Announcement

Collapse

LDS - Mormonism Guidelines

Theists only.

Look! It's a bird, no it's a plane, no it's a bicycle built for two!

This forum is a debate area to discuss issues pertaining to the LDS - Mormons. This forum is generally for theists only, and is generaly not the area for debate between atheists and theists. Non-theists may not post here without first obtaining permission from the moderator of this forum. Granting of such permission is subject to Moderator discretion - and may be revoked if the Moderator feels that the poster is not keeping with the spirit of the World Religions Department.

Due to the sensitive nature of the LDS Temple Ceremonies to our LDS posters, we do not allow posting exact text of the temple rituals, articles describing older versions of the ceremony, or links that provide the same information. However discussion of generalities of the ceremony are not off limits. If in doubt, PM the area mod or an Admin

Non-theists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

What SPECIFIC creeds were an abomination in God's sight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by foudroyant View Post
    What lexicon(s)?
    Any lexicon. Leave out the Trinitarian commentary. Just look at the definitions and how those words are used elsewhere during that time period. Charakter is used to denote physical appearance, shape, or a carved out stamp or impression etc. Substance has to do with the characteristics, qualities, and nature of something.

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    No, they are not the same PERSON, but they have the same SUBSTANCE (being)
    The verse does not say that they are the "same substance" (it does not say "autos"). It says that Jesus is the image/imprint/copy of the Father's substance. Those statements do not mean the same thing.

The LDS view fits far better. Jesus Christ is an exact duplicate of God the Father. While they are two different people, they have exactly the same characteristics, the same nature, etc. That is why Jesus says, "If you have seen me, you have seen the Father." He does not say that because He an God the Father are the same person (as Modalists would interpret it), Jesus says it because if you see what kind of being Jesus is, (not just character, but everything about Jesus Christ), then you are seeing what kind of being God the Father is as well.

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    The Trinity never claims that Jesus is the Father, or the Holy Spirit. But all three persons are GOD. ONE God. Not three.
    I know what the of the Trinity says. It attempts to make agreement with contradictory concepts. The Trinity does not say the same thing as Hebrews 1:3. A stamped out duplicate is not the same entity as the original.

Christ was begotten from God the Father. Like Father like Son. All living beings reproduce after their own kind.

We can say that God is "ONE" all day long. That isn't the issue. The question is, in what sense is Jesus Christ "one" with God the Father. Jesus Christ gave the best example in John chapter 17, but there are many others. The LDS view of "oneness" is much more consistent with the Biblical usage of "oneness".

-7up

Comment

Perhaps this will help
      Trinity.jpg

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by seven7up View Post
        Any lexicon. Leave out the Trinitarian commentary.
        Cite your source then that leaves out the commentary from the definition.

Truth is, you don't have any. It's simply your opinion.

Comment

He doesn't understand how something could be a physical representation of an attribute, which is what Jewish Wisdom Theology states. And once again, the book is to the HEBREWS, so they would be the perfect ones to make that claim to, as showing them why Jesus was their Messiah, priest, God, and King.
          That's what
          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
          - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

What lexicon(s)?

From the NIDNTT: Christ is the charakteer tees hypostasews autou, "the very stamp of his [God's] nature" (Heb. 1:3 RSV), i.e. the One on whom God has stamped or imprinted his being. ....

The stamped imprint of the Father's being, is ... ANOTHER BEING. They are not the same being.

-7up

Comment

If you just go online to a lexicon, you will see the way that the word was used in the original language and what it means. Like here:

http://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/...gs=G5481&t=KJV

That is what I provided in my previous posts.

Obviously if you have a Trinitarian adding a commentary in a lexicon from a Trinitarian point of view (what you posted earlier) then they are going to try and twist it the interpretation that way.

-7up

Comment

The stamped imprint of the Father's being, is ... ANOTHER BEING. They are not the same being.

-7up
                Another being? It doesn't read that from the NIDNTT.
                Thanks for making that up though.

Comment

If you just go online to a lexicon, you will see the way that the word was used in the original language and what it means. Like here:

http://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/...gs=G5481&t=KJV

That is what I provided in my previous posts.

Obviously if you have a Trinitarian adding a commentary in a lexicon from a Trinitarian point of view (what you posted earlier) then they are going to try and twist it the interpretation that way.

-7up
                  From the same site you told me to go to Vine is listed. This is what he wrote:
                  In the NT it is used metaphorically in Hbr 1:3, of the Son of God as "the very image (marg., 'the impress') of His substance." RV. The phrase expresses the fact that the Son "is both personally distinct from, and yet literally equal to, Him of whose essence He is the adequate imprint" (Liddon).

In Post #11 you wrote, "Just because Jesus Christ is a reproduction of the Father's nature, does not mean that they are literally the same being or literally the same substance."
                  Thus you deny they are the same substance but then you cite a link with Vine telling us Christ is the same substance.
                  Vine: the Son "is both personally distinct from, and yet LITERALLY EQUAL to, Him of whose essence He is the adequate imprint" (emphasis mine).
                  Last edited by foudroyant; 07-08-2014, 12:45 AM.

Comment

From the same site you told me to go to Vine is listed. This is what he wrote:
                    In the NT it is used metaphorically in Hbr 1:3, of the Son of God as "the very image (marg., 'the impress') of His substance." RV. The phrase expresses the fact that the Son "is both personally distinct from, and yet literally equal to, Him of whose essence He is the adequate imprint" (Liddon).

In Post #11 you wrote, "Just because Jesus Christ is a reproduction of the Father's nature, does not mean that they are literally the same being or literally the same substance."
                    Thus you deny they are the same substance but then you cite a link with Vine telling us Christ is the same substance.
                    Vine: the Son "is both personally distinct from, and yet LITERALLY EQUAL to, Him of whose essence He is the adequate imprint" (emphasis mine).
                    It appears that you cannot tell the difference between commentary made by Trinitiarians, and the actual definitions provided by the lexicons which simply provide the meaning of the word.

-7up

Comment

You are not looking at all the evidence.
                      You put in a link and what you supplied refutes your own heresy.

Comment

I am defining the terms properly. Hebrews 1 calls Jesus a "charakter" of the Father's "hypostasis".

"a. Concerning "exact representation" (charakter)"

So, as previously explained, this is a term defined by the imagery of a stamped out copy, a duplicate, or a reproduction of the original.

"b. Concerning "nature" (hypostasis)"

Sometimes translated as "person" or "substance". Just because Jesus Christ is a reproduction of the Father's nature, does not mean that they are literally the same being or literally the same substance.

To make this more clear, Hebrews 1 does NOT say "Jesus Christ, who is the same substance as the Father". NO! Instead it says that Jesus is a copy, duplicate, reproduction, of the Father.

That is why LDS theology fits that passage of scripture so well, because Mormons literally believe it to be true.

-7up
                        Hebrews 1 refers to Jesus as he was when he walked as a man. It doesn't address the matter of what Jesus is now. It is self evident then, or should be, that Jesus was at the time referred to in the text, not of the same substance as the Father.
                        1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                        Scripture before Tradition:
                        but that won't prevent others from
                        taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                        of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Hebrews 1 refers the Lord Jesus as He always was and is...the same substance as the Father.

Comment

Hebrews 1 refers the Lord Jesus as He always was and is...the same substance as the Father.
                            Would someone be able to provide a scriptural reference that shows Jesus of Nazareth (the Father's son by whom the Father spoke to "us" and purged our sins), always was flesh, and that he did not become flesh? I'm having a bit of difficulty trying to locate the reference. Or, if such a reference proves unavailable ... if that same Jesus was always the same substance as the Father, a reference that shows the Father to be flesh would suffice.
                            1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                            Scripture before Tradition:
                            but that won't prevent others from
                            taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                            of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X