Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Majority of white evangelicals say racial diversity bad for America

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Majority of white evangelicals say racial diversity bad for America

https://www.christianpost.com/news/m...a-prri-228238/

This is really discouraging for me. There is neither Jew nor Greek in Christ. More broadly, I would think that people who allow the Holy Spirit to change them would be rid of such views. I do wonder how man of these "white evangelicals" are actually Christians, though - that is always a risk with generic polling.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

I'm no longer classed as an evangelical. However:

1) Black culture is by far the one where the nuclear family has been abandoned, and has a much higher crime rate than the norm.
    2) Hispanic culture, the other large minority group, contains a significant percentage of those who are illegal aliens and not interested in integrating with American culture.

I can understand why diversity for diversity's sake isn't something they're all gung-ho about. I agree that there is neither Jew nor Greek in Christ - but it's by and large a post-Christian nation we live in. If black culture was at least somewhat leavened by Christianity, and Hispanics (and Muslims, for that matter) were more interested in assimilation, I'd be all for it. I love the rich diversity in my church - Greeks, Russians, Arabs, Ethiopians - but we ARE all one in Christ, and that makes all the difference.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

My family is pretty diverse and I see REAL diversity (tolerating not necessarily agreeing, just to over simplify) as a positive. It has been until neo-liberal intolerant diversity took the stage. I have do not agree with "diversity for diversity's sake" by any means. I do have liberal friends, mainly from the past - I do not love them any less for our differences.
      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
        https://www.christianpost.com/news/m...a-prri-228238/

This is really discouraging for me. There is neither Jew nor Greek in Christ. More broadly, I would think that people who allow the Holy Spirit to change them would be rid of such views. I do wonder how man of these "white evangelicals" are actually Christians, though - that is always a risk with generic polling.
        I think that by "racial diversity" a lot of folks mean "balkanization" which is why there is opposition.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

This whole notion of diversity and how wonderful it is has been skewed by - as others have referenced - the "diversity for the sake of diversity" nonsense.

And I get tired of people saying "it's diversity that makes us strong" -- NO, it's UNITY in diversity that makes us strong... "out of many one".

People used to come to the US to be AMERICANS, not to be hyphenated-Americans or even anti-Americans.

I'm totally fine with LEGAL immigration, but think that illegal immigration cheats those who come here playing by the rules.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            This whole notion of diversity and how wonderful it is has been skewed by - as others have referenced - the "diversity for the sake of diversity" nonsense.

And I get tired of people saying "it's diversity that makes us strong" -- NO, it's UNITY in diversity that makes us strong... "out of many one".

People used to come to the US to be AMERICANS, not to be hyphenated-Americans or even anti-Americans.

I'm totally fine with LEGAL immigration, but think that illegal immigration cheats those who come here playing by the rules.
            The poll does not ask about diversity for the sake of diversity. It asks whether the changing in demographics is an inherently bad thing. (I personally view it as neutral.)
            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
              The poll does not ask about diversity for the sake of diversity. It asks whether the changing in demographics is an inherently bad thing. (I personally view it as neutral.)
              Yeah, I was just saying. And I'll say something else! You're a good man, Charlie Brown!!!
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

seems like a curious way to question diversity. 1. why would nonwhites say that the nation becoming a non-white majority be a bad thing? 2. Why would whites say it would be a good thing?

Everyone has some loyalty to their own race. They would naturally think that if their race were increased it would be good and decreased would be bad. It has nothing to do with being prejudiced - nobody WANTS to be in the minority.

They aren't saying blacks are racist for wanting more blacks, or hispanic for wanting more hispanic are they?

by the way, here is the original survey

https://www.prri.org/research/partis...values-survey/

Comment

I do not put much value in surveys in general.
                  Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Everyone has some loyalty to their own race. They would naturally think that if their race were increased it would be good and decreased would be bad. It has nothing to do with being prejudiced - nobody WANTS to be in the minority.
                    It is natural to think this way, but gospel values often encourage us to think in ways that aren't "natural" in human nature.

I understand not wanting to be the only one, though.

Comment

A bit late to the discussion here.

There's so many layers to this. Here's my view. White culture and conservative politics leeched into the church and married gospel directives with whiteness. That's not necessarily bad when cultural values align with biblical values (e.g., abortion and homosexuality), but this isn't always the case where valid arguments can be made to the contrary of mainline cultural values (e.g., capitalism, immigration, healthcare, etc.)

When whites say they don't value "diversity" (i.e. persons of non-white culture and values in the church ) it's probably because they've conflated the gospel with white culture. It may be wrapped in gospel clothing, but it's really a response to preserving white culture underneath. That is, traditions, behaviors, art, verbal and non-verbal communication, etc. This happened with the Brits when they colonized America and sent missionaries to the native tribes. In their effort to "convert" the heathen, they made conversion to Christ synonymous with conversion to British culture and failed miserably. They could not distinguish true conversion from inadaptability to British customs and traditions.

Whites are predisposed to ethnocentrism. White culture is default and central. Everything else is variant and wrong. It's hard not to see this when the USA sits as the undisputed king of greatness by most measures (e.g., GDP, military strength, entertainment, science & technology) and was founded by whites, governed by whites, and majorly white everywhere except urban racial enclaves, professional basketball & football, and the service industry workplace. It's very difficult for whites to see how hard it is for minority groups to succeed in a white dominated country where your cultural values (again, verbal and non-verbal communication, art, behavior, etc.) aren't appreciated or respected and you're forced to adapt to theirs. They expect minorities to first become white before they are welcomed into the church.

This mindset creeps into theology. English is God's language, soft speech is God's tone, arm-distance communication is God's comfort zone, country is God's music, semi-loose fitting jeans is God's apparel, etc. These are stereotypes of course and not everyone or every church fits into them. But the point is that white Americans unconsciously react first as white Americans and second as Christians. It's difficult for us to see the difference. And I'm white & generally conservative.

Edit: I just realized I had the church in mind and not the country. I think my opinion would be slightly different than this. I'll leave as-is in case it's worth a discussion.
                      Last edited by nico; 11-08-2018, 02:00 PM.

Comment