Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Acosta's white house pass removed ..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    I suppose it wouldn't be so bad if carpe wasn't constantly holding himself up as a paragon of virtue.
    When one's only standard is oneself, it's a pretty easy view to take.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Guys, I really don't think Carpe is "holding himself up as a paragon of virtue" in the sense that he's some kind of super hypocrite. I think he really does try to be civil, and, on occasion, fails.

Compared to just about any other non-Christian poster, he's actually kind of refreshing - Starlight, JimL, Tassy and Shunya could learn a lot from him.

I admit it's really hard, sometimes, to get simple straight answers, but it's not like he's here to attack Christians and be a royal pain in the butt.

We're here to discuss things, and that means, at least in my case, to be challenged, and he has actually made me think about a thing or two.

I think maybe he's getting wrongly "packed in" with the "usual suspects", and I try to keep that in mind when battling with the little turd.

Just sayin'.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Guys, I really don't think Carpe is "holding himself up as a paragon of virtue" in the sense that he's some kind of super hypocrite. I think he really does try to be civil, and, on occasion, fails.

Compared to just about any other non-Christian poster, he's actually kind of refreshing - Starlight, JimL, Tassy and Shunya could learn a lot from him.

I admit it's really hard, sometimes, to get simple straight answers, but it's not like he's here to attack Christians and be a royal pain in the butt.

We're here to discuss things, and that means, at least in my case, to be challenged, and he has actually made me think about a thing or two.

I think maybe he's getting wrongly "packed in" with the "usual suspects", and I try to keep that in mind when battling with the little turd.

Just sayin'.
        Excuse me - but I am a fairly LARGE turd...

Thanks for the post, CP, and I appreciate the vote of support. And I've been working on my wordiness. Indeed, sometimes I just solve the problem by just sto
        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          Guys, I really don't think Carpe is "holding himself up as a paragon of virtue" in the sense that he's some kind of super hypocrite. I think he really does try to be civil, and, on occasion, fails.

Just sayin'.
          I freely admit that carpe is "above the grade" compared to some of the other regulars here, but he's still fairly slippery and blind to his shortcomings. His frequent protests of "I'm not perfect, buuuut..." followed by a series of rationalizations that effectively say, "I actually kinda am," don't do him any favors.

I see in him a sincere desire to learn offset by the kind of quiet arrogance that makes him a poor pupil.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

I freely admit that carpe is "above the grade" compared to some of the other regulars here, but he's still fairly slippery and blind to his shortcomings. His frequent protests of "I'm not perfect, buuuut..." followed by a series of rationalizations that effectively say, "I actually kinda am," don't do him any favors.

I see in him a sincere desire to learn offset by the kind of quiet arrogance that makes him a poor pupil.
            Understood -- It's just becoming more and more obvious to me that we have some posters who are only here to be asses, and I am trying, personally, not to treat all "enemies" like them. If we were to run off all those who oppose us, this would be a pretty boring place.

ETA: And, yes, this is a bout me.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Which is essentially why I disengaged from this discussion. It's a Catch-22. If I dispute that I am unwilling to accept criticism, all I do is reaffirm that I am unwilling to accept criticism*. If I acknowledge that I am unwilling to accept criticism, then I am admitting that I am unwilling to accept criticism. The argument is designed to be a trap with only one possible conclusion: I am unwilling to accept criticism.

The only way I am going to show anyone that I am willing to accept criticism is to continue to accept it, act on it, and let people draw their own conclusions.

*(there is an apples and oranges comparison going one here - rejecting ONE criticism is not equivalent to rejecting ALL criticism)
              Last edited by carpedm9587; 11-27-2018, 01:33 PM.
              The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                Which is essentially why I disengaged from this discussion. It's a Catch-22. If I dispute that I am unwilling to accept criticism, all I do is reaffirm that I am unwilling to accept criticism*. If I acknowledge that I am unwilling to accept criticism, then I am admitting that I am unwilling to accept criticism. The argument is designed to be a trap with only one possible conclusion: I am unwilling to accept criticism.

The only way I am going to show anyone that I am willing to accept criticism is to continue to accept it, act on it, and let people draw their own conclusions.

*(there is an apples and oranges comparison going one here - rejecting ONE criticism is not equivalent to rejecting ALL criticism)
                We shall dunk you sir! If you drown you are innocent! But if you survive you are a witch and we shall burn you!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  We shall dunk you sir! If you drown you are innocent! But if you survive you are a witch and we shall burn you!
                  Exactly...

Comment

The specific issue here is that you seem quick to dismiss certain criticisms as mere insults rather than entertain the possibility that they could be valid or accurate descriptions of your behavior. In fact, you often make light of them with a mocking wink.

But I think this point has been sufficiently beaten into the ground.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                      See if he weighs the same as a duck!

Comment

The specific issue here is that you seem quick to dismiss certain criticisms as mere insults rather than entertain the possibility that they could be valid or accurate descriptions of your behavior.
                        You are free to point to any actual constructive criticism that I have dismissed as "an insult." I don't believe I have done so.

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                        In fact, you often make light of them with a mocking wink.
                        I usually use the "wink" with humorous intent. I don't recall using it to "mock." Again, you are free to point to an instance where you think I have done this and I will examine it

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                        But I think this point has been sufficiently beaten into the ground.
                        Actually, I'm pretty sure I saw the horse twitch...

Comment

Actually, I'm pretty sure I saw the horse twitch...

Comment