Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

How Many iPhones sold? Apple will no longer say...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Many iPhones sold? Apple will no longer say...

Facing iPhone Troubles, Apple Tries to Change the Story

When Steve Jobs took a swipe at Amazon.com Inc.’s Kindle in 2009, he pointed to the online retailer’s decision not to report unit sales of its reading device as evidence it wasn’t selling many.

Nearly a decade later, Apple is following a similar path. The company said it would stop disclosing data on the number iPhones, iPads and Macs it sells, eliminating a performance metric it has provided since the 1980s.

The change comes as growth in the number of iPhones sold slows, with customers increasingly holding on to smartphones longer. Apple has responded by promoting software and services across its devices and raising prices on new gadgets.

Investors balked at the reporting change, and at revenue projections that fell short of Wall Street estimates. On Friday, the elimination of unit-sales data contributed to shares falling 6.6% as the company shed $71.19 billion in market value in a single day.

Apple’s “privacy commitment now extends to iPhone unit disclosure,” Amit Daryanani of RBC Capital Markets wrote in a note to investors. In an interview, he said the change means many shareholders now believe Apple is hiding something. “It’s a monkey on their back,” he said.

Not bragging about how may iPhones or devices you sell can only mean one thing.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

That’s because the smartphone market has become saturated and Apple is trying to hide this from investors.
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
      That’s because the smartphone market has become saturated and Apple is trying to hide this from investors.
      Unfortunately, they just fired a flare gun yelling "hey, lookie here!"
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Unfortunately, they just fired a flare gun yelling "hey, lookie here!"
        Pretty much. A new iPhone XS is 1,149.99. It’s 50 a month for the privilege of owning the latest and greatest. Think I’ll stick with last years and more are doing the same.
        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Yeah in a world where electronics gets cheaper, phones have gotten more expensive.

Comment