Thread: Why are atheists still hated so much in America?

Faith
    Secular Humanist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Why are atheists still hated so much in America?

Stumbled across this article the other day. I'm to the point where I'm not advertising that I'm an atheist but not hiding it, either. I feel like people need to see me as a human being first and foremost. I think that New Atheism has really given secular people a seriously bad name.
    "Concentrate on what you have to do. Fix your eyes on it. Remind yourself that your task is to be a good human being; remind yourself what nature demands of people. Then do it, without hesitation, and speak the truth as you see it. But with kindness. With humility. Without hypocrisy."
    -Marcus Aurelius

"Sit by the firelight's glow / Tell us an old tale we know / Tell of adventures strange and rare / Never to change / Ever to share / Stories we tell will cast their spell / Now and for always"

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Do you genuinely feel that "hated" is the right word for what you see?
    Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Faith
    Secular Humanist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaFille View Post
    Do you genuinely feel that "hated" is the right word for what you see?
    Yes. I've read too many stories of people coming out to their families with disastrous consequences. There's also the general suspicion amongst believers that atheists are immoral people. How is it not hatred? When Christians have to be careful with their words about themselves in Muslim and Communist countries, is that not also because of hatred?
    "Concentrate on what you have to do. Fix your eyes on it. Remind yourself that your task is to be a good human being; remind yourself what nature demands of people. Then do it, without hesitation, and speak the truth as you see it. But with kindness. With humility. Without hypocrisy."
    -Marcus Aurelius

"Sit by the firelight's glow / Tell us an old tale we know / Tell of adventures strange and rare / Never to change / Ever to share / Stories we tell will cast their spell / Now and for always"

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Shirt Ninja View Post
    Yes. I've read too many stories of people coming out to their families with disastrous consequences. There's also the general suspicion amongst believers that atheists are immoral people. How is it not hatred? When Christians have to be careful with their words about themselves in Muslim and Communist countries, is that not also because of hatred?
    My experiences are different. I became secular/atheistic sometime in highschool, and my Christian parents, if they knew, they didn't give any indication they cared. Neither did anyone else... because I didn't talk about it, I didn't make an issue of it, I didn't challenge or argue with believers that I knew.

Now, when I converted to Christianity, my (largely atheist) friends *did* have a problem with it. Many of them seemed to think that my opinions on everything else had completely changed, and that I was somehow less intelligent- that was a big observation. As it is, my opinions on many things did change, in large part because I saw some of the hypocrisy in my "fellow atheists" that I would have overlooked before. I'm not saying I think Christians are oppressed in this country. From a purely pragmatic, social perspective, there were also benefits from converting. But when you ask what I think of "atheists" these days? I don't picture people like I used to be, who don't talk about religion and genuinely don't have a problem with people who do believe. I picture the ones who picked fights with me just because they knew my beliefs, who insulted my morality and intelligence and resorted to emotional bullying and manipulation.

So... sorry if I'm a bit skeptical of studies like these and claims like this, and not more sympathetic. The loudest atheists are their own worst enemies.

5. Amen Jedidiah amen'd this post.
    Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Moderator Notice

Folks, please note that this is the Naturalism forum and Christians are not allowed to post in here. Thanks.

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
    Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Psychotherapy Room unless told otherwise.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

7. Amen KingsGambit amen'd this post.
    Theologyweb's Official Grandfather Jedidiah's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Ooops
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Faith
    invalid value
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I happen to think that the theory of atheism is wrong in this way: collectively, we are God and we wrote the book/s on God at a time of comparative ignorance. Religious people are in denial and cover their error by making the God invisible. The modern religious person mostly knows himself and the world and plays a role concerning God for social and cultural reasons. The atheist simply rejects the deception.
    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.” ― Anne Lamott
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell