Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Ginsburg Fall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ginsburg Fall

I'll bet this is giving everyone on the left heartburn...
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Frankly, she cannot be allowed to step down or leave office. It's a horrible situation, but the courts are stacked enough with far-right SCOTUS's which will set your country back years.

I cannot imagine why the 'left' (sorry, i know you hate the term!) as voters don't seem to be as bothered about the supreme court as the 'right'.

Republican Voters like most on here who claim not to be Trump supporters (yet never seem to start up threads about the awful things he does or says and prefer to keep quiet/defend him) voted for him as they knew the importance of filling that SCOTUS seat the Republicans stole from Obama. They've even managed to get another one pushed through.

Yet another far-right SCOTUS would be irredeemably bad news for your country.

Comment

I'll be praying.

Comment

Originally posted by EvoUK View Post
        If you lean left? Yes. Most people on this forum lean very right, and would be celebrating it.

To some here, Trump's election was only so that he could put judges in the Supreme Court.

Comment

She should have retired years ago if only for the good of her own health.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            She should have retired years ago if only for the good of her own health.
            It was her determination that if she had stepped down during the Obama administration, to let fresh blood in, then the House wouldn't have elected another similarly liberal person. I found her excuse to sound a bit self-serving. And now its biting her in the rear.

For what its worth I think Scalia should have stepped down before he had his heart attack. I'm sure similar reasons kept him on the bench.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
              To some here, Trump's election was only so that he could put judges in the Supreme Court.
              Oh yes, as i mentioned in my initial reply, it was very much the ends justifies the means. It's also why they're mostly looking the other way during his presidency, other than the minority who actually like how he behaves, but then they're just deplorable...

Comment

Frankly, she cannot be allowed to step down or leave office. It's a horrible situation, but the courts are stacked enough with far-right SCOTUS's which will set your country back years.

I cannot imagine why the 'left' (sorry, i know you hate the term!) as voters don't seem to be as bothered about the supreme court as the 'right'.

Republican Voters like most on here who claim not to be Trump supporters (yet never seem to start up threads about the awful things he does or says and prefer to keep quiet/defend him) voted for him as they knew the importance of filling that SCOTUS seat the Republicans stole from Obama. They've even managed to get another one pushed through.

I love how European liberals keep telling us how we should think or believe and be more like them.
                "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Oh yes, as i mentioned in my initial reply, it was very much the ends justifies the means. It's also why they're mostly looking the other way during his presidency, other than the minority who actually like how he behaves, but then they're just deplorable...
                  I respect the play. It worked. I disagree with it, but it is what it is.

They've won a lot of lasting influence for their political ideology during this presidency.

Comment

You're usually far more cordial than these insults, Evo. Is everything ok?
                    That's what
                    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                      I love how European liberals keep telling us how we should think or believe and be more like them.
                      My countrymen voted for Brexit 52/48%, and my appalling government and opposition party are merely making it worse (not that making it worse should be even possible, the concept of Brexit being such a self-evidently bad idea).

[edited to add]
                      I suspect you actually were referring to the rest of Europe who actually have a leg to stand on?
                      Last edited by EvoUK; 11-08-2018, 09:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                        You're usually far more cordial than these insults, Evo. Is everything ok?
                        Must be the sad state of affairs in my own country affecting my mood Bill

Comment

My countrymen voted for Brexit 52/48%, and my appalling government and opposition party are merely making it worse (not that making it worse should be even possible, the concept of Brexit being such a self-evidently bad idea).

[edited to add]
                          I suspect you actually were referring to the rest of Europe who actually have a leg to stand on?
                          Your country was the one cops didn’t move in on a sex trafficking ring because they didn’t want to appear Islamicphobic.
                          "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

I routinely say Trump is a lousy person. But he has actually done a good job policy wise as President. His communication skills need a lot of work.

And yes, I would like to see another conservative in SCOTUS. It has been dominated by liberals for long enough. That is why our country is in such a mess today.

And this is why Trump is so happy about maintaining the majority in the senate (not because Ginsburg got hurt, but because it means there is more opportunity to get more conservative judges out there and in the supreme court)

And he is not appointing "FAR RIGHT" justices. These are average middle of the road conservatives. They are not radicals or alt-right.

Comment

Must be the sad state of affairs in my own country affecting my mood Bill
                              I find that a good pint helps for a bit
                              That's what
                              - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                              - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                              - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment