Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Active Shooter At Synagogue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Roy View Post
    Here are the numbers:

Anti-abortion: 4
    Anti-Semitism: 16
    White supremacy: 34
    Other right-wing extremism: 3

Islamic extremism: 100

Left-wing extremism: 0

Other mass shootings: 168
    Other miscellaneous attacks: 5

So that's 64% Islamic, 36% right-wing, 0% left-wing or 30% Islamic, 17% right-wing, 0% left wing, 52% other, if non-political mass shootings are included.

Note the complete lack of fatalities due to left-wing terrorism.

(sources: terrorism, mass shootings)
    This does not (of course, the synagogue incident was a shooting) include the Oklahoma_City_bombing But I would think if one was to define sources of local terrorism by political or religious affiliation in the US, one would need to include events like that. Abortion clinic bombings too. I am unsure if there exist analogues events on the liberal side? They certainly exist relative to Islamic terrorism, though I'm not sure any locally sourced events exceed Oklahoma City.

Jim
    Last edited by oxmixmudd; 10-29-2018, 08:31 AM.
    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
      This does not (of course, the synagogue incident was a shooting) include the Oklahoma_City_bombing.
      Only because it happened more than 10 years ago.
      Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
      MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

I simply cannot believe that this thread has turned into another Trump hating fest.

It is absolutely outrageous to move away from the actual crime and start blabbing on and on about how it's Trump's fault!

What is wrong with you people?

Every one of you who pulls Trump into every single issue disgusts me.

A man made a choice to murder people. It's HIS fault, and HIS alone!

Good God, this is what's wrong with the world today. It's taking no responsibility for your own actions and always, always blaming somebody else! I'm so sick of it!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Here are the numbers:

Anti-abortion: 4
          Anti-Semitism: 16
          White supremacy: 34
          Other right-wing extremism: 3

Islamic extremism: 100

Left-wing extremism: 0

Other mass shootings: 168
          Other miscellaneous attacks: 5

So that's 64% Islamic, 36% right-wing, 0% left-wing or 30% Islamic, 17% right-wing, 0% left wing, 52% other, if non-political mass shootings are included.

Note the complete lack of fatalities due to left-wing terrorism.

(sources: terrorism, mass shootings)
          ...from that paragon of unbiased objectivity Wikipedia, no less!

I'm also trying to figure out how those numbers add up to "more than 75% of fatalities from acts of terror in the US have been from US right-wingers."
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose
            It's still Trump's fault.
            Originally posted by mossrose
            I simply cannot believe that this thread has turned into another Trump hating fest.

It is absolutely outrageous to move away from the actual crime and start blabbing on and on about how it's Trump's fault!

What is wrong with you people?

Every one of you who pulls Trump into every single issue disgusts me.

A man made a choice to murder people. It's HIS fault, and HIS alone!

Good God, this is what's wrong with the world today. It's taking no responsibility for your own actions and always, always blaming somebody else! I'm so sick of it!
            Well perhaps if YOU and seer hadn't dragged Trump's name into this thread in the first few posts it wouldn't have gone that way. YOU are one of the people who pulled Trump into this issue, YOU are one of those babbling about how it might be Trump's fault, and YOU are one of the people you blame for what is wrong with the world today.

So, how about instead of blaming somebody else for what YOU had a part in, you stop being a sanctimonious and repulsive hypocrite and take some responsibility for YOUR actions?
            Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Well perhaps if you and seer hadn't dragged Trump's name into this thread in the first few posts it wouldn't have gone that way. You are one of the people who pulled Trump into this issue, You are one of those babbling about how it might be Trump's fault, and you are one of the people you blame for what is wrong with the world today.

So, how about instead of blaming somebody else for what you had a part in, you stop being a sanctimonious and repulsive hypocrite and take some responsibility for your actions?

I was responding to oxmix in post #12, and I was being sarcastic. Because unlike you and your friends and the liberal media, I don't blame Trump for everything that happens in this world!
              Last edited by mossrose; 10-29-2018, 10:04 AM.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                ...from that paragon of unbiased objectivity Wikipedia, no less!
                Uh-huh. Genetic fallacy. Unless you think they're actually incorrect?
                I'm also trying to figure out how those numbers add up to "more than 75% of fatalities from acts of terror in the US have been from US right-wingers."
                Beats me. Aren't extreme Islamicists technically right-wingers? Maybe they're being double-counted.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                  I was responding to oxmix in post #12, and I was being sarcastic. Because unlike you and your friends and the liberal media, I don't blame Trump for everything that happens in this world!
                  So instead of taking responsibility for your actions, you're going to lie about mine.

I don't care if you were being sarcastic or not. YOU were one of those who brought Trump's name into this thread, so you are at least partly responsible for subsequent discussions of him.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                    All Jew Must Die, eight dead

https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2018...squirrel-hill/

Probably a neo-nazi Trump supported...
                    Actually the violent attacks on ethnic, religious and racial minorities have radically increased since Trump began his aggressive endorsing violence rhetoric against his opponents, the press, applauded physical violence against a reporter, and offered defacto support for extremist right wing groups, which in turn enthusiastically endorsed Trump for election.
                    Last edited by shunyadragon; 10-29-2018, 10:19 AM.
                    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

I do not blame tRump for everything that happens in the world either, and do not believe any one does.

. . . but . . . Actually the violent attacks on ethnic, religious and racial minorities have radically increased since Trump began his aggressive endorsing violence rhetoric against his opponents, the press, applauded physical violence against a reporter, and offered defacto support for extremist right wing groups, which in turn enthusiastically endorsed Trump for election.
                      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                        I do not blame tRump for everything that happens in the world either, and do not believe any one does.

. . . but . . . Actually the violent attacks on ethnic, religious and racial minorities have radically increased since Trump began his aggressive endorsing violence rhetoric against his opponents, the press, applauded physical violence against a reporter, and offered defacto support for extremist right wing groups, which in turn enthusiastically endorsed Trump for election.
                        It's Hillary's fault for losing.
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I don't own a post #12. So which post was it, #9?

You have a point in that Trump can't be held solely responsible for this mans actions. What I hold him accountable for is helping to create a climate where actions like this mans actions are more likely. He is not alone it that, but he is if not the major contributor, one of the major contributors. He generally wields his power as president irresponsibly. With no regard for the evil that rash, caustic and hateful words from a single man can invoke when uttered from the office of the President of the United States.

Jim
                          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                            It's Hillary's fault for losing.
                            Of course our electorial college systems bears some responsibility for electing a president that lost the popular vote by a very large margin.

The winner carries the responsibility. The Buck stops there!

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                              The winner carries the responsibility. The Buck stops there!
                              Perhaps I should have added sarcasm tags for the intellectually challenged.
                              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

So instead of taking responsibility for your actions, you're going to lie about mine.

I don't care if you were being sarcastic or not. YOU were one of those who brought Trump's name into this thread, so you are at least partly responsible for subsequent discussions of him.
                                folks nothing to see here just Roy nitpicking again.

Comment