Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump To End Birthright Citizenship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trump To End Birthright Citizenship

Or at least try. I don't think any European country allows this.

Trump eyeing executive order to end birthright citizenship, a move most legal experts say runs afoul of the Constitution

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.a8ddc1198828
    Only 30 of the world’s 194 countries grant automatic citizenship to children born to illegal aliens.

Of advanced economies, Canada and the United States are the only countries that grant automatic citizenship to children born to illegal aliens.

No European country grants automatic citizenship to children of illegal aliens.

The global trend is moving away from automatic birthright citizenship as many countries that once had such policies have ended them in recent decades.

14th Amendment history seems to indicate that the Citizenship Clause was never intended to benefit illegal aliens nor legal foreign visitors temporarily present in the United States.

The U.S. Supreme Court has held that the U.S.-born children of permanent resident aliens are covered by the Citizenship Clause, but the Court has never decided whether the same rule applies to the children of aliens whose presence in the United States is temporary or illegal.

Some eminent scholars and jurists have concluded that it is within the power of Congress to define the scope of the Citizenship Clause through legislation and that birthright citizenship for the children of temporary visitors and illegal aliens could likely be abolished by statute without amending the Constitution.

https://www.cis.org/Report/Birthrigh...-United-States
    Last edited by seer; 10-30-2018, 12:17 PM.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Originally posted by seer View Post
    In Denmark it follows citizenship of the parents. If the parents are danish citizens, then their kid is a danish citizen.

The rules under Citizenship according to Danish Law says the following (translating into english for you guys).

§ 1
    Stk. 1. A child acquires citizenship at birth, if the father, or mother or co-mother is danish.
    Stk. 2. A lost child, found in this country, is considered, until further information is available, as having danish citizenship.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
      In Denmark it follows citizenship of the parents. If the parents are danish citizens, then their kid is a danish citizen.

The rules under Citizenship according to Danish Law says the following (translating into english for you guys).

§ 1
      Stk. 1. A child acquires citizenship at birth, if the father, or mother or co-mother is danish.
      Stk. 2. A lost child, found in this country, is considered, until further information is available, as having danish citizenship.
      So basically your policy is more rational...
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

I'm impressed by the inclusion of co-mothers.
        Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
        MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

I read elsewhere that Canada dropped it back in 2009.
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

And it looks like Lindsey Graham, long known as "Lindsey Gramnesty," who'll be authoring the legislation. That's quite a turn around for him.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
              I'm impressed by the inclusion of co-mothers.
              Biologically speaking what is that? A surrogate?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                Biologically speaking what is that? A surrogate?
                I think it's the donor of an egg of which the nuclear DNA is replaced. I may be wrong.
                Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  And it looks like Lindsey Graham, long known as "Lindsey Gramnesty," who'll be authoring the legislation. That's quite a turn around for him.
                  He has moved way to the right after McCain left/died.

Comment

It would make sense to not extend birthright citizenship to tourists or illegal aliens. But it should remain for legal aliens and permanent/long term residents.

The constitution leaves that wiggle room in there: "All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside."

Basically tourists don't reside in the USA, they are visiting. The wording is a bit more troublesome for illegal aliens because they are residing in a state, illegally and they ARE under the legal jurisdiction of the state and USA because otherwise they could not be prosecuted.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                      It would make sense to not extend birthright citizenship to tourists or illegal aliens. But it should remain for legal aliens and permanent/long term residents.

The constitution leaves that wiggle room in there: "All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside."

Basically tourists don't reside in the USA, they are visiting. The wording is a bit more troublesome for illegal aliens because they are residing in a state, illegally and they ARE under the legal jurisdiction of the state and USA because otherwise they could not be prosecuted.
                      One might be able to argue that illegal aliens are not "subject to the jurisdiction thereof."
                      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                      sigpic
                      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                        One might be able to argue that illegal aliens are not "subject to the jurisdiction thereof."
                        They have to be or they couldn't be arrested. Anyone IN a legal jurisdiction is subject to the laws of that jurisdiction to a certain extent.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                          They have to be or they couldn't be arrested. Anyone IN a legal jurisdiction is subject to the laws of that jurisdiction to a certain extent.
                          Since we have 5 originalists on the Court you can be sure that they will look at the intent of the writers. And I don't think there will be any hint of it applying to the children of illegals. There are certainly no past court cases that apply.

Comment

§ 1
                            What's a co-mother?
                            That's what
                            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                            - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Source: President Trump Considering Immigration Executive Order Removing Birthright Citizenship (“Anchor Babies”)…

Until the 1960s, the 14th Amendment was never applied to undocumented immigrants, illegal aliens, or temporary (Visa) immigrants/visitors. The legal issues of birthright citizenship surrounding children born to non-legal parents inside the U.S. has never been decided by the Supreme Court.

https://theconservativetreehouse.com...anchor-babies/

© Copyright Original Source

Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment