Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Ginsburg Fall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    The SPLC? I thought you rejected hyper-partisan sources??
    Actually - the SPLC tends to be pretty spot on calling out hate groups. We have followed them for years, since we adopted our boys. I have occasionally found them to over-reach - but not often.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      She was "not 100% sober" enough to fall dead asleep during a presidential speech. That's pretty darn "not 100% sober".

Of course it being Obama, liberals were quick to accuse her of ardent racism.

Wait, that didn't happen? Oh well...

I have had a glass of wine with dinner - and nodded off thereafter. Given the riveting nature of a SOTU speech, and her age, I doubt it would take more than a glass or two. Again, "not 100% sober" is not equal to "drunk," unless you have already made a partisan decision to disparage a person. Then you might as well say a sip is a gallon and just call anyone who has a glass of wine a drunkard. That is not my inclination.
      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
        I have had a glass of wine with dinner - and nodded off thereafter. Given the riveting nature of a SOTU speech, and her age, I doubt it would take more than a glass or two. Again, "not 100% sober" is not equal to "drunk," unless you have already made a partisan decision to disparage a person. Then you might as well say a sip is a gallon and just call anyone who has a glass of wine a drunkard. That is not my inclination.
        The way she tells the story, it was more than a single glass, and she was more than just a little buzzed.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Starlight View Post
          I heard she's had broken ribs before and fought off cancer and had a organ removed all without missing a day at work. Apparently this time she fell over in her office and carried on with her day, only to later decide it was hurting a bit and thought she needed to get checked out, so went into hospital and they said she'd broken 3 ribs. She seems unstoppable.
          Horcruxes.
          Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Actually - the SPLC tends to be pretty spot on calling out hate groups.
            Which is why the FBI unceremoniously dropped by them from their Hate Crime Web page as a source.

Then there was their branding of the Family Research Council, a mainstream conservative think tank founded by James Dobson, as a "hate group" on par with Aryan Nations, Knights of the Ku Klux Klan, Stormfront and the Westboro Baptist Church. This directly led to an armed gunman, Floyd Corkins II, entering FRC's Washington D.C. headquarters in 2012 and opening fire. Fortunately nobody was killed although a security guard was wounded before wrestling Corkins to the ground and disarming him.

Corkins, a gay activist who volunteered at a LGBT community center, told the FBI agent interviewing him that he picked the FRC to attack because they were on the SPLC's list of anti-gay "hate groups."

The SPLC strenuously defended their actions because, get this, the FRC takes a political stance that they disagree with. That was enough to earn them being listed as a hate group. Meanwhile groups like Black Lives Matter chant things like "Pigs in a blanket, fry 'em like bacon!" and "What do we want? Dead cops!" at their protests but the SPLC sees nothing wrong with that and even say they are merely "activists for racial justice"
            Last edited by rogue06; 11-10-2018, 02:24 AM.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

The way she tells the story, it was more than a single glass, and she was more than just a little buzzed.
              Then she should get on well with her new alcoholic colleague, Brett Kavanaugh, shouldn't she. Hang in there Ruth.
              “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Citation? I'm not seeing anything that says she did more than have some wine with her dinner. And I repeat - "not 100% sober" and "drunk" are not synonymous. So you claim that she "admitted to being drunk" is simply untrue (unless you can support it with something more than what you have provided thus far).

Comment

Citation? I'm not seeing anything that says she did more than have some wine with her dinner. And I repeat - "not 100% sober" and "drunk" are not synonymous. So you claim that she "admitted to being drunk" is simply untrue (unless you can support it with something more than what you have provided thus far).
                  "I fell asleep because I had a glass of wine."

VS

"I fell asleep because I wasn't 100% sober."

Comment

"I fell asleep because I had a glass of wine."

VS

"I fell asleep because I wasn't 100% sober."

So I rest my case. You are exaggerating and assuming. 'Nuff said.

Comment

So I rest my case. You are exaggerating and assuming. 'Nuff said.
                      On the contrary, I'm taking Ginsberg at her word.

Comment

On the contrary, I'm taking Ginsberg at her word.
                        I have learned it is pointless to press further on such things with you, MM. You regularly interpret the comments of others to suit your worldview, and then cling to it without any acknowledgement that your interpretation doesn't align with what was actually said, or that you are adding/exaggerating meaning. So I'll leave you to it. I'm comfortable that you have failed to make your case and are simply interpreting language to suit your existing perspective.

Last word to you.

P.S. Her name is spelled with a "u" - Ginsburg.
                        Last edited by carpedm9587; 11-10-2018, 10:23 AM.

Comment

You regularly interpret the comments of others to suit your worldview...
                          Not at all. I'm just taking Ginsburg at her word. You're the one who's trying to spin her remark to say something other than its plain meaning.

Comment

However much it was, carpe, it was enough to put her to sleep while listening to the Orator in Chief. She's not a large person, so it wouldn't take much. Why are you splitting hairs over this?
                            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                            sigpic
                            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                              Then she should get on well with her new alcoholic colleague, Brett Kavanaugh, shouldn't she. Hang in there Ruth.
                              For the sarcastically impaired the following is said in jest

Yes, everyone who drinks heavily in late high school/college is an alcoholic.

Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                              sigpic
                              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                                However much it was, carpe, it was enough to put her to sleep while listening to the Orator in Chief. She's not a large person, so it wouldn't take much. Why are you splitting hairs over this?
                                I find the hyperbole from both sides to be tedious in the extreme. An 80+ year old woman has some wine at dinner and falls asleep at a boring speech. Who the heck cares? It's not an indication that she's frail - or behaving inappropriately. Painting people with her history, work ethic, and track record in such a light is just petty.

So I'm not letting people "get away" with it. It has nothing to do with splitting hairs. "Not 100% sober" is not necessarily "drunk," so the claim that she "admitted she was drunk" is just an outright lie.

Comment