Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Epic Jawbone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epic Jawbone

...When he came to Lehi, the Philistines came shouting to meet him; and the spirit of the Lord rushed on him, and the ropes that were on his arms became like flax that has caught fire, and his bonds melted off his hands. Then he found a fresh jawbone of a donkey, reached down and took it, and with it he killed a thousand men. And Samson said,

“With the jawbone of a donkey,
    heaps upon heaps,
    with the jawbone of a donkey
    I have slain a thousand men.”

If we had a video recording of the battle above, that was clearly of epic proportions, precisely what would we see? For example, how did the Philistine battalion arrange itself in opposition to Samson to the point that Samson was able to work his way through 1000 soldiers with a jawbone? Was he just smacking them one-by-one? How did this battle literally play out?

He made it into a boomerang and threw it at them while they were lined up.

Comment

Multiple people attacking one person can get in each others' way. He was probably larger than the norm, giving him greater reach, and may well have been blessed with supernatural speed as well as strength.
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

They all came at him one at a time. Just like in the movies.

Does it really matter?

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

It could also be that when they say "a thousand" that it is not meant to be seen as an exact number but rather an indication that he slew a very large number.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            It could also be that when they say "a thousand" that it is not meant to be seen as an exact number but rather an indication that he slew a very large number.
            That is almost certainly the case.
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              Trump wrote the bible?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                Trump wrote the bible?
                Samson... Trump... both have hair issues...

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Thank you all, very much so, for your input.

I think we can all agree that this was an epic; nay, jaw-dropping battle, indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrawly View Post

I think we can all agree that this was an epic; nay, jaw-dropping battle, indeed.
                    smiley jawdrop.gif

Comment

Originally posted by Scrawly View Post

I think some people might have a bone to pick with you about that joke.

Comment

At least it doesn’t say he used a dragon’s jaw:

Ancalagon, also known as Ancalagon the Black, was the greatest of all winged dragons. He was bred by ... The name Ancalagon is Sindarin, meaning "Rushing Jaws" from anca ("jaws") and the root alak ...”

http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Ancalagon

That really would be epic.

Comment

Originally posted by Rushing Jaws View Post
                          At least it doesn’t say he used a dragon’s jaw:

Ancalagon, also known as Ancalagon the Black, was the greatest of all winged dragons. He was bred by ... The name Ancalagon is Sindarin, meaning "Rushing Jaws" from anca ("jaws") and the root alak ...”

http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Ancalagon

That really would be epic.

So... you're calling yourself a dragon?

sigpic

Comment

mosshum.gif

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                              [ATTACH=CONFIG]33339[/ATTACH]
                              Brings back fond memories of Dracochronicler and his rants about Yahweh being a fire-breathing dragon.

Comment