Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Election: What Is Your Take...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Soul Anchor View Post
    I haven't read them. Can you quote the excerpts?
    Unfortunately no. I read the thing (years ago) and then my wife and I had a burning ceremony and torched it in protest of its messages. Essentially, the core message of the books it "winning is everything." The book provides no moral compass, and sets no boundaries on behavior to get to "the win."

This is the context in which lying is defended as an appropriate strategy. Trump exposed that in his exchange with Trudeau earlier this year, when he bragged about making claims to Trudeau when he had no idea if what he was saying was true. And Ivanka's last book takes a similar position when she encourages people not to correct an incorrect assumption made by another person if it serves their interests.

We do not have moral leadership. We have "the ends justifies the means" leadership. That this is not being called out by most evangelicals is very concerning to me.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
      You are an excellent barometer for how the left feels, Jim. This tells me that people on the left feel much better about last Tuesday's results now than they did Wednesday morning.
      That's probably because the wave keeps coming. Democrats could end up with 39 or 40 pick ups in the House by the time the elections are finalized and although the Republicans picked up a few Senate seats, they should have done even better, but didn't. Even the Senate seats they won they barely eked out. Republicans are in denial right now, they lost 7 governorships, 360 state legislative seats, they got trounced, and they got trounced everywhere, regardless of the huge structural advantage they had going in. Yes, we liberals are ecstatic about that, but Trump and his band of currupt republicans has done a lot of damage to the country and to democracy here and around the world in a very little time, and we now have to turn that trend around both for ourselves here at home and as a signal to the rest of the free world. Yes, I think it is that big!

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
        Unfortunately no. I read the thing (years ago) and then my wife and I had a burning ceremony and torched it in protest of its messages. Essentially, the core message of the books it "winning is everything." The book provides no moral compass, and sets no boundaries on behavior to get to "the win."
        You're a BOOK BURNER?

f-451.jpg
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
          That's probably because the wave keeps coming. Democrats could end up with 39 or 40 pick ups in the House by the time the elections are finalized and although the Republicans picked up a few Senate seats, they should have done even better, but didn't. Even the Senate seats they won they barely eked out. Republicans are in denial right now, they lost 7 governorships, 360 state legislative seats, they got trounced, and they got trounced everywhere, regardless of the huge structural advantage they had going in. Yes, we liberals are ecstatic about that, but Trump and his band of currupt republicans has done a lot of damage to the country and to democracy here and around the world in a very little time, and we now have to turn that trend around both for ourselves here at home and as a signal to the rest of the free world. Yes, I think it is that big!
          You are absolutely right, Jim! Don't back down even a tad.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            You're a BOOK BURNER?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32954[/ATTACH]
            When a book is trash - I don't waste time or shelf/disk space. And I don't bother passing it on. If someone truly wants the trash, they can buy their own. I have no desire to be the agent for passing along a message I find reprehensible.
            The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

When a book is trash - I don't waste time or shelf/disk space. And I don't bother passing it on. If someone truly wants the trash, they can buy their own. I have no desire to be the agent for passing along a message I find reprehensible.
              So you allow somebody to sucker you into adding to global warming.

Comment

So you allow somebody to sucker you into adding to global warming.
                That decision was made long before I burned the book, CP. The only difference is speed. The moment the tree was cut and the book manufactured, the CO2 comprising its pages was destined to be released to the atmosphere. It could be done slowly in a landfill, even more slowly sitting on my shelf, or more rapidly by being burned. And there is a simple way to offset that carbon load: plant another tree!

Comment

That decision was made long before I burned the book, CP. The only difference is speed. The moment the tree was cut and the book manufactured, the CO2 comprising its pages was destined to be released to the atmosphere. It could be done slowly in a landfill, even more slowly sitting on my shelf, or more rapidly by being burned. And there is a simple way to offset that carbon load: plant another tree!
                  I'm kidding, Carpe - it's a slow Tweb day, and it's cold and rainy in Texas on my day off. How bout starting a fight?

Comment

I'm kidding, Carpe - it's a slow Tweb day, and it's cold and rainy in Texas on my day off. How bout starting a fight?
                    You were NOT kidding!

Comment

You were NOT kidding!
                      Aw, come on, I said a "fight", not a quibble.

Comment

Aw, come on, I said a "fight", not a quibble.
                        It was NOT a quibble...turd boy.

Comment

It was NOT a quibble...turd boy.
                          Ok, that was my top left cheek, now, (turning the other cheek) kiss my bottom right cheek.

Comment

Ok, that was my top left cheek, now, (turning the other cheek) kiss my bottom right cheek.

OK - that made me laugh too hard to make a proper response...

Comment

OK - that made me laugh too hard to make a proper response...
                              IS there a proper response to that?

(And, I'll have you know that was an original reply to you - not something I have every used on anybody else -- you're special!)

Comment

IS there a proper response to that?

(And, I'll have you know that was an original reply to you - not something I have every used on anybody else -- you're special!)
                                Bend over?

Comment