Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 30

Thread: Insensitive and Offensive humor

  1. #1
    Professor Zymologist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    someplace in Montana
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    6,048
    Amen (Given)
    1303
    Amen (Received)
    3602

    Insensitive and Offensive humor

    This thread was prompted by the discussion in the Don Lemon thread, mostly this post:

    Quote Originally Posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    Jokes about black people being freed from a plantation, Seer, are inappropriate. Slavery was not a joke. Jim Crow was not a joke. And the persistent vestiges of racism in our society are not a basis for humor. It's both unkind and amazingly insensitive.

    And yes - that is my opinion.

    It is also hard to continue to defend someone as "not racist" if they see this kind of humor as appropriate.
    I don't think I've mentioned this on here, but I'll mention it here because I think it's relevant to what I'm trying to say: I'm actually on the autism spectrum. I also struggle with depression to varying degrees (sometimes pretty severely). All that to say this: I find humor in virtually anything; call it a coping mechanism. I will readily acknowledge that this is a character flaw and I ought not make light of everything, regardless of my excuse for it. Additionally, I often have trouble seeing why something is offensive to certain people, and vice versa. Sometimes I'll bounce a possible joke (for facebook or whatever) off my wife because, although I find it inoffensive, I sometimes genuinely cannot tell if other people won't. She's prevented me from commenting numerous times this way.

    All that to say this: I don't find the "plantation" joke offensive. If this is inappropriate of me (and it may well be), it's an example of my sinful tendency to joke about everything, not a sign that I'm racist. And yet in today's political climate, I fully expect the former explanation to be laughed off and dismissed, without any benefit of the doubt being given. (sometimes the "you should know if something is offensive" will not be applicable to me. Sorry, can't help it) This makes me afraid to speak up at times, because a joke or a question that I have could so easily be construed by someone as horribly offensive, when clueless little me over here didn't intend that at all and frankly can't even understand it.
    Hofstadter's Law: It will always take longer than you expect, even if you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

  2. Amen seer, Cow Poke amen'd this post.
  3. #2
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    42,177
    Amen (Given)
    3966
    Amen (Received)
    19353
    I didn't find it offensive either. If someone had said they should get back on the plantation seriously, that would be racist. But the inference was clear, that the democrats treat blacks like they own them, and if any "escape" and become republican then they are treated as traitors and turncoats. It was a dig against the democratic party, not blacks.

    But in today's PC climate, just mentioning a banned word, like "plantation" makes it racist. Like when Papa John made the comment that Colonel Sanders used the N-word, he had to quit his job even though he didn't call any black people the n-word (note I cant even say the actual word because of the same reasons) - or when Megyn Kelly said something about blackface being acceptable in the past. That somehow translated into her being racist.

    People on the left are just way too touchy today.

  4. Amen LeaC amen'd this post.
  5. #3
    Professor and Chaplain Littlejoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    North Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,930
    Amen (Given)
    1535
    Amen (Received)
    1636
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    I didn't find it offensive either. If someone had said they should get back on the plantation seriously, that would be racist. But the inference was clear, that the democrats treat blacks like they own them, and if any "escape" and become republican then they are treated as traitors and turncoats. It was a dig against the democratic party, not blacks.

    But in today's PC climate, just mentioning a banned word, like "plantation" makes it racist. Like when Papa John made the comment that Colonel Sanders used the N-word, he had to quit his job even though he didn't call any black people the n-word (note I cant even say the actual word because of the same reasons) - or when Megyn Kelly said something about blackface being acceptable in the past. That somehow translated into her being racist.

    People on the left are just way too touchy today.
    For the sarcastically impaired the following is said in jest

    How DARE you call the left "touchy" you racist scum bucket pirate!!!

    Last edited by Littlejoe; 11-05-2018 at 01:32 PM.
    "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

    "... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

  6. #4
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    42,177
    Amen (Given)
    3966
    Amen (Received)
    19353
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlejoe View Post
    For the sarcastically impaired the following is said in jest

    How DARE you call the left "touchy" you racist scum bucket pirate!!!

    By definition pirates are scum buckets. So in addition to being redundant, you answered your own question.

  7. #5
    Theologyweb's Official Grandfather Jedidiah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Peter's Creek, Alaska
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    11,865
    Amen (Given)
    20033
    Amen (Received)
    6420
    Quote Originally Posted by Zymologist View Post
    . . . clip . . . All that to say this: I find humor in virtually anything; call it a coping mechanism. I will readily acknowledge that this is a character flaw and I ought not make light of everything, regardless of my excuse for it.
    This is not really a character flaw unless we all have the same flaw. Finding humor in painful or offensive matters is a quite common way for cops, ER people and many others. I did not read the thread, but it appears that Carp has jumped into another foolish extreme. In other words it ain't you, Zy.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

  8. Amen Cerebrum123, LeaC, Cow Poke amen'd this post.
  9. #6
    Professor Zymologist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    someplace in Montana
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    6,048
    Amen (Given)
    1303
    Amen (Received)
    3602
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedidiah View Post
    This is not really a character flaw unless we all have the same flaw. Finding humor in painful or offensive matters is a quite common way for cops, ER people and many others. I did not read the thread, but it appears that Carp has jumped into another foolish extreme. In other words it ain't you, Zy.
    Oh, there are plenty of other examples. Just take my word for it--I can and will find humor in a variety of subjects that I expect would be considered...inappropriate.
    Hofstadter's Law: It will always take longer than you expect, even if you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

  10. #7
    tWebber seer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    New England
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    21,583
    Amen (Given)
    1238
    Amen (Received)
    4340
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedidiah View Post
    This is not really a character flaw unless we all have the same flaw. Finding humor in painful or offensive matters is a quite common way for cops, ER people and many others. I did not read the thread, but it appears that Carp has jumped into another foolish extreme. In other words it ain't you, Zy.
    When we got back to the firehouse after my first really bad car accident they guys stated to talk about ordering a large pizza with lots of extra sausage. I didn't get it as first, there were no restaurants open at that hour.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

  11. Amen Jedidiah amen'd this post.
  12. #8
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    SoCal!!!
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,138
    Amen (Given)
    218
    Amen (Received)
    431
    Quote Originally Posted by seer View Post
    When we got back to the firehouse after my first really bad car accident they guys stated to talk about ordering a large pizza with lots of extra sausage. I didn't get it as first, there were no restaurants open at that hour.
    ewwwww

  13. #9
    What's that? lilpixieofterror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    7,943
    Amen (Given)
    1451
    Amen (Received)
    2797
    Quote Originally Posted by Zymologist View Post
    This thread was prompted by the discussion in the Don Lemon thread, mostly this post:



    I don't think I've mentioned this on here, but I'll mention it here because I think it's relevant to what I'm trying to say: I'm actually on the autism spectrum. I also struggle with depression to varying degrees (sometimes pretty severely). All that to say this: I find humor in virtually anything; call it a coping mechanism. I will readily acknowledge that this is a character flaw and I ought not make light of everything, regardless of my excuse for it. Additionally, I often have trouble seeing why something is offensive to certain people, and vice versa. Sometimes I'll bounce a possible joke (for facebook or whatever) off my wife because, although I find it inoffensive, I sometimes genuinely cannot tell if other people won't. She's prevented me from commenting numerous times this way.

    All that to say this: I don't find the "plantation" joke offensive. If this is inappropriate of me (and it may well be), it's an example of my sinful tendency to joke about everything, not a sign that I'm racist. And yet in today's political climate, I fully expect the former explanation to be laughed off and dismissed, without any benefit of the doubt being given. (sometimes the "you should know if something is offensive" will not be applicable to me. Sorry, can't help it) This makes me afraid to speak up at times, because a joke or a question that I have could so easily be construed by someone as horribly offensive, when clueless little me over here didn't intend that at all and frankly can't even understand it.
    If he thinks that’s bad he needs to spend an hour in the back of a bread van on the flight line.
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

  14. #10
    What's that? lilpixieofterror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    7,943
    Amen (Given)
    1451
    Amen (Received)
    2797
    Quote Originally Posted by seer View Post
    When we got back to the firehouse after my first really bad car accident they guys stated to talk about ordering a large pizza with lots of extra sausage. I didn't get it as first, there were no restaurants open at that hour.
    Sounds like something firemen would say.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •