Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

California Burns: Trump Blames...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
    Of course I am because I don’t let my hatred of a man control me in the way you do. Are you a native to California Jim? Nope, but I am and do you what actually happens? The state spends billions in projects nobody wants and let’s important projects slip by. Just as you close your eyes and ignore the self destruction Puerto Rico did upon itself by refusing to update its power grid you close your eyes and ignore how California destroys itself by wasting billions on bullet trains vs fire equipmemt and fire prevention. Keep those eyes slammed shut because in your hate filled world, pointing out local government failure is hateful because it’s wrong apparently to blame local government for problems of their own creation. Now deal with these facts or go away Pharasee. It isn’t your family in danger because of the stupidity of the local government.
    You are still off the rails pix. Trump is threatening to remove emergency aid that the people of California will need. Your anger against what you see as failings in the California government justifies making those people suffer? There are other ways to change the California government than making people who have lost everything lose even more.

I am curious pix. Does it make feel better to call me names? If so, feel free. And I'm sorry if you are facing any immediate threat from these fires. Stay safe.

Jim
    Last edited by oxmixmudd; 11-12-2018, 06:39 AM.
    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
      You are still off the rails pix. Trump is threatening to remove emergency aid that the people of California will need. Your anger against what you see as failings in the California government justifies making those people suffer? There are other ways to change the California government than making people who have lost everything lose even more.

I am curious pix. Does it make feel better to call me names? If so, feel free. And I'm sorry if you are facing any immediate threat from these fires. Stay safe.

Jim
      The pot keeps calling the kettle black. Does it make you feel better to accuse me of things you have no evidence for so you can rage about Trump some more? Don’t like it, drop the blind accusations yourself, hypocrite. It’s 100% true that the state government has wasted billions on building a bullet train, it’s true that the government of California has spent millions on non citizens, and this is also the same state that has said they don’t need the federal government and has made efforts to become a separate nation. Theses facts are all true, but in your blind rage against Trump, you flat ignore them because your hatred is more important than bringing attention to theses little details. Now I’m not in personal danger myself, but I do have cousins that are and have been evacuated because of wild fires before. California has had fires for years and years that my grandparents and great grandparents mentioned. It’s just that there was no 24 hour news in those days and the state population didn’t explode yet, so it really wasn’t news that acres of dry brush burned. Today, there’s millions living among that dry brush.
      "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
        True. The difference is one of scale re hurricanes hitting the Gulf Coast and the California wildfires. The Camp Fire is the deadliest and most destructive in the state's history. Wild fires and hurricanes are larger and more frequent than in the past and this is attributable to the effects of global warming according to most people.

“We are entering a new normal” said Ventura County Fire Chief Mark Lorenzen. “The rate of spread is exponentially more than it used to be”. “California's fires in 2018 grow far more quickly than they did even 10 years ago”.

https://www.aol.com/article/news/201...ires/23586553/
        What they fail to mention is that those areas were at one time empty and nobody cared if acres of empty land burned.
        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          Wildfires in that region are about as common as a hurricane hitting the Gulf Coast.
          If not more common. Outside the city, it’s acres of dry brush that makes for very fast spreading fires. It isn’t uncommon to need to take a different route to avoid a fire and evocation orders are common if you live outside the city or on the outskirts.
          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

The pot keeps calling the kettle black. Does it make you feel better to accuse me of things you have no evidence for so you can rage about Trump some more? Don’t like it, drop the blind accusations yourself, hypocrite. It’s 100% true that the state government has wasted billions on building a bullet train, it’s true that the government of California has spent millions on non citizens, and this is also the same state that has said they don’t need the federal government and has made efforts to become a separate nation. Theses facts are all true, but in your blind rage against Trump, you flat ignore them because your hatred is more important than bringing attention to theses little details. Now I’m not in personal danger myself, but I do have cousins that are and have been evacuated because of wild fires before. California has had fires for years and years that my grandparents and great grandparents mentioned. It’s just that there was no 24 hour news in those days and the state population didn’t explode yet, so it really wasn’t news that acres of dry brush burned. Today, there’s millions living among that dry brush.
            I am sorry you are so angry pix. But the reality is trump threatened the people of California in their time of need. This is not a normal 'brush fire'. For him to do that is a low blow, an unconscionable thing to do. I didn't make him do that, but it is the sort of thing he has done on the past and likely the sort of vengeful thing he will do in the future. And the fact is its a bad thing to do. And to not say it's a bad thing to do would itself be wrong. So feel free to rage against me all you want, but the standards of right and wrong that guide my words are themselves absolute and independent of me or you.

Jim
            Last edited by oxmixmudd; 11-12-2018, 08:50 AM.
            My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

I am sorry you are so angry pix. But the reality is trump threatened the people of California in their time of need. This is not a normal 'brush fire'. For him to do that is a low blow, an unconscionable thing to do. I didn't make him do that, but it is the sort of thing he has done on the past and likely the sort of vengeful thing he will do in the future. And the fact is its a bad thing to do. And to not say it's a bad thing to do would itself be wrong. So feel free to rage against me all you want, but the standards of right and wrong that guide my words are themselves absolute and independent of me or you.

Jim
              IÂ’m just doing what you do Jim and throw around false accusations against those that disagree with my politics. Apparently, only youÂ’re allowed to do that and I canÂ’t. Has Trump pulled any aid? No, does Trump have a history of saying things that he doesnÂ’t do to get reactions out of people, yes. IsnÂ’t this also the same state that said they didnÂ’t need the federal government and now want them? Also, how long have you lived in California or are you going based on what the news says? The state population grows and expands into fire prone areas of the state all the time.
              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                Now I take it for granted that he shot from the hip, and put his foot in his mouth. But from what I have read over time poor forest management is a big factor in the wildfires. Any thoughts...
                This is the problem with Trump and how he divides conservatives from the their own principles. He could have said, "I stand by my promise. MAGA & America First. Help is on the way California." Then after some weeks go by and the damage settles he could say, "Glad California is on the recovery. Shame on the California gov't for slacking on forest cleanup and exacerbating wildfires. Fix it now, or your federal funding is in jeopardy. Help your own people."

Something like that. Most everyone, right or left, would agree. But instead we get some conservatives like "ya, burn california, it's your own fault b/c of big government!" Wth is that? Conservatives, please don't do this. Call out the prez, this is unacceptable.

Comment

IÂ’m just doing what you do Jim and throw around false accusations against those that disagree with my politics. Apparently, only youÂ’re allowed to do that and I canÂ’t. Has Trump pulled any aid? No, does Trump have a history of saying things that he doesnÂ’t do to get reactions out of people, yes. IsnÂ’t this also the same state that said they didnÂ’t need the federal government and now want them? Also, how long have you lived in California or are you going based on what the news says? The state population grows and expands into fire prone areas of the state all the time.
                  It doesn't matter how much you complain about issues ancillary to the current tragedy. Right now a massive fire is raging and right now there are over 200 people unaccounted for and thousands who have lost their homes. So right now is a very inappropriate time to play politics or threaten to cut funding.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                    Whether it is or isn't (and I'll assume for the sake of argument it is), refusing to help affected citizens in the future is simply punishing them for the sins of others. It's as bad as the lady who wrote into an ethics columnist complaining about a friend who refused to donate money to hurricane relief in Texas because the state voted for Trump.
                    More evidence that Trump is no better than any other politician.
                    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

It doesn't matter how much you complain about issues ancillary to the current tragedy. Right now a massive fire is raging and right now there are over 200 people unaccounted for and thousands who have lost their homes. So right now is a very inappropriate time to play politics or threaten to cut funding.

Jim
                      And when exactally is it ‘appropriate’ to talk about failures that led to tragedies?
                      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

And when exactally is it ‘appropriate’ to talk about failures that led to tragedies?
                        Pix, you're irrationality makes this endless. Go ahead and put on your flame thrower one last time and we can be done. You get the last word.

Jim

Comment

Pix, you're irrationality makes this endless. Go ahead and put on your flame thrower one last time and we can be done. You get the last word.

Jim
                          Of course I am irrational because I’m not like you blaming Trump for the ills of the world and being a total hypocrite in condemning things I freely take part in. I’ll try to be more rational and holy just like you.
                          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

The left gets justly chastised when they gleefully jump in after a shooting, and while the bodies are still warm, seeking to exploit it to push for increased gun control measures, so it is only decent to refrain from pointing fingers here while the fires are still raging.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                              Whether it is or isn't (and I'll assume for the sake of argument it is), refusing to help affected citizens in the future is simply punishing them for the sins of others. It's as bad as the lady who wrote into an ethics columnist complaining about a friend who refused to donate money to hurricane relief in Texas because the state voted for Trump.
                              Trying to discourage people from rebuilding in areas prone to wildfires is a good thing (just like trying to discourage rebuilding in flood plains), but it can surely better be accomplished through other means than threats.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                                Trying to discourage people from rebuilding in areas prone to wildfires is a good thing (just like trying to discourage rebuilding in flood plains), but it can surely better be accomplished through other means than threats.
                                Current tally is 1300 missing with 76 known dead. Drought, historically high temperatures are significant contributors to the size and extent of the fire. Trump still seems intent on making sure his blaming of California for the blazes remains in the headlines, although he did declare it a disaster area making relief funds available for those affected.

Jim

Comment