Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Age fluidity

  1. #1
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    42,175
    Amen (Given)
    3966
    Amen (Received)
    19353

    Age fluidity

    Women have traditionally been "age fluid" for generations. "I'm 29" says the 35 year old.

    But now a Dutch man is suing to get his age legally changed so he can get a date.

    Dutch man hopes legal age change will get him more Tinder matches

    People have surely resorted to some interesting tactics in order to score a date on Tinder, but Emile Ratelband, a motivational speaker from the Netherlands, is taking a peculiar route. Ratelband claims that though he is 69 years old, he feels 20 years younger, and his actual age is making it difficult for him to find matches on the dating app. So now he has filed a lawsuit to get his age legally changed. "When I'm 69, I am limited," Ratelband said. "If I'm 49, then I can buy a new house, drive a different car. I can take up more work. When I'm on Tinder and it says I'm 69, I don't get an answer. When I'm 49, with the face I have, I will be in a luxurious position."

    Ratelband and his attorney argued in an Arnhem court that wanting to change his age is no different than wanting to legally change his name or gender. "Why can't I decide my own age," he asked. He's seeking to change his official birth date from March 11th, 1949 to March 11th, 1969, and he's even willing to give up his pension to do so.

    Along with struggling to find love on Tinder, Ratelband claims his age makes it difficult for him to find work. But he says he doesn't want to just lie about how old he is, telling the Washington Post, "If you lie, you have to remember everything you say." Town hall officials reportedly denied his request for the age change when he first requested it. They also denied previous requests from Ratelband when he wanted to name his twins Rolls and Royce.

    Ratelband says his doctors have told him that he has the body of a 45-year-old and he described himself as a "young god." The court is expected to issue a ruling within four weeks.


  2. #2
    tWebber Leonhard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Denmark - Jutland
    Faith
    Catholic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,967
    Amen (Given)
    903
    Amen (Received)
    2702
    That's sad. That's beyond sad. This man hit sad and went "No... I can get even worse".
    Edited by a Moderator
    Last edited by Sparko; 11-08-2018 at 02:10 PM.

  3. #3
    tWebber seer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    New England
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    21,581
    Amen (Given)
    1238
    Amen (Received)
    4340
    Hehe, this is true. We did not know that my mother in law was ten years older than she had been telling us until she died and someone found her birth certificate.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

  4. #4
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    44,554
    Amen (Given)
    9590
    Amen (Received)
    21762
    Quote Originally Posted by seer View Post
    Hehe, this is true. We did not know that my mother in law was ten years older than she had been telling us until she died and someone found her birth certificate.
    I lied about my age to get into the Navy a year earlier than I should have -- it has come back to bite me ever since. Even the Social Security Admin fought me on .... wait - that was --- they thought I was a year YOUNGER than.....


    ... I'm not sure anymore how old I am.



    Therefore, I am 29!

    1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

  5. Amen Sparko amen'd this post.
  6. #5
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    70
    Amen (Given)
    67
    Amen (Received)
    66
    Seems as reasonable as changing sex. What about the people with conditions that cause them to age too quickly, or those that never age at all? People frequently mistake me for someone 10 to 15 years younger, and I still feel that age. Then there's the fact that time is arbitrary and a social construct, based on our relative position in the universe.

  7. #6
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    42,175
    Amen (Given)
    3966
    Amen (Received)
    19353
    Quote Originally Posted by LeaC View Post
    Seems as reasonable as changing sex.
    which is not reasonable at all.

    What about the people with conditions that cause them to age too quickly, or those that never age at all? People frequently mistake me for someone 10 to 15 years younger, and I still feel that age. Then there's the fact that time is arbitrary and a social construct, based on our relative position in the universe.
    Age is a function of 1. When you were born. and 2. How many times the earth has gone around the sun.

    You can't just arbitrarily change either one of them. You can lie about them all you want, but that doesn't change the scientific facts.

  8. #7
    tWebber Mountain Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    United States
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    12,211
    Amen (Given)
    4982
    Amen (Received)
    4549
    Quote Originally Posted by seer View Post
    Hehe, this is true. We did not know that my mother in law was ten years older than she had been telling us until she died and someone found her birth certificate.
    My grandfather was born in rural Colorado coal country in the 1920's and never had a birth certificate. In fact, he wasn't entirely sure what year he had been born, let alone a specific day.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God


    From "Fools Gold" by Petra

  9. #8
    tWebber Mountain Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    United States
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    12,211
    Amen (Given)
    4982
    Amen (Received)
    4549
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    You can lie about them all you want, but that doesn't change the scientific facts.
    Since when do liberals care about scientific fact?
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God


    From "Fools Gold" by Petra

  10. #9
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    70
    Amen (Given)
    67
    Amen (Received)
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    which is not reasonable at all.



    Age is a function of 1. When you were born. and 2. How many times the earth has gone around the sun.

    You can't just arbitrarily change either one of them. You can lie about them all you want, but that doesn't change the scientific facts.
    Right, I agree. What I can't figure out is why that's obvious in one case and not the other.

  11. #10
    Professor Cerebrum123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    9,300
    Amen (Given)
    17387
    Amen (Received)
    3438
    Quote Originally Posted by LeaC View Post
    Right, I agree. What I can't figure out is why that's obvious in one case and not the other.
    I'd say indoctrination.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •