Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

12 Killed Many Wounded At Country Bar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seer View Post
    Who wanted this world? Firearms were much easier to get when I was a kid and we did not have these problems (generally).
    I tend to think you are right. There is a cost to the move away from belief in God and the belief in the general goodness of the basic morals such belief encourages and supports. Our society has moved in directions that on the whole produces more individuals capable of these sorts of activities. But we also have more access to information. Information on how and what to do. And we have access to better and more powerful weapons.

Jim
    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
      How about putting feet on your prayers, Jim, and praying for your President and his administration as scripture instructs us to pray for and submit to our governments, even when we don't like them?

Look in the mirror, Jim, when you so self-righteously point your finger at other believers.

Now, lets pray for those involved in this dreadful shooting situation and leave politics out of it.
      And exactly how do you know I am not praying for Donald Trump or other government officials?

And what exactly is self righteous about pointing out the conflict between offering to pray for victims of gun violence but actively opposing efforts to put common sense restrictions on access to guns?

I wasn't targeting seer. If he agrees he can say how about both, or amen my post.

And I'm not belittling the power of prayer.

Jim
      Last edited by oxmixmudd; 11-08-2018, 11:23 AM.
      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
        I tend to think you are right. There is a cost to the move away from belief in God and the belief in the general goodness of the basic morals such belief encourages and supports. Our society has moved in directions that on the whole produces more individuals capable of these sorts of activities. But we also have more access to information. Information on how and what to do. And we have access to better and more powerful weapons.

Jim
        There are people who will do this kind of evil even if they don't have access to guns. They will make a bomb, or run a truck through a crowd. They are sick or evil.

That is no reason to take guns away from law abiding citizens. There are many cases where some citizen with a gun actually stops a shooter or robber. 99% of people with legally owned guns are responsible and would never misuse them.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          There are people who will do this kind of evil even if they don't have access to guns. They will make a bomb, or run a truck through a crowd. They are sick or evil.

That is no reason to take guns away from law abiding citizens. There are many cases where some citizen with a gun actually stops a shooter or robber. 99% of people with legally owned guns are responsible and would never misuse them.
          There is no need that common sense restrictions on access to guns should prevent even 1 sane, responsible, law abiding citizen from acquiring any legal firearm they desire.

And honestly, these sorts of arguments remind me of how the auto industry pushed back for lo long, first on seatbelts, and then on airbags

Jim
          Last edited by oxmixmudd; 11-08-2018, 11:28 AM.

Comment

There is no need that common sense restrictions on access to guns should prevent even 1 sane, responsible, law abiding citizen from acquiring any legal firearm they desire.

And honestly, these sorts of arguments remind me of how the auto industry pushed back for lo long, first on seatbelts, and then on airbags

Jim

We already have laws that make it unlawful for someone who is insane to own a gun. But how do you judge insanity? Do you say someone who is bipolar can't own a gun? or schizophrenic? It's a pretty fuzzy field. And sometimes perfectly sane people flip out. There will always be murderers and shooters no matter what laws you pass.

And if there is no one else around with a gun when they do go off the rails, then you end up with a lot of dead people. It takes time for the police to respond. Since the overwhelming number of people with guns are responsible, I would rather have more people with guns out there to stop the few nutcases or evil people out there with guns.

Comment

Procession starting for the fallen deputy and someone is preaching the resurrection. Apparently family of another victim.
              Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                Its complex. I support gun control, but the US in a particular situation. Any attempt at gun control is going to be a long, slow, affair. You'd need to gradually make owning certain types of firearms illegal, and punishable (if they were kept in a configuration that allowed them to be fired - a solution would be to weld in a metal cylinder into the shaft).

At each step of the way you'd have people disagreeing about this. I mean as we saw in another thread here gun rights are more important to many Christians here, than the lives of the unborn children, or on the same level.

Which frankly still shocks me.
                After WWII one of my uncles brought a German MP-38/40 Maschinenpistole (submachine gun) home as a souvenir. My grandmother (his mother) told me how federal government officials surrounded their farm and raided it. They took the firing pin and put a lead plug in the barrel. Shortly after they left he replaced the missing firing pin and plugged barrel. I can only assume he had spare parts

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

How about putting feet on our prayers and at least trying not to let nutcases have guns? How about putting feet on our prayers and at least trying to make sure that weapons of significant power to inflict mass destruction can't be picked up by Joe crazy at a gun show?
                  How about at least waiting for all the families of the victims to be notified before starting to exploit this?

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    How about at least waiting for all the families of the victims to be notified before starting to exploit this?
                    Too late.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      After WWII one of my uncles brought a German MP-38/40 Maschinenpistole (submachine gun) home as a souvenir. My grandmother (his mother) told me how federal government officials surrounded their farm and raided it. They took the firing pin and put a lead plug in the barrel. Shortly after they left he replaced the missing firing pin and plugged barrel. I can only assume he had spare parts
                      I'd put two electrodes across its firing mechanism. Heat it to the point of welding of the metals and render it entirely inoperable. Requiring a complete replacement of everything.

Lead plug sounds more like symbolic politics to me. Can't you melt out the lead?

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                        I'd put two electrodes across its firing mechanism. Heat it to the point of welding of the metals and render it entirely inoperable. Requiring a complete replacement of everything.

Lead plug sounds more like symbolic politics to me. Can't you melt out the lead?
                        Lead is relatively soft and has a melting point of only 621F / 326C

You wouldn't even have to melt it out - you could drill a hole through it smaller than the ID of the barrel, then push it out.
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

You wouldn't even have to melt it out - you could drill a hole through it smaller than the ID of the barrel, then push it out.
                          Yeah sounded easy to fix. I'll put it down as a symbolical political act then.

Comment

That's probably what was done, but my grandmother was very fuzzy on the details (I doubt she knew unless her son boasted to her about how he did it)

Comment

Unfortunately, when a thread like this is started in civics, it seems to invite gun control debate. Perhaps threads like this should start out in 'memorial gardens' or 'prayer requests' or some place that gives some modicum of reverence to those who were killed or injured?
                              How about a single forum in which all gun control discussions must take place?
                              Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                                We already have laws that make it unlawful for someone who is insane to own a gun. But how do you judge insanity? Do you say someone who is bipolar can't own a gun? or schizophrenic? It's a pretty fuzzy field. And sometimes perfectly sane people flip out. There will always be murderers and shooters no matter what laws you pass.

And if there is no one else around with a gun when they do go off the rails, then you end up with a lot of dead people. It takes time for the police to respond. Since the overwhelming number of people with guns are responsible, I would rather have more people with guns out there to stop the few nutcases or evil people out there with guns.
                                Just like with automobile air bags, the proof comes in looking at how much violence exists in countries that are more restrictive of gun ownership.

The US has the most lax gun laws overall and some of the worst gun violence. It is sad but true. Guns are inherently dangerous things and require responsibility and integrity to be properly managed. I grew up around guns and almost found myself in a situation where lax management of a loaded gun could have ended up in a tragedy. Had I not been educated that one always treats a gun as loaded it almost certainly would have. I enjoy shooting, but I am not against responsible laws restricting the ownership and availability of guns. How many more mass shootings will it take for those opposed to responsible gun laws and enforcement strategies to realize that we can't continue as we are?

We are hearing about shootings like this over and over again! It has to stop. There are a lot of contributing factors. Our society as a whole has some real problems. But the general availability, and the lack of proper controls, especially at gun shows, is a significant part of the problem.

Jim
                                Last edited by oxmixmudd; 11-08-2018, 06:56 PM.

Comment