Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Looking for good Christian music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And this one, cause I know these people - they are amazing!!! They'll sing this in THREE languages!

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Father Abraham had many sons, many sons had Father Abraham....

Yeah, just keep it up, buster.
      I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
        Yeah, just keep it up, buster.
        Hey now, that one's actually catchy. I'll take that over 90% of the P&W market (low bar, I know).
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
          Hey now, that one's actually catchy. I'll take that over 90% of the P&W market (low bar, I know).
          One of my least favorite P&W is that one where the deer is panting for water.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

One of my least favorite P&W is that one where the deer is panting for water.
            I find all too many P&W that just make me cringe, or eyeroll hard. Blech

Comment

A pastor friend of mine refers to them as "Jesus is my girlfriend" songs.

Comment

A friend of mine sent me a bunch of links similar to that Psalm 53 chant.

Comment

I've seen two extremes over the years.

One contemporary musician back in the 1990s, whose music I really like, announced at a concert that he made sure that all his music mention the name "Jesus" in the lyrics. And I thought to myself, well, that eliminates Amazing Grace.

A former church I was a member of, which no longer exists, was gradually losing its membership. Here was a church that at one time wouldn't allow an outside group to use the facilities because it had a woman pastor. But after losing a lot of members and attendance became small in a giant auditorium, the elders wanted to change its name, eliminate the word "Baptist" and make it attractive for any outside groups to come in. At the same time, it eliminated Sunday School, quit using hymnals, and limited its music to a praise & worship band. The new pastor was preaching a series on relationships out of the Letter to Ephesians. Eventually I realized that there was no mention of Jesus, no gospel message, in either the sermons, the scripture or the praise & worship music. That's when my family and I left and found a much better church.

One evening after that, I was listening to a Christian radio station. It played one entire half hour of music, I think from a single CD. Great words of praise for the entire half hour, nothing I questioned, but not one word that would suggest it was Christian, or even any phrase in a New Testament or Old Testament context. Absolutely nothing to which a unitarian or an agnostic would object.

Bottom line, don't be overly critical. There are a lot of great Christian hymns that wouldn't pass our standard test, but are still great. But when somebody offers a steady diet of praise & worship music that says absolutely nothing, I begin to wonder the sincerity of the musician's faith.

I've seen people use it just to get into a state of excitement. One person I saw seemed to be trying to get herself into a hypnotic trance with it.

At least the church we're attending has a healthy mix. Sure, there are some songs that don't mention Jesus or have a reference to any New Testament scripture, and some songs I really don't care for. But we still sing old fashioned songs from the hymnal, and the pastor preaches a clear gospel message out of the Scriptures.
                  When I Survey....

Comment

Originally posted by Faber View Post
                    ...Here was a church that at one time wouldn't allow an outside group to use the facilities because it had a woman pastor. But after losing a lot of members and attendance became small in a giant auditorium, the elders wanted to change its name, eliminate the word "Baptist"....
                    Wait... A Baptist Church with a woman pastor?

Comment

Wait... A Baptist Church with a woman pastor?
                      As far as I can parse it, I think the [Baptist] church would not allow the outside group [with a woman pastor] to use the facilities.
                      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                      sigpic
                      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                        As far as I can parse it, I think the [Baptist] church would not allow the outside group [with a woman pastor] to use the facilities.
                        Oh, THAT makes sense! Thanks. (Not that I agree with it)

Comment

If I won't get banned for posting Christmas music in October, my college did a decent rendition of "Mary Did You Know" here.

Comment

If I won't get banned for posting Christmas music in October, my college did a decent rendition of "Mary Did You Know" here.
                            As long as RTT doesn't catch you, you're good.

sigpic

Comment

Every once in a while, throughout the year, I'll have us sing a "Christmas Carol" just to point out that December (and the 25th in particular) are not the only times we celebrate His birth.

Comment

Every once in a while, throughout the year, I'll have us sing a "Christmas Carol" just to point out that December (and the 25th in particular) are not the only times we celebrate His birth.
                                I don't mind Christmas music any time of year (preferably good Christmas music), but I know that some people...not so much.

Comment