Announcement

Collapse

Theology 201 Guidelines

This is the forum to discuss the spectrum of views within Christianity on God's foreknowledge and election such as Calvinism, Arminianism, Molinism, Open Theism, Process Theism, Restrictivism, and Inclusivism, Christian Universalism and what these all are about anyway. Who is saved and when is/was their salvation certain? How does God exercise His sovereignty and how powerful is He? Is God timeless and immutable? Does a triune God help better understand God's love for mankind?

While this area is for the discussion of these doctrines within historic Christianity, all theists interested in discussing these areas within the presuppositions of and respect for the Christian framework are welcome to participate here. This is not the area for debate between nontheists and theists, additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream evangelical doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101 Nontheists seeking only theistic participation only in a manner that does not seek to undermine the faith of others are also welcome - but we ask that Moderator approval be obtained beforehand.

Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 or General Theistics 101 forum without such restrictions. Theists who wish to discuss these issues outside the parameters of orthodox Christian doctrine are invited to Unorthodox Theology 201.

Remember, our forum rules apply here as well. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The Simplicity of the Gospel in One Word

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    More of that "holier than thou" attitude.

Yep - but at least the edit makes the thing coherent.

I'm a saint!!!!
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Pentecost View Post
      The LDS church as a whole has recieved a false Christ same with JW, and Word of Faith teachers, you're right. But Jed makes the good point that individuals within those groups may be "crypto-orthodox" if you will accept such a term.
      So then one has to discern, and know, who the true Christ is. So the gospel is not really explained in your one word as you claim.
      Last edited by FarEastBird; 05-04-2014, 07:20 AM.
      ...WISDOM giveth life to them that have it. (Ecclesiastes 7:12)
      ...the ISLES shall wait for his law (Isaiah 42:4)
      https://philippinesinprophecies.wordpress.com/

Comment

There is indeed more to the gospel than one word, I as a classical Pentecostal would use terms like "Savior," "Healer," "Baptizer," and "soon-coming King" in reference to Christ and His part as being the God with us. My point was that it is much simpler than you seemed to make it out to be.
        Does he who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you do so by works of the law, or by hearing with faith? -Galatians 3:5

Comment

Originally posted by Pentecost View Post
          There is indeed more to the gospel than one word, I as a classical Pentecostal would use terms like "Savior," "Healer," "Baptizer," and "soon-coming King" in reference to Christ and His part as being the God with us. My point was that it is much simpler than you seemed to make it out to be.
          You said it yourself above: "There is indeed more to the gospel than one word." Putting it in less words would ruin the real message of the gospel. It makes obvious to me that you would not have known the mystery of the kingdom of God, which is part of the gospel. Your way of putting the gospel in one word proves that you do not actually know what the gospel is all about.

Hopefully you stop playing with the word of God, it is not a game.

Comment

Originally posted by FarEastBird View Post
            You said it yourself above: "There is indeed more to the gospel than one word." Putting it in less words would ruin the real message of the gospel. It makes obvious to me that you would not have known the mystery of the kingdom of God, which is part of the gospel. Your way of putting the gospel in one word proves that you do not actually know what the gospel is all about.

Should we be bowing before you? Perhaps kiss your big toe?
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Should we be bowing before you? Perhaps kiss your big toe?
              No. I hope that you seek the truth, and not just merely assume, or pretend, that you are somebody else who knew.

Comment

No. I hope that you seek the truth, and not just merely assume, or pretend, that you are somebody else who knew.
                And, perhaps one day you will realize you're just a sinner saved by grace --- if, indeed, you are saved.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

And, perhaps one day you will realize you're just a sinner saved by grace --- if, indeed, you are saved.
                  Salvation will be given to those who know the truth, not the pretenders who know the truth.

Accepting yourself as a sinner for not knowing why you are a sinner, will not stop you from sinning. If you are indeed freed from the bondage of sin, you will indeed be freed from sinning.

Comment

Salvation will be given to those who know the truth, not the pretenders who know the truth.

Accepting yourself as a sinner for not knowing why you are a sinner, will not stop you from sinning. If you are indeed freed from the bondage of sin, you will indeed be freed from sinning.
                    I had lobster bites from Long John Silver!

Comment

Gnosticism.
                      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                        Gnosticism.
                        Isn't that heretical? Or is that in reference to some guy's insistence that salvation is dependent on proper knowledge? Does he think that babies/fetuses are doomed if they die to their lack of knowing?
                        If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

"Kahahaha! Let's get lunatic!"-Add LP
                          "And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin is pride that apes humility"-Samuel Taylor Coleridge
                          Oh ye of little fiber. Do you not know what I've done for you? You will obey. ~Cerealman for Prez.

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                            Isn't that heretical? Or is that in reference to some guy's insistence that salvation is dependent on proper knowledge? Does he think that babies/fetuses are doomed if they die to their lack of knowing?
                            I think FarEastBird is spouting heresy, yes.
                            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

What in the world is he even talking about?

I have no clue what that is supposed to even mean. I would like to see him say what happens to dead babies and those otherwise incapable of making a decision. God is omniscient/. There is no way we could ever know all that He knows and He'd know all of our misconceptions.
                              If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

I'm sorry I mispoke then. Because I do think knowing God is with us is the core of the Christian message Jesus came to us and was among us in the flesh and the Spirit is with us in well, spirit. Immanuel is the message and while you can explain that word ad naseum to mean so much more to give a more defined meaning. It is sufficient and I think you know exactly what I am getting at but don't want to understand it.

But frankly it is not an issue of knowledge, for do not even demons know there is one God? You are contorting the purpose of the words in the same way Simon the magus and Valentinus. Fore, I suspect that if I asked if you sin so that grace may abound that you would say "Yes!" As those other did as recorded by Irenaeus. Do you know you seem as a wolf in sheeps clothing?

@Christianbookworm Yes, he reminds me of the Gnostics as well as Jedediah and I believe him to be a modern revivalist of an old heresy condemned for millenia, just as the Arian JWs or Sabellian Oneness "Jesus Onlys."
                                Last edited by Pentecost; 05-06-2014, 03:49 AM.
                                Does he who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you do so by works of the law, or by hearing with faith? -Galatians 3:5

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X