Announcement

Collapse

Home Economics 101

Welcome to the Home Ec Section. Matters of the family sometimes bring joy and other times bring grief. But it is never trivial: Family matters! Feel free to discuss topics such as the sanctity of marriage; the awesome responsibility of raising children; the struggles of communication problems; the grief of losing a loved one; or anything else that relates to the home and family. However, due to the more personal nature of this section, I ask that you would be especially thoughtful of the readers' feelings. My earnest hope and prayer is that the discussions in this section will help families grow in the love of Christ.

But remember, always play by the rules: here
See more
See less

BlueBird Cards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BlueBird Cards

I really got tired of Gift Cards - I don't like to use or give them. The companies BANK on you either losing them, forgetting them, or not using the entire balance, which reverts back to them.

It is estimated that 41 BILLION DOLLARS has been lost because of unused or lost gift cards.

So, I was looking for a way to give my grandkids money without mailing it to them, without giving or mailing them a gift card, and I found BlueBird.

It's operated by American Express and Walmart, and costs NOTHING to use.

bluebird_logo_large.png

The thing I like best is that you can have a family account, where, for example, I can keep a sum of money on my master BlueBird card, and easily transfer it using my phone app as needed to my grandkids' bluebird cards which are ALSO free, and are issued in their own names, even though they are minors.

It operates as a debit card with no fees. If my Drill Team Ryleigh is at an away game, and needs money for something, I can transfer it to her for free and it instantly shows up on her debit card. Or, if SpongeBob wants to buy some new whatsafratz for his Roblox game, he can use his debit card for fundage.

And the BEST part --- you can monitor / control / limit their spending from your website or app.

So far, it's working out GREAT!

The only downside (and it's a minor one) is that I have to go to Walmart and reload my mater BlueBird card with cash at the service desk - but then it's really easy to transfer some money to the grandkids.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I really got tired of Gift Cards - I don't like to use or give them. The companies BANK on you either losing them, forgetting them, or not using the entire balance, which reverts back to them.
    Let's not for get the cards that charge a fee when you use the card along with a monthly fee for as long as you have the card.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      Let's not for get the cards that charge a fee when you use the card along with a monthly fee for as long as you have the card.
      Yeah, I don't know how Amex is making money on these, unless they count on you using them for debit at out-of-network ATMs or something --- but you hit a good point --- some of them have a small monthly fee where the balance continually diminishes while you have that card lost in your kitchen utility drawer or something....

Or there will be a fee for reloading or whatever - these Bluebird cards even have free reloading if you do direct deposit, and you CAN do direct deposit just as if it were a checking account.

This is a great tool for those (like my daughter) who are recovering from financial ruin, and don't yet have a checking account set up.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Yeah, I don't know how Amex is making money on these, unless they count on you using them for debit at out-of-network ATMs or something --- but you hit a good point --- some of them have a small monthly fee where the balance continually diminishes while you have that card lost in your kitchen utility drawer or something....

Or there will be a fee for reloading or whatever - these Bluebird cards even have free reloading if you do direct deposit, and you CAN do direct deposit just as if it were a checking account.

This is a great tool for those (like my daughter) who are recovering from financial ruin, and don't yet have a checking account set up.
        I imagine that Amex charges the merchant (usually 2 - 5%) for purchases like all credit cards do...
        "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
          I imagine that Amex charges the merchant (usually 2 - 5%) for purchases like all credit cards do...
          Gotta be something like that, cause so far we've had ZERO fees, and the cards have worked everywhere we've tried using them.

Comment

I found a $25 gift card in an old wallet for the restaurant Chili's a few years ago and decided to use it. I was told there was zero balance on it but the waitress urged me to call the number on the card and complain. I did and found that the card was over 10 years old and service fees had eaten up the remaining $10 balance but they sent me five $5 off cards (yes you could combine them and I did) which more than covered it.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              I found a $25 gift card in an old wallet for the restaurant Chili's a few years ago and decided to use it. I was told there was zero balance on it but the waitress urged me to call the number on the card and complain. I did and found that the card was over 10 years old and service fees had eaten up the remaining $10 balance but they sent me five $5 off cards (yes you could combine them and I did) which more than covered it.
              One of my basic financial strategies --- "it NEVER hurts to ask!!!"

Comment

It's illegal in Canada for any gift cards to expire. Any of the ones I've ever bought for anything don't have service fees, either.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                  It's illegal in Canada for any gift cards to expire. Any of the ones I've ever bought for anything don't have service fees, either.
                  When we visited Canada a few years ago, I was impressed that ALL credit card transactions in restaurants take place at your table, and your card never leaves your sight. I think THAT should be standard here in the Us.

Comment

When we visited Canada a few years ago, I was impressed that ALL credit card transactions in restaurants take place at your table, and your card never leaves your sight. I think THAT should be standard here in the Us.
                    I've paid with credit card at a counter till, but still have my hands on the card all the time.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

sounds cool.

Send me a card so I can test it out for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        sounds cool.

Give me your bank account information so I can set it up for you.

Comment

sounds cool.

Looks like check and mate.

Comment

If you are sending me a refillable debit card you don't need my bank information.

Comment

If you are sending me a refillable debit card you don't need my bank information.
                              Sure, I want to get it all set up for you so you can refill it yourself!

Comment