fact that this is precisely what the Democrats have been doing ever since Trump won the election.
        Hand wringing? Really?

There has been no attempt, as far as I can see to raise questions about the validity of elections by Democrats. If you think otherwise, I'd like to see the sources.

And it's funny how people once widely admired by many (most?) on the right are suddenly vilified when they begin to say things folks don't want to hear. Mueller has had a sterling reputation - until he took on this investigation. Bernstein has had a solid reputation until he wrote the Trump book. The same things happened to Comey, and a long list of others. As soon as they speak out against Trump, they're "dishonest" and "fake news" and all the rest. It's really remarkable to watch.
        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          So I'm curious - what elections have been called into question as "illegitimate" by Democrats?

Comment

Democrats (2016) - Trump isn’t a legitimate president because Russia!!!

Democrats (2018) - We heard a roomer that Trump might call the election in question if Republicans lose. That’s horrible!!!
            "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

So I'm curious - what elections have been called into question as "illegitimate" by Democrats?
              The one where Trump won for starters.
              "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

There has been no attempt, as far as I can see to raise questions about the validity of elections by Democrats.
                Are you... are you serious?
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

2016 presidential. Folks like Robert Reich (Clinton's Secretary of Labor) and Rep. John Lewis (D-Ga.), Donna Brazile (Al Gore's campaign manager in 2000 and head of the Democratic National Committee) immediately spring to mind with the first two saying so repeatedly. Editorials run in the Washington Post (Trump is an illegitimate president whose election is tainted by fraud), U.S. News & World Report (The Illegitimate Victor), the Los Angeles Times (It's Becoming Clear: Trump Is an Illegitimate President[1]), the Guardian (One year on, Donald Trump is still an illegitimate president), Salon (Trump’s presidency is illegitimate) and American Prospect (An Illegitimate Presidency)... The whole "Not My President Movement" which held Not My Presidents' Day rallies in over 30 cities on Presidents' Day and the New York Times ran an editorial Not My President, Not Now, Not Ever (a Washington Post-ABC poll found that a third of "Hillary Clinton supporters say Donald Trump's presidential victory is not legitimate")

Where have you been? Hiding under a rock?

btw, many Democrats said the same about George W. Bush.

1. The online version changed the title to "Was the 2016 election legitimate? It's now definitely worth asking the question" but Real Clear Politics has the story with the original title.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post

Democrats (2018) - We heard a roomer that Trump might call the election in question if Republicans lose. That’s horrible!!!
                    don't forget 2000 George W. Bush with the hanging chads and so called voter suppression.

Comment

Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post
                      don't forget 2000 George W. Bush with the hanging chads and so called voter suppression.
                      The real voter suppression was the Democrat's campaign to disallow oversea military ballots since they knew the majority would be for Bush, not to mention the networks calling Florida for Gore when the polls were still open in the panhandle (a heavily Republican region) causing a large number of disappointed voters standing in line to simply leave without voting.

Comment

If this article is even close to true, it is scary indeed. That a president of the United States would so little respect our democratic process to attempt to intentionally sow discord and confusion if his party loses would be abysmal. Unfortunately, Bernstein has a pretty solid track record of nonpartisan digging and finding the facts. So the probability that this is true is fairly significant, IMO. The only thing that might stop it is if the pre-election anticipation of this tactic is so widespread and strong, that Trump doesn't actually dare pull the trigger.

I will be so happy when this lying, manipulative, hate-fostering, vile man is gone from this office. 2020 cannot come soon enough.
                        The liberals made this same accusation during the Presidential Election and who were the ones trying to illegitimize the Election for the last 2 years? Who has been trying to impeach the winner? Who has been rioting in the streets?

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          typically liars and cheaters see everyone else as being just like themselves.

Comment

Hand wringing? Really?

There has been no attempt, as far as I can see to raise questions about the validity of elections by Democrats. If you think otherwise, I'd like to see the sources.
                            Did you just pop over here from some parallel universe? Where have you been for the last two years? The liberals have been claiming Russia owns Trump, that the election was fixed, that the popular vote should count instead of the electoral votes, trying to impeach Trump at every turn, rioting in the streets.... and you want sources? Like JimL says, go google them yourself. Your denial is bizarre.

Comment

Some Democrats said this, it's true. Can you show me where this was the official position of the Democratic party, or any data that shows it was even the position of a majority of Democrats?

A "roomer" is (presumably), someone who shares or rents a room where you live. I'm not sure. Maybe you mean "rumor?"

And your second one is actually a report from a nonpartisan reporter that this is being discussed by the leadership currently in the White House - it's not a claim by the "Democrats" that any particular election has been "rigged" or is illegitimate.

Comment