Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Is Nationalism A Dirty Word...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Nationalism A Dirty Word...

I'm a nationalist and generally a trade protectionist, and have probably been most of my adult life. I believe we should put Americans and American workers first. Being a Teamster for ten years, that was the union's thinking back then too. That we should care for our poor and needy first. Why is that wrong?
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

It's not wrong, but like many words, "nationalism" is often associated with other things.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      It's not wrong, but like many words, "nationalism" is often associated with other things.
      Right - but in the present context, and even as Trump means it, or I, there is nothing wrong with it...Yet the left keeps defining it as evil.
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
        Right - but in the present context, and even as Trump means it, or I, there is nothing wrong with it...Yet the left keeps defining it as evil.
        Because they are globalists. Any isolation is deemed wrong by them.
        That's what
        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Would anybody care if it wasn't Trump saying it?
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

No. "crevice" is a dirty word, but "Nationalism" isn't.

Also cf. Betteridge.
            Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
            MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              Would anybody care if it wasn't Trump saying it?
              Not nearly as much.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I believe there's something called nationalism, that is dark and involves insidious distrust of outsiders. But I also believe there's something called love of one's fatherland, where one came from, and taking care of the interests of one's country while loving other cultures from the vantage point of one's own.

I embrace the latter, I shun the former and I have no trouble sorting between those two.

I love my country, I love living here, and when I go to the voting polls, its mostly the interests of Denmark and my fellow country men I have on mind. I love other countries, in particular I'm fond of the US for many reasons (among other reasons for being different from my own country.)

I wear my red and white colors on myself, everyday. And if any of you doubt me, you can come over here and take off my shirt and I'll show you. I encourage seer, and any other person in the US to be proud to be an American, a Texan/Phoenician/Arizonian/Michiganite whatever you are.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                  I believe there's something called nationalism, that is dark and involves insidious distrust of outsiders. But I also believe there's something called love of one's fatherland, where one came from, and taking care of the interests of one's country while loving other cultures from the vantage point of one's own.

I embrace the latter, I shun the former and I have no trouble sorting between those two.

I love my country, I love living where I do, and when I go to the voting polls, its mostly the interests of Denmark and my fellow country men I have on mind. I love other countries, in particular I'm fond of the US for many reasons (among other reasons for being different from my own country.)

I wear my red and white colors on myself, everyday. And if any of you doubt me, you can come over here and take off my shirt and I'll show you. I encourage seer, and any other person in the US to be proud to be an American, a Texan/Phoenician/Arizonian/Michiganite whatever you are.

I think you're referring to patriotism - I think that would be a much better choice of words for Trump.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post

Comment

I think you're referring to patriotism - I think that would be a much better choice of words for Trump.

Comment

Yeah! And it doesn't, in any way, mean that we hate other countries or the people who live in them, or wish them evil.

Comment

Yeah! And it doesn't, in any way, mean that we hate other countries or the people who live in them, or wish them evil.
                          Well except France, everyone hates France...

Comment

This is rather interesting:

When asked by CNN's Robert Costa if he was concerned that his embrace of the term could be construed as "coded language" or a "dog whistle" to Americans embracing a racist ideology, Trump said he was unaware the term carried any racist connotation and defended his use of the label. https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/p...al/1748521002/
                            It reminds me quite a lot about this:

"I don't know anything about David Duke. I don't know what you're even talking about with white supremacy or white supremacist. I don't know. I don't know, did he endorse me, or what's going on?"https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/02/28/468455028/trump-wont-condemn-kkk-says-he-knows-nothing-about-white-supremacists
                            Perhaps this lack of knowledge is a little too convenient?

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                              Well except France, everyone hates France...
                              Bite your tongue. I would love to retire to Paris...
                              That's what
                              - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                              - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                              - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment