Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Acosta's white house pass removed ..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Starlight View Post
    Amusing cartoon of the Acosta incident:

I realize there is no point in noting this fact which should be self-evident, but I will do so anyway:

Trump's dealing with Acost-her was not in the slightest way an attack on the First Amendment. There is no First Amendment requirement that POTUS hold press conferences. There is no requirement that POTUS allow reporters White House access. There is no requirement that POTUS answer questions from the press in any way. When POTUS makes the voluntary choice to answer questions, there is no requirement that he call on each reporter (or, in the case of some like Acost-her, pseudo-reporter opinionators) present. There is no requirement that POTUS answer every question from those persons he does choose. There is no requirement that POTUS respond at all to "challenges," let alone do so politely.

The First Amendment protects the right to ask questions in a general sense. It does not require POTUS or anyone to answer those questions, or to provide particular venues for asking those questions. It protects the right to publish any answers received, as well as opinions about those answers, and even advocacy based on those opinions. (Ideally, the media would distinguish among reportage, opinion, and advocacy. Clear-eyed people realize that Fox, e.g., does so; they admit most of their shows are largely opinion and analysis, with the actual "journalism" coming from people like Bret Baier, Chris Wallace, Catherine Herridge, and Shannon Bream.)
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

• Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
      Oh brother!
      Kind of like the usher in a theater being the "aggressor" by removing an obnoxious disruptive customer.
      Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

• What some here are ignoring is that it is her job to facilitate the movement of the mic from questioner to questioner. She is supposed to reach out for it, the reporter is supposed to hand it to her, and then she hands it to the next designated reporter. That is her job and how it works. It only broke down when the fame whore from CNN pushed her hand away because he had decided it was his mic.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          It only broke down when the fame whore from CNN pushed her hand away because he had decided it was his mic.
          No, it only broke down when the "fame whore" in the WH refused to answer a legitimate question, which Acosta was trying to pursue.
          “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassmoron View Post
            Many high-profile media members, including The NY Times’ Maggie Haberman and CNN executive Matt Dornic, have accused Sanders of using a doctored Infowars video speeding up Acosta’s arm motion, as evidence. I'm more inclined to believe them than the Trump WH with its history of lying and gas-lighting. Especially as Infowars editor Paul Joseph Watson is known for spreading conspiracy theories and is banned from most social media platforms,
            I'm not talking about a supposedly "doctored" video. From an earlier post...

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            Did you watch the video? You can't deny what he did. It was captured on camera for everyone to see. No need to guess or rely on third-hand reports. You only have to trust your own eyes. For your convenience:

Go to the 1 minute 29 second mark.

Tell me, if that was your wife or daughter being treated in that manner, would you really be so ho-hum about it?
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Dimbulb View Post
              Amusing cartoon of the Acosta incident:

"Amusing" only in the sense that it's a gross misrepresentation of what really happened.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                No, it only broke down when the "fame whore" in the WH refused to answer a legitimate question, which Acosta was trying to pursue.
                Acosta wasn't asking a question legitimate or otherwise. He was leveling a series of accusations in question form. And it is not up to the reporter to decide when he is done. It is, and has always been, up to the president.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                  I realize there is no point in noting this fact which should be self-evident, but I will do so anyway:

Trump's dealing with Acost-her was not in the slightest way an attack on the First Amendment. There is no First Amendment requirement that POTUS hold press conferences. There is no requirement that POTUS allow reporters White House access. There is no requirement that POTUS answer questions from the press in any way. When POTUS makes the voluntary choice to answer questions, there is no requirement that he call on each reporter (or, in the case of some like Acost-her, pseudo-reporter opinionators) present. There is no requirement that POTUS answer every question from those persons he does choose. There is no requirement that POTUS respond at all to "challenges," let alone do so politely.
                  You're just confusing someone who gets all his information from like-minded nut cases with facts. It's amusing to ask those who think that cartoon had a point exactly how was Trump attacking the First Amendment and then sit back and watch them expose how ignorant they are as they substitute righteous indignation and arrogance for informed knowledge.

Comment

• 00000000000000ar1aa1b.jpg

Comment

Acosta wasn't asking a question legitimate or otherwise. He was leveling a series of accusations in question form. And it is not up to the reporter to decide when he is done. It is, and has always been, up to the president.
                      It’s the role of the press to ask hard questions and level accusations if warranted. Trump is now considering new maneuvers to curtail any press that keeps peskily pointing out his lies, half-truths and hyperbole. He’s now moving beyond his scurrilous Lügenpresse (fake news) accusations to discredit critical media and is now actively attempting to ban reputable reporters altogether if they ask questions he construes to be critical. It is up to Trump to defend his actions but in fact he demands to be accountable to no one.
                      “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                        Kind of like the usher in a theater being the "aggressor" by removing an obnoxious disruptive customer.
                        That response was to these two ideas.

1) that Acosta's blocking arm movement constituted 'assault.
                        2) that defining such minor physical contact as assault derives from the right to defend ones personal space

In that context she is the agressor and his arm motion is purely defensive

The proper action would not to have tried to forcefully take the mike but to tell him to reinquish the mike and if he continued to refuse to bring security in who would have the necessary authority to use force to get the mike.

The whole thing has been made absurd beginning with Sandrers attempt to cast this as some sort of improper physical action on Acosta's part. Had they simply said Acosta was rude and disruptive they would have been telling the truth. But apparently they didn't feel 'rude and aggressive' was a good enough reason, so the invented a reason and then tried to sway public opinion in their favor with an altered video of the event.

Jim
                        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
                          Well, regardless of what we "think", people do not have the right to invade your space, especially to poke, grab, push or swat at you...it's called "Touch Assault" and IS indeed a crime. It's not enforced usually because it's a "he said, she said" type situation. But, with this video proof it would be enough to prosecute if someone wanted to.
                          But who are you going to prosecute? Who invaded who's space here?
                          Last edited by Roy; 11-12-2018, 05:14 AM.
                          Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                          MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32939[/ATTACH]
                            In many respects, Walter Cronkite wasn't much better.

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                              That response was to these two ideas.

1) that Acosta's blocking arm movement constituted 'assault.
                              2) that defining such minor physical contact as assault derives from the right to defend ones personal space

In that context she is the agressor and his arm motion is purely defensive

The proper action would not to have tried to forcefully take the mike but to tell him to reinquish the mike and if he continued to refuse to bring security in who would have the necessary authority to use force to get the mike.

The whole thing has been made absurd beginning with Sandrers attempt to cast this as some sort of improper physical action on Acosta's part. Had they simply said Acosta was rude and disruptive they would have been telling the truth. But apparently they didn't feel 'rude and aggressive' was a good enough reason, so the invented a reason and then tried to sway public opinion in their favor with an altered video of the event.

Jim
                              No, the intern's job is to move the microphone, she was hunkered down and not rudely trying to "back him down" or get in his face, there was no aggression on her part. She was just trying to get the microphone from him per Trump's moving on to another reporter. That happens done many, MANY times in a press conference. This was not an isolated incident, it was BAU (business as usual). Accosta, by swatting her hand away from the mic committed the touch assault. She was just trying to do her job.

And in the Lewandowski case, the grabber of the arm was also in the wrong.
                              "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
                                But who are you going to prosecute? Who invaded who's space here?
                                see my response to Oxmixmudd.
                                "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment