Announcement

Collapse

Theology 201 Guidelines

This is the forum to discuss the spectrum of views within Christianity on God's foreknowledge and election such as Calvinism, Arminianism, Molinism, Open Theism, Process Theism, Restrictivism, and Inclusivism, Christian Universalism and what these all are about anyway. Who is saved and when is/was their salvation certain? How does God exercise His sovereignty and how powerful is He? Is God timeless and immutable? Does a triune God help better understand God's love for mankind?

While this area is for the discussion of these doctrines within historic Christianity, all theists interested in discussing these areas within the presuppositions of and respect for the Christian framework are welcome to participate here. This is not the area for debate between nontheists and theists, additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream evangelical doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101 Nontheists seeking only theistic participation only in a manner that does not seek to undermine the faith of others are also welcome - but we ask that Moderator approval be obtained beforehand.

Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 or General Theistics 101 forum without such restrictions. Theists who wish to discuss these issues outside the parameters of orthodox Christian doctrine are invited to Unorthodox Theology 201.

Remember, our forum rules apply here as well. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The Simplicity of the Gospel in One Word

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by FarEastBird View Post
    First, and foremost, we should not tell the blind to guide himself. "If the blind leads the blind, as Jesus says, "both will fall on the ditch." Yet simple as it may, many Christians lead others to learn about the gospel, but not knowing the truth of the gospel. Armed with their ability to make examination of the written word of God, they thought they can search, by their own, the truth of the will of God.

And even, there is more far evil that is happening in these present time. For as much as most of us understand that man cannot simply understand the word of God, yet many of us put the authority of interpretations of the word of God unto people who were esteemed merely because of their exemplary wits, and academic excellence. And in this culture of judging authority, people tend to ignore the truth that it is God who sends the people to speak His word unto men.

Now here is the mystery. God, since the beginning, had disallowed us to live ourselves according to our wisdom, this mystery is being shadowed unto us from the story of Adam and Eve. But how would we come know the evilness of trying to live with our own knowledge and understanding, unless we come to experience it ourselves? At the very beginning we are commanded not to lean on our own understanding, yet it necessitates God to command us to live on our knowledge and understanding, just for us to know the evil of leaning on our own understanding. So know and understand the true reason of why we were given laws and commandments. The commandment for us to lean on our understanding was given before the time of Christ. And when Christ came, he taught us the truth of our salvation, where a different law and covenant is given unto us. He had given us the knowledge of the truth.

So, though I tell everyone to walk according to wisdom, one should realize that no one can search out the truth of God by their own. If one cannot understand, or would not accept, their ignorance of the gospel, they would not even realize the very evil that is happening unto them. If one cannot accept ignorance of the gospel, he will keep leaning in his own understanding.
    Firstly: Jesus was prone to quote Isaiah. Often he quoted the text that basically says the seeing will be blind and the hearing will be deaf. Generally, imu, he directed such to both the then religious Jews, their leaders and even those presumed to believe in his prophetic vision. John 8 is interesting, herein the last referees are thoses A.John described as believing in Jesus (presumably as the Christ but presumably because he preached against the Temple) were preparing to kill him...

Consider: God had Adam state that man and woman be as (if) one flesh. Adam ate of the forbidden fruit in accord with this directive. God then punished him??? According to Gen 3:17, firstly for obeying the second directive and secondarily for disobeying the primary directive. Why was this so? Have a think about it (wisdom vs knowledge)!!!
    Last edited by apostoli; 09-30-2014, 01:13 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by apostoli View Post
      Firstly: Jesus was prone to quote Isaiah. Often he quoted the text that basically says the seeing will be blind and the hearing will be deaf. Generally, imu, he directed such to both the then religious Jews, their leaders and even those presumed to believe in his prophetic vision. John 8 is interesting, herein the last referees are thoses A.John described as believing in Jesus (presumably as the Christ but presumably because he preached against the Temple) were preparing to kill him...

But as concerning Christ coming to make the Jews blind, He was speaking/referring of his of coming to teach the truth of salvation. As Paul said, the Jews were the guides to the blind, judging from the law (Rom 2:17-20). But when Christ came and taught grace and truth, it made the Jews blind.

Actually, the Jews knew of the coming of the Messiah to give the final word of God, and thus, by nature, they knew that their knowledge as guide is imperfect. Though the Jews have imperfect knowledge as guide, yet it is a necessary step for men to be under the law to attain to the knowledge of faith. But hence the Jews rejected Christ they were totally blinded.

Consider: God had Adam state that man and woman be as (if) one flesh. Adam ate of the forbidden fruit in accord with this directive. God then punished him??? According to Gen 3:17, firstly for obeying the second directive and secondarily for disobeying the primary directive. Why was this so? Have a think about it (wisdom vs knowledge)!!!
      ...WISDOM giveth life to them that have it. (Ecclesiastes 7:12)
      ...the ISLES shall wait for his law (Isaiah 42:4)
      https://philippinesinprophecies.wordpress.com/

Comment

Pardon me. I do not really get the gist of your post.

But as concerning Christ coming to make the Jews blind, He was speaking/referring of his of coming to teach the truth of salvation. As Paul said, the Jews were the guides to the blind, judging from the law (Rom 2:17-20). But when Christ came and taught grace and truth, it made the Jews blind.

Actually, the Jews knew of the coming of the Messiah to give the final word of God, and thus, by nature, they knew that their knowledge as guide is imperfect. Though the Jews have imperfect knowledge as guide, yet it is a necessary step for men to be under the law to attain to the knowledge of faith. But hence the Jews rejected Christ they were totally blinded.
        Hello FarEastBird,

Firstly, have a read of Isaiah and the Gospels. As i said, Jesus was fond of quoting Isaiah. Especially the texts that have it, that God made the Jews blind and deaf (particularly concerning the advent of their Messiah).

Next: Have you not noticed that not once did Jesus ever reveal himself as the Messiah to any Jew (including his disciples). For those that came to believe in him, it was a matter of Revelation (eg: Peter). However, Jesus did reveal himself directly to the Samaritan woman (Jn 4) and his first mass conversion (as reported in scripture) was amoungst the Samaritans... Have a think about it!!!

Comment

Hello FarEastBird,

Firstly, have a read of Isaiah and the Gospels. As i said, Jesus was fond of quoting Isaiah. Especially the texts that have it, that God made the Jews blind and deaf (particularly concerning the advent of their Messiah).

Next: Have you not noticed that not once did Jesus ever reveal himself as the Messiah to any Jew (including his disciples). For those that came to believe in him, it was a matter of Revelation (eg: Peter). However, Jesus did reveal himself directly to the Samaritan woman (Jn 4) and his first mass conversion (as reported in scripture) was amoungst the Samaritans... Have a think about it!!!
          If you are implying that I should not trust the apostles and disciples, even Paul, them being Jews, then you are being absurd. Check your line of reasoning/examination.

It is true that, that at first, Christ did not reveal himself openly to the apostles and disciples. However, the disciples themselves were waiting for him as the one to come (John 1:45). Not until Christ's resurrection was when he revealed himself openly unto them.

Luke 24:44-49
          44 And he said unto them, These are the words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the law of Moses, and in the prophets, and in the psalms, concerning me. 45 Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures, 46 And said unto them, Thus it is written, and thus it behoved Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day: 47 And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem. 48 And ye are witnesses of these things. 49 And, behold, I send the promise of my Father upon you: but tarry ye in the city of Jerusalem, until ye be endued with power from on high.

And for what its worth, the bible were written as men are being moved by the spirit of God (2Pet 1:20), and He even used an unworthy prophet to utter blessing. So don't apply the humanness of those whom God used to give his word.

Comment

If you are implying that I should not trust the apostles and disciples, even Paul, them being Jews, then you are being absurd. Check your line of reasoning/examination.

It is true that, that at first, Christ did not reveal himself openly to the apostles and disciples. However, the disciples themselves were waiting for him as the one to come (John 1:45). Not until Christ's resurrection was when he revealed himself openly unto them.

Luke 24:44-49
            44 And he said unto them, These are the words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the law of Moses, and in the prophets, and in the psalms, concerning me. 45 Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures, 46 And said unto them, Thus it is written, and thus it behoved Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day: 47 And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem. 48 And ye are witnesses of these things. 49 And, behold, I send the promise of my Father upon you: but tarry ye in the city of Jerusalem, until ye be endued with power from on high.

And for what its worth, the bible were written as men are being moved by the spirit of God (2Pet 1:20), and He even used an unworthy prophet to utter blessing. So don't apply the humanness of those whom God used to give his word.
            It is a great pity that you are deaf and blind to scripture!!!!

In no way have I implied we "should not trust the apostles and disciples, even Paul, them being Jews" That is an absurdity of your own imagination. Thus I suggest "you are being absurd. Check your line of reasoning/examination".

The fact is, given you have read scripture, Jesus at no time directly admitted to being the promised Messiah to any Jew, including his disciples! The fact had to be advanced, according to Jesus, by Revelation!!!

As I remarked before: Jesus did reveal himself to the Samaritan woman, and consequently the first mass conversion towards Jesus was amoungst the Samaritans (not any Jewish congregation). It is a simple biblical fact. No dispute necessary - fully witnessed!!!

Comment

It is a great pity that you are deaf and blind to scripture!!!!

In no way have I implied we "should not trust the apostles and disciples, even Paul, them being Jews" That is an absurdity of your own imagination. Thus I suggest "you are being absurd. Check your line of reasoning/examination".
              I stand corrected then.

The fact is, given you have read scripture, Jesus at no time directly admitted to being the promised Messiah to any Jew, including his disciples! The fact had to be advanced, according to Jesus, by Revelation!!!

As I remarked before: Jesus did reveal himself to the Samaritan woman, and consequently the first mass conversion towards Jesus was amoungst the Samaritans (not any Jewish congregation). It is a simple biblical fact. No dispute necessary - fully witnessed!!!

To say that Jesus revealed himself to the Samaritan, nor revealed himself unto the Samaritans is mere speculation. To claim himself as a Messiah does not equate to "revealing" himself. Christ himself said, I am sent unto the lost sheep of Israel. Note what Jesus said:

John 4:22
              22 Ye worship ye know not what: we know what we worship: for salvation is of the Jews.

The Jews are the ones who are accounted to teach the word of God(Rom 3:2). And when the Disciples preached, their main goal is to spread the gospel to the Jews "first" (Acts 13:46). So you are mistaken to think that Christ "revealed" himself unto the Samaritans.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pentecost View Post
                Immanuel

(Why is my good word apparently different from FarEastBirds?)
                Ummm try AGAPAO. Immanuel isn't even close.

Comment

• If you lack love, God isn't in you and you aren't in HIM, so that name is worthless alone. 1 JOhn 4:16-19

Comment

• Originally posted by HeteroDoxic View Post
                    Ummm try AGAPAO. Immanuel isn't even close.
                    Hey, uh HeteroDoxic, did you read the thread? It started as me calling out FarEastBird for his perceived Gnostic tendencies. I eventually left for reasons I think I alluded to slightly, and due to clinical depression guiding me towards interpersonal apathy, combined with anxiety of returning once it past. I have no excuse for fleeing this thread when I did, but...

I was browsing TWeb for the first time in a while and saw you respond to me. Hi, nice to meet you. I don't disagree with you that God is love, I think we just used different phrasings.

I would go back and respond to those I abandoned, but I'm fairly sure this thread was dead before you Necro'd it...

Just realized this guy was banned. D'oh!
                    Does he who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you do so by works of the law, or by hearing with faith? -Galatians 3:5

Comment

• we were busy while you were gone.
                      Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

• Hey sister! :) I assumed everything would carry on without me, but I'm glad to be back lurking, (although until I get a computer I am hesitant to return to posting, because YUCK when I try to read what I've said (darn autocorrect and darn my spelling errors both!)
                        Does he who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you do so by works of the law, or by hearing with faith? -Galatians 3:5

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X