Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

First Gun Confiscation Killing...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seer View Post
    First of all, the other family members did not think he was a threat - at all. Second, they could have simply went to talk to him, maybe a couple of cops with a mental health person. They didn't, they went after his guns from the get go, all based on what ONE person said. No due process - just like the Soviet Union...
    Well, if I thought my safety was threatened, I wouldn't really care what other family members might think, would you? Yes, they went after his guns and it was obvious by his reaction that in going after his guns they did exactly the right thing. The guy was a dangerous nut case and a threat.
    Last edited by JimL; 11-12-2018, 10:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
      Well, if I thought my safety was threatened, I wouldn't really care what other family members might think, would you? Yes, they went after his guns and it was obvious by his reaction that in going after his guns they did exactly the right thing.
      So you are all for losing a right without due process - got it.
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

So you are all for losing a right without due process - got it.
        I'm sure you'd be saying the same if you lived in the same house with the dangerous nut case right, seer?

Comment

I'm sure you'd be saying the same if you lived in the same house with the dangerous nut case right, seer?
          Jim, I have lived with nut cases with guns, my cousin being one of them, and Norm, another friend (he ended up trying to kill himself not me thankfully), and I could tell you about Buffy and Terry (Vietnam Vets). Like I said, I would have had no problem with him having to see a mental health professional with an in depth interview with the police. No reason to start with a gun grab...
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Jim, I have lived with nut cases with guns, my cousin being one of them, and Norm, another friend (he ended up trying to kill himself not me thankfully), and I could tell you about Buffy and Terry (Vietnam Vets). Like I said, I would have had no problem with him having to see a mental health professional with an in depth interview with the police. No reason to start with a gun grab...
            I see, you're a slow learner. Maybe you'd have changed your mind had you been murdered.

Comment

As far as I know only one person made the complaint, they acted on a single accusation. Not a series of accusation. It literally sounds like a he said she said. They wake him up at 5:17 am, and tell him they are about to take all his firearms. Then how does one get them back? Do you have to prove that you are not a threat? How does that work? Guilty until proven innocent...
              Did you not look up information about how the "red flag" laws work? You'd have the answers if you did.

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
                Did you not look up information about how the "red flag" laws work? You'd have the answers if you did.
                Really? How does that change the fact that this took place on the word of one person?

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                  US mass shootings with 10 or more fatalities, by decade:

1940s: 1
                  1950s: 0
                  1960s: 1
                  1970s: 1
                  1980s: 5
                  1990s: 4
                  2000s: 5
                  2010s: 12

There have been as many mass shootings this year as there were in previous decades.

Where did you get your stats from?
                  The FBI that counts 3 or more victims as a mass shooting, not 10 or more.
                  "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                  GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

I see, you're a slow learner. Maybe you'd have changed your mind had you been murdered.
                    You have a better chance of dying in a car accident.
                    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

No, this guy had drinking problem, they should have tried to get him into rehab first.

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                        The FBI that counts 3 or more victims as a mass shooting, not 10 or more.
                        Would that be these FBI stats that show 2017 had more mass shootings than any year this century, and more mass shooting casualties than the entire previous decade?

Or this article which claims "an increased trend in the number of active shooter incidents over the last 14 years"?

Where did you get the stats that show "according to the stats mass shootings are really not more common now than they have been in the past decades"?
                        Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                        MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                          Would that be these FBI stats that show 2017 had more mass shootings than any year this century, and more mass shooting casualties than the entire previous decade?

Or this article which claims "an increased trend in the number of active shooter incidents over the last 14 years"?

Where did you get the stats that show "according to the stats mass shootings are really not more common now than they have been in the past decades"?
                          How do you define, “really not more common” Roy?
                          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

I just want to point out the irony in this thread. The liberals in this thread are defending the police shooting and killing a citizen in his own home and Seer and lipix are defending the citizen and claiming the police were overstepping and misusing their authority and power.

Was there a body switch this weekend I didn't know about?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                              I just want to point out the irony in this thread. The liberals in this thread are defending the police shooting and killing a citizen in his own home and Seer and lipix are defending the citizen and claiming the police were overstepping and misusing their authority and power.

Was there a body switch this weekend I didn't know about?
                              I have problems with laws that deny due process. Same reason I have an issue with the no fly list too. Besides, liberals only take issue if it’s a black man shot by police.
                              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                                The mental health experts cleared a guy that shot up a bar. Those are the ones you trust to make these decisions? Interesting...
                                Mental health professionals are surprisingly easy to fool if you're clever and know what they want to hear. The popular notion that psychiatrists are effectively omniscient and can know what anybody is really thinking simply by talking to them and observing their behavior is pure television fantasy.
                                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment