Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Ruth Bader Ginsburg injured in fall and... well...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ruth Bader Ginsburg injured in fall and... well...

Source: Supreme Court Justice Ginsburg, 85, breaks three ribs in fall

Ruth Bader Ginsburg, a prominent liberal who at age 85 is the oldest U.S. Supreme Court justice, was hospitalized on Thursday after fracturing three ribs in a fall the night before at her office at the court, a court spokeswoman said.

Ginsburg, appointed in 1993 by Democratic former President Bill Clinton as only the second woman to serve on the high court, initially went home after the fall, but experienced discomfort overnight and went to George Washington University Hospital on Thursday morning, court spokeswoman Kathy Arberg said in a statement.

Tests showed Ginsburg fractured three ribs on her left side and she was admitted for observation and treatment, Arberg added. The court is not scheduled to hear its next arguments in cases until Nov. 26.

Ginsburg, who made her name as an advocate for women’s rights, is one of the court’s four liberals. The court’s 5-4 conservative majority was restored last month when the Senate confirmed Republican President Donald Trump’s appointee Brett Kavanaugh after a contentious nomination process in which Kavanaugh denied a sexual assault allegation dating to the 1980s.

If Ginsburg were unable to continue serving, Trump likely would move swiftly to replace her with a conservative, further shifting the court to the right. A potentially dominant 6-3 conservative majority would have major consequences for issues including abortion, the death penalty, voting rights, gay rights, religious liberty, business litigation and presidential powers.

As the oldest justice, Ginsburg is closely watched for any signs of deteriorating health, even though she has bounced back from previous medical issues.

Ginsburg has fallen twice before at her home, in 2012 and 2013, leading to rib injuries. She was treated in 1999 for colon cancer and again in 2009 for pancreatic cancer, both serious forms of cancer, but did not miss any argument sessions either time.

Ginsburg called Trump an egotistical “faker” when he was running for president in 2016, in an unusual foray into politics by a Supreme Court justice. Trump responded, saying her “mind is shot” and she should resign. Ginsburg later expressed regret over her remarks, saying “judges should avoid commenting on a candidate for public office.”

Ginsburg is a hero among many U.S. liberals, sometimes called “The Notorious R.B.G” in a nickname based on the late American rapper The Notorious B.I.G. A documentary film about her, called “RBG,” was released earlier this year. A biographical film about her, called “On the Basis of Sex” and starring Felicity Jones, is being released next month.

Ginsburg has helped buttress equality rights during her time on the high court, including in sex discrimination cases, and has been a champion of abortion rights and gay rights. In 2010, after the retirement of more senior liberals, she became the court’s voice of liberalism on behalf of women, racial minorities and the poor and disenfranchised.

Ginsburg voiced support for the #MeToo movement against sexual misconduct after Kavanaugh was accused of sexual assault by a university professor, saying that unlike in her youth, “women nowadays are not silent about bad behavior.”

Trump has already named two members of the court, adding conservative federal appeals court judges Kavanaugh and Neil Gorsuch, who was confirmed by the Senate last year. The court’s other liberal justices are Stephen Breyer, Elena Kagan and Sonia Sotomayor. Breyer, 80, is the court’s second-oldest justice....

Source

© Copyright Original Source

All partisanship aside I sincerely wish her well and hope that she recovers quickly. The pause/hesitation at the end of the title of the thread is due to something not mentioned in the Reuters report above. The reaction from some to the news

Source: People concerned about Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s fall are offering their ribs and organs

Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, 85, fractured three ribs in a fall in her office Wednesday night, according to a statement from the Supreme Court’s public information office.

“Tests showed that she fractured three ribs on the left side,” the statement said. She was taken to George Washington University Hospital.

Ginsburg has survived several fights with cancer and had heart surgery in 2014, according to CNBC. She has beaten pancreatic and colon cancer, the two deadliest forms of the disease.

People, especially younger people, were offering the octogenarian affectionately known as RBG their own ribs on social media Thursday morning. They even started the hashtag #RibsForRuth on Twitter.

[*continues with a few tweets as examples*]

Source

© Copyright Original Source

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

You can't donate ribs. But this is kinda cute. And a little weird.

Comment

Was she drunk again? https://www.politico.com/story/2015/...ol-sotu-115172
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

I can't believe the ignorance of people who think they can donate ribs. And how many do they think she needs, that they have to start a donation drive for it?

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
          I can't believe the ignorance of people who think they can donate ribs. And how many do they think she needs, that they have to start a donation drive for it?

Maybe they have spare ribs.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
            I can't believe the ignorance of people who think they can donate ribs.

They are called Democrats, and in this country we actually let them vote.
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
              They are called Democrats, and in this country we actually let them vote.

Then I don't know who is stupider, the ones who are donating their ribs or the ones who let them vote.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Maybe some of the offers are less than serious, not unlike those hilarious jokesters who think that vaccines cause autism.
                "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
                Hear my cry, hear my shout,
                Save me, save me"

Comment

Originally posted by guacamole View Post
                  Maybe some of the offers are less than serious, not unlike those hilarious jokesters who think that vaccines cause autism.
                  I have no idea what you're trying to convey here, since anti-vaxxers are dead serious in their thinking.
                  Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

We've clearly got posters here who have a bone to pick with Ginsburg.
                    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                      We've clearly got posters here who have a bone to pick with Ginsburg.
                      That wasn't humerus.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        Maybe they have spare ribs.

Groan
                        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                          I have no idea what you're trying to convey here, since anti-vaxxers are dead serious in their thinking.
                          I would like to think that the people aren't being serious, but I'm afraid there are people who really think they could donate a rib. Just like, yes, the anti-vaxxers are dead serious.
                          Save me, save me"

Comment

Originally posted by guacamole View Post
                            I would like to think that the people aren't being serious, but I'm afraid there are people who really think they could donate a rib. Just like, yes, the anti-vaxxers are dead serious.
                            I'm actually not sure in principle why one could not, in fact, donate a rib. I mean, in reality it's much easier to just heal the broken one, but....
                            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                            sigpic
                            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                              I'm actually not sure in principle why one could not, in fact, donate a rib. I mean, in reality it's much easier to just heal the broken one, but....
                              I was skeptical, but.. whelp, I did find this:

Originally posted by NSFW plastic surgery website
                              Rib Removal
                              Dr. Dorner performs rib removal surgery in Columbus, OH. Rib removal surgery improves the contours and definition of the waist by narrowing it just above the hips. By removing the lower three ribs, the waistline contracts and is further defined.

What are the benefits of rib removal?
                              Patients in good health who are not able to reduce their waist despite a healthy diet and regular exercise may benefit from this procedure. Rib removal results in a tighter waistline with improved curves. Often patients get liposuction at the same time to enhance the contour even more. This procedure improves the feminine appearance and is popular not only with women, but also transgender patients who want more of an hourglass figure.

What is the procedure for rib removal?
                              The operation takes about three hours and is performed with the patient under general anesthesia. Most patients will go home the same evening. The surgery involves making two small incisions on either side of lower back to access the ribs. These incisions are very small and fade over time.

There is a moderate amount of discomfort related to the rib removal procedure, with some patients experiencing lingering soreness for up to six weeks. However, most people are back to normal activities within two weeks.
                              So.

I don't want to live on this planet anymore.
                              Save me, save me"

Comment