Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Florida Recount in Senate Race?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Pop quiz:

Someone tells you that what you're doing is questionably legal. How do you respond?

A: "This is probably legal, so I should keep doing it."
    B: "This is probably illegal, so I should stop doing it."
    C. None of the above.
    Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
    MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
      A false dichotomy. The real question is:

Someone tells you that what you're doing is questionably legal. How do you respond?

A: "Arbitrarily decide whether it is legal or illegal and act accordingly"
      B: "Investigate the legality to determine if you are on safe ground or not"

You see, both of your statements are "probably" statements. Until I resolve the "probably," I don't know which applies. Indeed, you don't even know "probably." You know "possibly," hence the term "questionable." Given the possibility of illegality, the prudent course is to stop what you are doing until that can be determined. What you and OBP are doing, however, is arbitrarily deciding it is illegal. I am not saying it is "legal." I am saying it should be investigated - as has been called for.

Furthermore, in the context, the groups in question clearly said these would be used "if a judge approves."

As far as I can tell, this entire thing is a tempest in a right-wing teapot, and you folks are working really hard to convict without due process: an odd position given the love so many on the right have for the constitution.
      "questionably legal" is a phrase that means "shady" or "likely dishonest if not outright illegal." or as you earlier said, "of doubtful legality"

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        "questionably legal" is a phrase that means "shady" or "likely dishonest if not outright illegal." or as you earlier said, "of doubtful legality"
        Yeah, if somebody says you're doing something that is "questionably legal", it's obviously throwing doubt on the legality - like you're trying to cheat, or maybe APPEAR to be legal, while thwarting the law.

Why else would they use the word "questionably"?

Even if somebody said "technically legal", that again gives the implication that what you're doing is not right.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          Yeah, if somebody says you're doing something that is "questionably legal", it's obviously throwing doubt on the legality - like you're trying to cheat, or maybe APPEAR to be legal, while thwarting the law.

Even if somebody said "technically legal", that again gives the implication that what you're doing is not right.
          Right. Nobody has ever used the phrase "questionably legal" to refer to something that is probably legal.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            Of course it's not, but "you are (pretty selectively) electing to interpret [it] to fit your story."

Another issue that raises suspicion is that the "altered" forms were only being sent to Democrat voters.
            Citation, please...?
            The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              Perhaps to you. As best I can tell - it means, "the legality of the action is questionable," meaning there is a chance it is illegal. So there is doubt about its legality. That does not make it "illegal" or "fraudulent." It means the question has to be settled to determine this.
              The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

It means what it says: there is a question about the legality of the action. Many things that were "questionably legal" were then judged to be perfectly legal. Many were then judged to be illegal. It means the legality of the issue at hand is at question.

I am amazed at the equivalence being made between "questionably legal" and "illegal." The two simply are not the same thing.

I smell a desire to hold an existing point of view by creating a false equivalence. Only you know for sure - but language is being bent to mean something it clearly does NOT mean.

Comment

Perhaps to you. As best I can tell - it means, "the legality of the action is questionable," meaning there is a chance it is illegal.
                  Actually, I think any reasonable unbiased person (like me ) would suggest that the REASON it is "questionable" is that it may well be illegal.

So there is doubt about its legality.
                  Correct.

That does not make it "illegal" or "fraudulent." It means the question has to be settled to determine this.
                  But, in the mean time, it's 'questionable', which indicates concern for the legality, and there must be a foundation for that suspicion.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

It means what it says: there is a question about the legality of the action. Many things that were "questionably legal" were then judged to be perfectly legal. Many were then judged to be illegal.
                    Charts and graphs, please. Your assumption is questionable.

Comment