Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Election: What Is Your Take...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    you are correct. It is undemocratic.
    BECAUSE WE ARE A FEDERAL REPUBLIC!
    Explain the difference.
    But it doesn't allow the minority dominance over the majority, it allows equal representation to each state regardless of size. It prevents the exact opposite.
    The only reason we have a conservative SC is because a minority of the population has more representation in that regard than does the majority population. That has nothing to do with the interests of the states per se. Like I said, the democrat Senators who opposed Kavanaughs confirmation represented 42 million more people than did the republican Senators who confirmed him.

And the reason they instituted the House was to balance the representation of the people with the representation of the states.
    Well, since the House has nothing to do with SC Justice confirmations, then that would be a moot point, don't you think?

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
      Explain the difference.
      A true democracy is everyone has a say, all votes count. So you end up with a tyranny of the majority. We have a federal republic where each state has representatives in the government to allow equal voice to all of the states that make up the republic. The people of each state decide what they want, and their Senators and Representatives are supposed to convey those wishes in congress. And the idea behind it is that the people we elect are informed and not just blindly doing what they are told. Under a true democracy you have mob rule and pretty much IGNORANT UNINFORMED mob rule.

The only reason we have a conservative SC is because a minority of the population has more representation in that regard than does the majority population. That has nothing to do with the interests of the states per se. Like I said, the democrat Senators who opposed Kavanaughs confirmation represented 42 million more people than did the republican Senators who confirmed him.

Well, since the House has nothing to do with SC Justice confirmations, then that would be a moot point, don't you think?
      If we had a true democracy, you atheists would have been deported long ago, or strung up from a tree. Are you sure you want a true democracy?
      Last edited by Sparko; 11-15-2018, 12:09 PM.

Comment

If we had a true democracy, you atheists would have been deported long ago, or strung up from a tree. Are you sure you want a true democracy?
        I have to think about that one... Maybe we could go back to Blasphemy laws...
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

A true democracy is everyone has a say, all votes count. So you end up with a tyranny of the majority. We have a federal republic where each state has representatives in the government to allow equal voice to all of the states that make up the republic. The people of each state decide what they want, and their Senators and Representatives are supposed to convey those wishes in congress. And the idea behind it is that the people we elect are informed and not just blindly doing what they are told. Under a true democracy you have mob rule and pretty much IGNORANT UNINFORMED mob rule
          So, in you federal republic, you have the tyranny of the majority within the states rather than within the country.

Yes, we know all about the evil history of christians.

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
            I have to think about that one... Maybe we could go back to Blasphemy laws...
            Theocracy is comming to the USA.
            "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charles View Post
              Theocracy is comming to the USA.
              Said no one with even the slightest grip on reality, ever. The forces who want this to happen have been on the losing end of virtually all cultural battles for the last half-century.

The only way this is ever at all likely to happen is if the USA becomes majority Muslim.
              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

So, in you federal republic, you have the tyranny of the majority within the states rather than within the country.
                no. You have equal representation among the states regardless of population in the Senate. And you have representation based on population in the House. It is a balance.

So in the EU, Do you think Germany should make all the rules since it has the most people and tell all the other countries what to do? And that China should run the United Nations?

So? Do you want a majority rule or not? We outnumber you atheists by 90%+
                No more abortions, no more atheists, no more gay weddings....

Comment

Says the anti-Christian bigot who is here for no other reason than to be a jackass.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                    Said no one with even the slightest grip on reality, ever. The forces who want this to happen have been on the losing end of virtually all cultural battles for the last half-century.

The only way this is ever at all likely to happen is if the USA becomes majority Muslim.
                    No. The country has been majority Christian for a long, long time, and our country has survived it on the strength of our constitution. I have no reason to believe it would make one whit of difference if the country was majority Muslim. I would have to think "Islam bad" to think this. I see no reason to think Islam is any better/worse than Christianity.
                    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                      No. The country has been majority Christian for a long, long time, and our country has survived it on the strength of our constitution. I have no reason to believe it would make one whit of difference if the country was majority Muslim. I would have to think "Islam bad" to think this. I see no reason to think Islam is any better/worse than Christianity.
                      well, I don't know of any recent Christian Theocracies, but almost everywhere Islam becomes the majority, the country becomes a Muslim Theocracy governed by Sharia law.

Comment

You obviously haven't studied the teachings of the Quran and Hadith then.

Comment

For starters, I didn't say it would necessarily happen. However, where there is a Muslim majority, there is a decided preference for sharia law, and Islam - unlike Christianity - is decidedly theocratic. I don't have to think "Islam bad" to think this; I only need to look at historical and current Muslim-majority nations.
                          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                          sigpic
                          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

well, I don't know of any recent Christian Theocracies, but almost everywhere Islam becomes the majority, the country becomes a Muslim Theocracy governed by Sharia law.
                            And none of them have the U.S. constitution or safeguards.

Christians have been insisting this is a "Christian country" for decades - maybe centuries - but our protections remain in place. They will survive a Muslim majority as well.
                            The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                              You obviously haven't studied the teachings of the Quran and Hadith then.
                              Actually - I have. But check your local U.S. Muslims and ask them what they think. You might be surprised.

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                                For starters, I didn't say it would necessarily happen. However, where there is a Muslim majority, there is a decided preference for sharia law, and Islam - unlike Christianity - is decidedly theocratic. I don't have to think "Islam bad" to think this; I only need to look at historical and current Muslim-majority nations.
                                Outside of context - of course. The countries you are talking about weren't "taken over" by Muslims - Muslims have pretty much always been a majority force - and the countries have had a strong lean towards theocracy. The notion that this would befall a country that has long valued religious liberty is borderline ludicrous. As I said - if we have survived decades (centuries?) of Christians wanting to make this a "Christian nation," we would survive Islam as well.

Actually - we haven't completely "survived" the Christian phenomenon unscathed. After all - I still have to carry money around that says "in god we trust," I am confronted with "under god' every time I say the pledge of allegiance, I have to listen to someone pray when Congress goes into session, and the list goes on. So theists HAVE had some impact on making this a religious country - despite claims to "religious freedom."

Comment