Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Election: What Is Your Take...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
    I can tolerate pizza with thin floppy crusts. But pizza with thick crusts are definitely superior.
    I take it that you guys aren't Italian. Again, if the pizza is done right there is little or no FLOP!
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
      I can tolerate pizza with thin floppy crusts. But pizza with thick crusts are definitely superior.
      I like the hand-tossed crusts. I don't really care for the deep-dish chicago pizza either. Medium for the win.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
        I take it that you guys aren't Italian. Again, if the pizza is done right there is little or no FLOP!
        Ironic that Italian food is so associated with tomato sauces, since tomatoes come from the New World.

I prefer my pizzas Chicago-style (deep dish).
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I don't actually mind the floppiness too much. If it's too floppy I just fold the pizza in on itself and that takes care of the problem.

Comment

I ate italian pizza in Italy. It ain't New York style pizza. more like the hand-tossed thickness. But Pizza is really an American dish, the Italians just picked it up and ran with it.

Comment

Am from Chicago. Either like tavern style or NY style. Chicago style is a joke played on tourists.
              "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
              Hear my cry, hear my shout,
              Save me, save me"

Comment

Originally posted by guacamole View Post
                A Chicago style is a joke played on tourists.
                Thank you!
                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  Normally, or more accurately, historically-speaking -- without Trump in the mix -- the party out of power, especially after a close and tumultuous presidential election should be taking the House with a 4 to 6 seat majority and gain 1 maybe 2 in the Senate. With Trump in the mix...

So I guess it's
                  Not much else to do. Even less for me as I can't vote in your elections.

Comment

Democrats gain the House, pundits talk about it being a rejection of Trump even though in almost every single midterm in the last century the President's party lost seats in the House, Republicans maintain Senate, political gridlock for the next 2 years.

I'm still struggling to decide what I want to do in my state's Senate race. I know I won't vote for our incumbent, but I don't really like the challenger either. So I'm torn between voting for the challenger or just abstaining from that election altogether. I still haven't made up my mind. Of course, the incumbent looks like they'll probably win pretty handily, so this handwringing on my part is likely for naught.
                    Last edited by Terraceth; 11-05-2018, 07:35 PM.

Comment

Well I voted. It seemed pretty busy at my polling place with a line about 50 people long and it seemed to stay that long as people came and went, and this was at 6:15AM. I think my area is pretty conservative so I hope that is a good sign.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        Well I voted. It seemed pretty busy at my polling place with a line about 50 people long and it seemed to stay that long as people came and went, and this was at 6:15AM. I think my area is pretty conservative so I hope that is a good sign.
                        I voted too (6:30AM), the older poll workers who have been doing this for like decades don't remember seeing a turn out like this, even in Presidential years. Win or lose, it was good to see democracy in action!

Comment

There was a good-sized line when my polls opened at 7, and it wasn't going down any by the time I left. Almost voted straight Republican, but there was one Democrat only opposed by a Green Party candidate. My area's pretty liberal, though, so I'm not counting on many of my choices being winners. Hogan might manage a second term.
                          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                          sigpic
                          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                            There was a good-sized line when my polls opened at 7, and it wasn't going down any by the time I left. Almost voted straight Republican, but there was one Democrat only opposed by a Green Party candidate. My area's pretty liberal, though, so I'm not counting on many of my choices being winners. Hogan might manage a second term.
                            What do people in DC do to vote for other than local stuff? Do they have to register in Maryland or Virginia to vote for federal stuff like Senators, the House and President?

Comment

What do people in DC do to vote for other than local stuff? Do they have to register in Maryland or Virginia to vote for federal stuff like Senators, the House and President?
                              They vote for President, and they vote for a non-voting Representative in the House. They are not allowed to register elsewhere. The license plate reads "Taxation without Representation".

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                                They vote for President, and they vote for a non-voting Representative in the House. They are not allowed to register elsewhere. The license plate reads "Taxation without Representation".
                                how does their presidential vote count? Do they have electoral votes?

Comment