Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why are atheists still hated so much in America?

tWebber
    Faith
    Unspecified
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Shirt Ninja View Post
    Stumbled across this article the other day. I'm to the point where I'm not advertising that I'm an atheist but not hiding it, either. I feel like people need to see me as a human being first and foremost. I think that New Atheism has really given secular people a seriously bad name.
    New Atheism is a disaster - as is ontological reductionism and similar views. Why are they so bad? For exactly the reason John Locke was so hard on atheism - what exactly is the moral compass in a world of billiard balls?

tWebber
    Faith
    Unspecified
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zara View Post
    New Atheism is a disaster - as is ontological reductionism and similar views. Why are they so bad? For exactly the reason John Locke was so hard on atheism - what exactly is the moral compass in a world of billiard balls?
    Ethics and moral are possible without God.

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zara View Post
    Ultimately, we each derive our own moral compass. We always have.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
    Ethics and moral are possible without God.
    No, they aren't ...
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

tWebber
    Faith
    Unspecified
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    No, they aren't ...
    Are you being ironic?

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
    Are you being ironic?
    No...I was being stupid.

I read "are" as "aren't." I actually agree with the poster: morality does not require a god.

tWebber
    Faith
    Unspecified
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    No...I was being stupid.

I read "are" as "aren't." I actually agree with the poster: morality does not require a god.
    OK then, hahaha.