Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Should Trump's economy make us ignore his lying, attacks on individuals and the press

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    So you double down on the fallacy of comparing Trump to Hitler? smh.

1. Hitler used the economy to get followers. Hitler told lies.
    2. Trump used the economy to get followers. Trump tells lies.
    Therefore Trump is Hitler!!!!

Except so does every other politician.

Jim this is about the stupedist and most trolling thread you have started in civics. You should be ashamed.
    The first mistake is I did not attempt to directly compare Trump to hitler. I pointed out why we should not allow ourselves to ignore Trump's excesses because the economy is doing better right now. I am also saying that there are several aspects of what Trump is doing that are indeed very similar to what other dictators have done to secure power at other times and in other nations. And that those similarities should be setting off alarm bells in all of us

For you to dismiss that because I mention hitler or Stalin or others can only be attributed to ignorance or an unwillingness to be objective as regards what trump is doing in rallying his base and undermining the capavilion of the press to hold him accountable for his actions.

Jim
    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
      The first mistake is I did not attempt to directly compare Trump to hitler. I pointed out why we should not allow ourselves to ignore Trump's excesses because the economy is doing better right now. I am also saying that there are several aspects of what Trump is doing that are indeed very similar to what other dictators have done to secure power at other times and in other nations. And that those similarities should be setting off alarm bells in all of us
      You're full of it Jim. There is NOTHING in common between the two beyond vague nomenclature related poo flinging. Trump's a "R". That's why you don't like him.

For you to dismiss that because I mention hitler or Stalin or others can only be attributed to ignorance or an unwillingness to be objective as regards what trump is doing in rallying his base and undermining the capavilion of the press to hold him accountable for his actions.
      You're so full of crap that your eyes must be brown. Comparing Trump to ANY violent dictator is pathetic.
      That's what
      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

The first mistake is I did not attempt to directly compare Trump to hitler.
        Holy moley. Jim! That is exactly what you did. Are you trying to gaslight me or are you that ignorant of your own words? You provided an example of what Hitler did, then made a direct comparison by saying, "The simple answer is no, it should not. In fact, his mimicking of Hitlers attacks on the press, his close associations with nationalism, his approaches to immigration, his constant lying, and a clear dose of 20/20 hindsight should make us very, very cautious about excusing these things because 'some of what he does (e.g. improving unemployment) is good'."

You directly compared Trump to Hitler.

I pointed out why we should not allow ourselves to ignore Trump's excesses because the economy is doing better right now. I am also saying that there are several aspects of what Trump is doing that are indeed very similar to what other dictators have done to secure power at other times and in other nations. And that those similarities should be setting off alarm bells in all of us

Jim
        You have no credibility with me at this point Jim. You should be ashamed at your obvious trolling. Or if it is not trolling, then you should be more ashamed at your rabid bias against Trump or anyone supporting him.

Comment

Holy moley. Jim! That is exactly what you did. Are you trying to gaslight me or are you that ignorant of your own words? You provided an example of what Hitler did, then made a direct comparison by saying, "The simple answer is no, it should not. In fact, his mimicking of Hitlers attacks on the press, his close associations with nationalism, his approaches to immigration, his constant lying, and a clear dose of 20/20 hindsight should make us very, very cautious about excusing these things because 'some of what he does (e.g. improving unemployment) is good'."

You directly compared Trump to Hitler.
          In terms of how Hitler assumed power. I also compared that element to Stalin. I'm not saying Trump is the next Hitler. I am saying he is doing the same things as Hitler and Stalin did in an effort to mute the press.

You have no credibility with me at this point Jim. You should be ashamed at your obvious trolling. Or if it is not trolling, then you should be more ashamed at your rabid bias against Trump or anyone supporting him.

I haven't had credibility with any of you from the first day I started pointing out Trumps excesses and immoralities. I have tried very hard in the last few weeks to present my cases logically and with great care to avoid allowing or using any exaggerated element element in my posts. But it doesn't matter. Even if one limits oneself to the simple facts as they are it just doesn't matter.

The simple fact is, Trump is using the same tactics as other dictators have used to suppress any voices in the press that are critical of them. Pointing that out is inexcusable it would appear, but it is a simple fact.

Jim
          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
            You're full of it Jim. There is NOTHING in common between the two beyond vague nomenclature related poo flinging. Trump's a "R". That's why you don't like him.

You're so full of crap that your eyes must be brown. Comparing Trump to ANY violent dictator is pathetic.
            As I just said to Sparko. Trump is using the same tactics to suppress voices in the press critical of him that other dictators have used. And given the inability of you and others to even hear those words, I'd say he's been quite successful.

Please note that not one of you has presented even one ounce of evidence my observation is untrue. You've just blown gaskets, stomped your feet and told me how crazy I am and/or called me names.

Jim

Comment

In terms of how Hitler assumed power. I also compared that element to Stalin. I'm not saying Trump is the next Hitler. I am saying he is doing the same things as Hitler and Stalin did in an effort to mute the press.
              Nooooo! you are not 'directly comparing Trump to Hitler,' you are just 'saying he is doing the same things as Hitler.'

...Are you listening to yourself, Jim?

Comment

As I just said to Sparko. Trump is using the same tactics to suppress voices in the press critical of him that other dictators have used. And given the inability of you and others to even hear those words, I'd say he's been quite successful.

Please note that not one of you has presented even one ounce of evidence my observation is untrue. You've just blown gaskets, stomped your feet and told me how crazy I am and/or called me names.

Jim
                Because he does some of the same things as some dictator doesn't make him a dictator. Every politician loves to distract the populous with a good economy. Every politician lies.

Hitler pooped. Trump poops.
                Hitler wore pants. Trump wears pants.
                Hitler had weird hair. Trump has weird hair.
                Hitler loved animals. Trump loves animals.
                Hitler had a painting of himself hanging in his headquarters. Trump has a painting of himself in the White House.

That is about the level of comparison you are using here.

Comment

Your entire premise is just ad hominem against Trump and a result of hatred, bigotry and ignorance on your part.
                  My opening post was simply a reference to the historical facts concerning Nazi Germany making the point a good economy is not sufficient reason to ignore Trump's excesses.

My follow on posts are simply noting the fact Trump is using methods for suppressing the press that other dictators have used.

There is nothing in that which meets the definition of ad hominem. They are simple, factual observations that happen to annoy and anger you.

Jim

Comment

My opening post was simply a reference to the historical facts concerning Nazi Germany making the point a good economy is not sufficient reason to ignore Trump's excesses.

My follow on posts are simply noting the fact Trump is using methods for suppressing the press that other dictators have used.

There is nothing in that which meets the definition of ad hominem. They are simple, factual observations that happen to annoy and anger you.

Jim
                    I am not annoyed or angered. I just find such a weak argument from you to be disappointing.

Comment

Because he does some of the same things as some dictator doesn't make him a dictator. Every politician loves to distract the populous with a good economy. Every politician lies.

Hitler pooped. Trump poops.
                      Hitler wore pants. Trump wears pants.
                      Hitler had weird hair. Trump has weird hair.
                      Hitler loved animals. Trump loves animals.
                      Hitler had a painting of himself hanging in his headquarters. Trump has a painting of himself in the White House.

That is about the level of comparison you are using here.
                      Mockery is not an argument.

Where in my posts do I accuse Trump of being a dictator?

Here's a hint. Go back and read my posts and find the lines where I say that these are warning signs that we should not ignore.

When a leader,

ANY leader,

does these things, we should ALL take heed. That is what I'm saying. We ignore Trump following these patterns at our peril. And that would be true of ANYONE that followed those patterns.

Jim

Comment

They are simple, factual observations that happen to annoy and anger you.
                        At what point in your life did you discover your mind-reading skills, and how exactly did you train them to be powerful enough to work through the internet?

Comment

Nooooo! you are not 'directly comparing Trump to Hitler,' you are just 'saying he is doing the same things as Hitler.'

...Are you listening to yourself, Jim?
                          Yes. And I also understand that people who are so angered at my words they can't see straight are not capable of parsing the difference.

I'm not saying Trump is a Hitler. I'm saying any leader using the tactics Hitler or Stalin used to suppress the press is a danger to our democracy.

Can you parse the difference Sparko?

Jim

Comment

As I just said to Sparko. Trump is using the same tactics to suppress voices in the press critical of him that other dictators have used.
                            No he isn't. That's historical ignorance at its finest...

Source: https://encyclopedia.ushmm.org/content/en/article/the-press-in-the-third-reich

The elimination of the German multi-party political system brought about the demise of hundreds of newspapers produced by outlawed political parties. It also allowed the state to seize the printing plants and equipment of the Communist and Social Democratic Parties, which were often turned over directly to the Nazi Party. In the following months, the Nazis established control or exerted influence over independent press organs.

Through measures to “Aryanize” businesses, the regime also assumed control of Jewish-owned publishing companies, notably Ullstein and Mosse.

The Propaganda Ministry, through its Reich Press Chamber, assumed control over the Reich Association of the German Press, the guild which regulated entry into the profession. Under the new Editors Law of October 4, 1933, the association kept registries of “racially pure” editors and journalists, and excluded Jews and those married to Jews from the profession. Propaganda Ministry officials expected editors and journalists, who had to register with the Reich Press Chamber to work in the field, to follow the mandates and instructions handed down by the ministry. In paragraph 14 of the law, the regime required editors to omit anything “calculated to weaken the strength of the Reich abroad or at home.”

© Copyright Original Source

Now, I DARE you to show where Trump has suggested the government taking over competing and dissenting press outlets. That's right, you can't.

And given the inability of you and others to even hear those words, I'd say he's been quite successful.
                            You make the mistake of thinking we are gullible rubes that don't know a thing or two about our homeland. I'm predominantly German and English (and ironically enough, just found out I'm TWICE as Native American as Elizabeth Warren ), and I've studied how Hitler came to power for a college project. NOTHING Trump has done is in any way similar to how Hitler strong-armed Jewish and opposing printers to print only what the Ministry of Propaganda allowed by law.

Jim
                            You've spoken out of your rear end with zero evidence, Jim. Your observation is based on ignorance and hatred of President Trump. Nothing more.
                            That's what
                            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                            - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Yes. And I also understand that people who are so angered at my words they can't see straight...
                              Can you name a few?
                              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                                Can you name a few?
                                For the sarcastically impaired the following is said in jest

Everyone who doesn't agree with his comparisons of Trump to virtually every murderous dictator in the history of mankind, obviously.

Comment