Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Midterms and Discord

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    Actually - there are many "undocumented immigrants" that are here perfectly legally. It happens when they cross at legal check points and apply for asylum. Whie they are awaiting their asylum hearing - they are undocumented immigrants.

But even those undocumented immigrants who cross the border illegally and go into hiding - while they broke the law crossing the border, there is still no law that says they cannot participate as a volunteer in pretty much anything. There IS a law that says they cannot vote. There are laws about not hiring them for work. There is no law that says they cannot volunteer. Engaging them is politically stupid - and it's dangerous for the undocumented immigrant who is exposing themselves - but it's not illegal.
    I love it. No matter what anyone says, you just HAVE to find a way to be right, even when you have to stretch the circumstances "Actually - there are many "undocumented immigrants" that are here perfectly legally." ROFL.

You just love to argue Carp. Like your convoluted reasoning with OBP about flag burning. Can't just say, "you are right. I was wrong" - nope, you have to make up strange motivations for flag burners to keep from admitting OBP is correct.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
      The funny thing is, is that the democrats actually have reason to call the elections into question, not because the voting systems are somehow rigged, but because of the suppression tactics carried out by republicans all around the country. Once republicans take over a state legislature they immediately go to work enacting voter suppression laws and doing extreme gerrymandering of districts wherin even though more people vote democrat, just as is the case nationally, the state houses remain in republican control.
      The democrats do the same. I can't understand why the voters let them get away with it.
      Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
      MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
        The democrats do the same. I can't understand why the voters let them get away with it.
        Democrats don't enact voter suppression laws, and their gerrymandering districts, which though legal, should be accomplished by neutral parties, does not go to the extreme ridiculous and obvious way that republicans do for which they have been challenged in court for, and have lost.
        Last edited by JimL; 10-25-2018, 09:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          I love it. No matter what anyone says, you just HAVE to find a way to be right, even when you have to stretch the circumstances "Actually - there are many "undocumented immigrants" that are here perfectly legally." ROFL.
          Well, it's kind of hard to argue with the facts.

You just love to argue Carp.
          Of course I like a spirited debate. Why would anyone post here if they didn't?

Like your convoluted reasoning with OBP about flag burning. Can't just say, "you are right. I was wrong" - nope, you have to make up strange motivations for flag burners to keep from admitting OBP is correct.
          On this incorrect mind-reading, I have no further observation except to note the multiple times I have acknowledged error when that error has been adequately demonstrated. When it has not...
          The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Breaking News! Trump says he agrees with Obama 100% on immigration policy!!!

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...gration-policy

Comment

Democrats don't enact voter suppression laws, and their gerrymandering districts, which though legal, should be accomplished by neutral parties, does not go to the extreme ridiculous and obvious way that republicans do for which they have been challenged in court for, and have lost.
              Jim, I think a good argument can be made that the only reason Democrats did not gerrymander to the extent Republicans did was that they never made a focused effort to secure the widespread legislative control they would need to do so. I fully expect them to make every effort to try to fix that in the coming years.

Here's the problem Republicans and conservatives face: they taught the Democrats a powerful lesson, but they lack the numbers to sustain their initiative. Most of this country is not conservative - it's liberal/progressive/moderate. Democrats outnumber Republicans 44M to 32M. So when Democrats begin applying the techniques they learned from the Republicans in 2018, and which the Republicans have successfully pushed to make "legal" via SCOTUS, their superior numbers will make a significant difference. If the Democrats can take the House in 2018 when it is so badly gerrymandered, keeping it when it is not will not be a major issue. The Senate is harder because there are simply more red states than blue states, so the Senate will likely always be a contest, unless democrats can successfully get DC and Puerto Rico to become states.

I don't outline any of this with any joy. It's a sign of a broken system when this kind of political maneuvering drives our system. But I am not naive enough to think it will ever significantly change (much as I wish it would).
              The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Breaking News! Trump says he agrees with Obama 100% on immigration policy!!!

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...gration-policy
                Excellent! I wonder who tweeted that for him.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                  Jim, I think a good argument can be made that the only reason Democrats did not gerrymander to the extent Republicans did was that they never made a focused effort to secure the widespread legislative control they would need to do so. I fully expect them to make every effort to try to fix that in the coming years.

Here's the problem Republicans and conservatives face: they taught the Democrats a powerful lesson, but they lack the numbers to sustain their initiative. Most of this country is not conservative - it's liberal/progressive/moderate. Democrats outnumber Republicans 44M to 32M. So when Democrats begin applying the techniques they learned from the Republicans in 2018, and which the Republicans have successfully pushed to make "legal" via SCOTUS, their superior numbers will make a significant difference. If the Democrats can take the House in 2018 when it is so badly gerrymandered, keeping it when it is not will not be a major issue. The Senate is harder because there are simply more red states than blue states, so the Senate will likely always be a contest, unless democrats can successfully get DC and Puerto Rico to become states.

I don't outline any of this with any joy. It's a sign of a broken system when this kind of political maneuvering drives our system. But I am not naive enough to think it will ever significantly change (much as I wish it would).
                  Sure, but you're proving my point. If the minority party, the republicans, have taught the majority party, the democrats, a powerful lesson here, then it is the republicans who are the guilty party here, not the democrats.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    Excellent! I wonder who tweeted that for him.
                    Bill Clinton?

Comment

If the minority party, the republicans, have taught the majority party, the democrats...
                      Did you miss the last election, JimL?

Comment

Counterexample of extreme and ridiculous democrat gerrymandering
                        Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                        MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Bill Clinton?
                          oh wait, Trump does agree with Bill too!

---
                          Obama is not the only Democrat cited by Trump and his supporters to justify crackdowns on illegal immigration. Another is former President Bill Clinton, whose State of the Union address in 1995 featured the following:

"All Americans ... are rightly disturbed by the large numbers of illegal aliens entering our country," Clinton said that night. "The jobs they hold might otherwise be held by citizens or legal immigrants. The public service they use impose burdens on our taxpayers. That's why our administration has moved aggressively to secure our borders more by hiring a record number of new border guards, by deporting twice as many criminal aliens as ever before, by cracking down on illegal hiring, by barring welfare benefits to illegal aliens.

"We are a nation of immigrants," Clinton added. "But we are also a nation of laws. It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years, and we must do more to stop it."

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/tru...gration-policy

Comment

Go post this somewhere:

"We are a nation of immigrants. But we are also a nation of laws. It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years, and we must do more to stop it."
                            -President Donald Trump

and watch liberal heads explode. Then once the commotion dies down, say, "Oh, sorry, that was actually President Bill Clinton!" and then watch their heads explode all over again.

Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                              Go post this somewhere:

"We are a nation of immigrants. But we are also a nation of laws. It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years, and we must do more to stop it."
                              -President Donald Trump

and watch liberal heads explode. Then once the commotion dies down, say, "Oh, sorry, that was actually President Bill Clinton!" and then watch their heads explode all over again.

Ya know, I've often thought about that on other issues, but I think the libs and the MSM (but I repeat myself) are so hyperfocused on their agenda that they would just continue to "expose" the conservative for saying something dumb. It's that crazy.
                              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Or this:

"Those who enter the country illegally and those who employ them disrespect the rule of law and they are showing disregard for those who are following the law. We simply cannot allow people to pour into the United States undetected, undocumented, unchecked, and circumventing the line of people who are waiting patiently, diligently and lawfully to become immigrants into this country."
                                -President Donald Trump

and then quietly inform the liberal mobs that it was really Obama.
                                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment