Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Midterms and Discord

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JimL View Post
    Sure, but you're proving my point. If the minority party, the republicans, have taught the majority party, the democrats, a powerful lesson here, then it is the republicans who are the guilty party here, not the democrats.
    And the Democrats will (and do) do the same thing in reverse. Look at Maryland.

I do not see either party as being particularly righteous, Jim. They both cheat - they both lie - they both manipulate.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      Did you miss the last election, JimL?
      You mean the one that failed to secure the popular vote?
      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        Go post this somewhere:

"We are a nation of immigrants. But we are also a nation of laws. It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years, and we must do more to stop it."
        -President Donald Trump

and watch liberal heads explode. Then once the commotion dies down, say, "Oh, sorry, that was actually President Bill Clinton!" and then watch their heads explode all over again.

Anyone with an ounce of sense would have known immediately that the quote was not from Donald Trump.

After all - it contains complete sentences.

Comment

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
          Again, like listening to someone incapable of handling the fact that their baseball team lost since they got more hits.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            Again, like listening to someone incapable of handling the fact that their baseball team lost since they got more hits.
            "What do you mean we lost? We had 18 hits, and they only scored 9 runs! That's so unfair!"
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              I am perfectly capable of handling the fact that Trump won, Rogue. I don't like it - but it's life. The discussion was about which party was the "majority party." Registered Democrats outnumber Republicans by about 12M, which is close to 25%. Appealing to the 2016 election does nothing to prove that Republicans are "the majority party" (which was the issue at hand) because they didn't even get the popular vote. There is pretty much no metric against which Republicans can be said to be "the majority."

The incredible Republican wins in the past decade have more to do with incredibly clever political maneuvering than any claim of being "the majority party."

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                "What do you mean we lost? We had 18 hits, and they only scored 9 runs! That's so unfair!"
                I do not believe you will find any post in which I used the term "unfair." "Unfair" is the siren song of the toddler. I never tolerated it from my kids. I don't use it. I don't tolerate it from the current commander in chief - who just LOVES to use it regularly.

Comment

Gee, did they not use a popular vote to vote in congress? I must have missed that.

Comment

I am perfectly capable of handling the fact that Trump won, Rogue. I don't like it - but it's life. The discussion was about which party was the "majority party." Registered Democrats outnumber Republicans by about 12M, which is close to 25%. Appealing to the 2016 election does nothing to prove that Republicans are "the majority party" (which was the issue at hand) because they didn't even get the popular vote. There is pretty much no metric against which Republicans can be said to be "the majority."

The incredible Republican wins in the past decade have more to do with incredibly clever political maneuvering than any claim of being "the majority party."
                    I do not believe you will find any post in which I used the term "unfair." "Unfair" is the siren song of the toddler. I never tolerated it from my kids. I don't use it. I don't tolerate it from the current commander in chief - who just LOVES to use it regularly.
                    It seems to me, in both of these cases, that you're misreading people who are agreeing with you for once; their quips are not directed at you, but the one to whom you replied.
                    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                    sigpic
                    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                      You mean the one where both sides were after electoral college votes, not the popular vote, because that's how the election is won.
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Yes, you are showing me one extreme case, and I understand that Democrats are guilty of it as well, heck, they started it, way back in the 1800's I believe. But the Republicans have taken it to a whole new level, and that, along with all of their voter suppression tactics, is completely undermining the democratic process. Democrat voters far outnumber republicans nationally, and yet we have a republican president, and in many states democrat voters outnumber republican voters and yet they have less representation in those state legislatures. And btw, every election cycle you see the republicans coming up with new ways in their attempts at suppressing democrat voters which is not something you see the democrats doing to republican voters.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                          Are you... are you serious?
                          Even if a corrupt official were to stuff the ballot boxes, an election can still be valid.
                          “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                          “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                          “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                            Even if a corrupt official were to stuff the ballot boxes, an election can still be valid.
                            wow
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              wow
                              As I've said many times, I find his trolling to be refreshingly obvious.
                              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                              sigpic
                              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment