Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

Does It Matter If The Resurrection Is A Metaphor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does It Matter If The Resurrection Is A Metaphor?

Who cares if the resurrection is literal or not?

Link.

-----

Does it matter if the resurrection was literal? Let's plunge into the Deeper Waters and find out.

Wednesday night, I was at the debate between my father-in-law, Mike Licona, and John Dominic Crossan about who the historical Jesus was and how he saw himself. I hate to say it, but it really wasn't much of a debate because I don't think anyone really understood what Crossan was arguing. Crossan was putting practically everything into the world of metaphor and saying that the message was a metaphor and that he would die for a metaphor and if the resurrection is literal, what difference would it make? The real question is are we living resurrected lives.

When I got up to ask a question, I said my wife and I enjoy being married. Still, we wonder what will happen when our time comes. Will we be together forever? I replied that a literal resurrection can assure us that we will be. What hope can a metaphor give us?

The reply was something along the lines of how the message was not the resurrection of individuals but that the human race would overcome. The violence of Rome would be overthrown by non-violence. This is supposedly the good news of Jesus.

There are a number of things I wonder about this, such as how this Jesus got crucified. Despite that, there is one thing I want to focus on. The resurrection. Does it make a difference if it's a metaphor or literal?

I'm not going to go into making a whole case for the resurrection. That has been done plenty of times elsewhere. I am going to be emphasizing the difference it makes and to be fair, it is easy to miss this many times.

One big difference is that we live in a world where death is a reality. We see it all around us. We know that when the game over comes for someone, it really is game over barring a miracle. It's a sad reality. When we bury a loved one, they are dead, and the relationship is not the same.

Will it ever be? Is that it?

We live in a world of injustice. Recently here in Atlanta, we had a police officer shot who died from that and his killer was found within 48 hours and also died when he pulled out a weapon on police officers. There are many crimes that take place and sadly, the culprit is never found. Some people seem to go free.

Will there ever be justice?

Sometimes people die from disease. Our friend, Nabeel Qureshi, died from stomach cancer at an extremely young age. Just today in my Facebook memories I saw something about a friend who passed away last year. She was an older lady, but it's still hard to see.

Will this ever be righted?

What about our universe itself? Some of you out there I am sure believe we are responsible for some climate change. We live in a world there does seem to be a lot of destruction. We want to colonize other planets, but even if we do, the universe is destined to die a cold death and take us with it.

Is there any point?

What about our bodies themselves? Do they matter? Are human beings just objects. Does it matter what I do with my body? Does it matter how I behave sexually or how my diet is?

What difference does it make?

This is why the resurrection matters? Will we live again and see each other again? Yes. Will evil be judged and good rewarded? Yes. Will lives be redeemed that died from tragic disease? Yes. Will the Earth and the universe be renewed and made eternal paradises? Yes. Do our bodies matter and how we treat them? Yes.

The resurrection matters.

It matters that it's literal.

I think I'll stick with the literal resurrection. That's the good news that overcame the Earth. Christianity isn't just a nice story. It's a reality about the world and everything in it.

In Christ,
    Nick Peters

Those interested in the debate can listen to it here.

There's a lot of hate on that video. Mostly atheists who are salty. Nice work Nick.

Comment

I have a strict policy against reading comments

Comment

Didn't Paul already settle this? If the dead are not, raised, then Christ has not been raised. If Christ has not been raised, then our faith is in vain. Or something like that.
        If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Crossan is an interesting guy. Just from an objective point of view, he has a delightful, engaging writing style, even though he's usually very wrong.

When I was in seminary, we had to read a Crossan book, on The Lord's Prayer. I knew I was going to critique it but I didn't know where my professor stood so I was very measured in doing so. I acknowledged everything he got right and still launched a full critique, and got an A.

He considered the Lord's Prayer in economic terms, focusing on "debts" as a literal call to forgive all financial debts. Since most churches say "sins" instead of "debts", it was an interesting perspective to consider. He also says that the Bible supports an idea called "Enoughism", which is that all people should at least have enough to survive. I thought, fair enough, that does sound biblical. Later in the book, he went further off the deep end and dismissed the book of Revelation as too violent.
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
            Didn't Paul already settle this? If the dead are not, raised, then Christ has not been raised. If Christ has not been raised, then our faith is in vain. Or something like that.
            Yup, if Christ be not raised from the dead, we might as well all quit and go home. Or something like that.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

That's why I have a hard time when Christians say "Christianity is not about going to heaven". Paul seems pretty clear to the contrary there.
              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                That's why I have a hard time when Christians say "Christianity is not about going to heaven". Paul seems pretty clear to the contrary there.
                Yeah, since Christianity is "all about Jesus", and that's where He's gonna be - I wanna be there with Him!
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                  In that context, he's talking about resurrection. I think we can make it too much about that. At a church my wife and I once attended, the pastor said a closing prayer every Sunday with the idea that without the Lord you cannot get to Heaven so come into my heart and be my savior from this day forward.

You didn't even need to mention Jesus or sins or confess them and ask forgiveness apparently. You just want to go to Heaven.

I have a problem with that.

I also have a problem when it comes to Heaven being seen as we become angels or disembodied in some way. Resurrection first. Heaven second.

Comment

And that verse was brought up, but Crossan still sees it his way.

Comment

Get ye behind me.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        Yup, if Christ be not raised from the dead, we might as well all quit and go home. Or something like that.
                        I Corinthians 15

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by TheWall View Post
                          Get ye behind me.
                          In one of the Little Raskals episodes (Fish Hooky) Stymie says "Get the behind me Satan, and DON'T PUSH"

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                            In one of the Little Raskals episodes (Fish Hooky) Stymie says "Get the behind me Satan, and DON'T PUSH"
                            Now that is funny.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post
                              I have a strict policy against reading comments
                              These comments being the exception I imagine.

Comment