Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

First Gun Confiscation Killing...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ignorant Roy View Post
    Do you have an actual point, or are you just trying (and failing) to hone your use of the genetic fallacy?
    You're right, I did fail at using the genetic fallacy, but that's only because I didn't invoke it.

As for my point, you're a reasonably smart kid; I'm sure you can figure it out.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      You're right, I did fail at using the genetic fallacy, but that's only because I didn't invoke it.

As for my point, you're a reasonably smart kid; I'm sure you can figure it out.
      No, there are several possible blithering idiocies, and I have no idea which you might have intended.
      Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
      MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
        Less, comparable or not much greater (re commonness).

Not that it matters, since it's clear you don't have any stats at all, let alone ones that show mass shootings are "really not more common" (whatever you think that means), and that as usual you're regurgitating misremembered and manufactured claptrap.
        I see you’re desperately nitpicking as always because you would think an expert nit picker would be aware if things like per population or be careful of a single year higher trend.
        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
          I see you’re desperately nitpicking as always because you would think an expert nit picker would be aware if things like per population or be careful of a single year higher trend.
          I'm aware of such things. I also know why they don't make your falsehood any less false. Nor do they justify your evasion.

Nor is it 'nitpicking' to point out that you have not produced any evidence for your claim whatsoever, let alone the statistics you said supported it. Your references to per population correction and trends are just you throwing out terms you don't understand to avoid having to admit you don't have any data that supports your claims.

You said you had statistics in support of your claim - but you don't.
          Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

I'm aware of such things. I also know why they don't make your falsehood any less false. Nor do they justify your evasion.

Nor is it 'nitpicking' to point out that you have not produced any evidence for your claim whatsoever, let alone the statistics you said supported it. Your references to per population correction and trends are just you throwing out terms you don't understand to avoid having to admit you don't have any data that supports your claims.

You said you had statistics in support of your claim - but you don't.
            Sorry Roy, you’re the mind reader, so I figured you could tell everyone what I actually mean since you’re the one claiming to know just what I mean from an imprecise statement. You do what you always do though, make assumptions and troll because you hold zero interest in actually having any sort of discussion or debate about anything. How many people went to school with zero problem? My old high school has been active for over 35 years and has zero shootings take place on campus, most high schools can say the same because it is very unlikely a mass shooting will occur in a school. Yet people are terrified of events that have such a low probability of happening. And when you consider most mass shooting events are family affairs, in which a family member decides to shoot other family members, that makes it even less likely. My entire point is actually mass shootings are pretty rare and have always happened. The news just makes it seem much bigger than it actually is.
            "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
              Sorry Roy, you’re the mind reader, so I figured you could tell everyone what I actually mean since you’re the one claiming to know just what I mean from an imprecise statement.
              I can't tell what you mean, only what you say. It's your fault if they don't match.

You said "according to the stats ..." - but you didn't have any stats, only uninformed, biased opinion.
              Last edited by Roy; 11-13-2018, 10:46 AM.

Comment

I can't tell what you mean, only what you say. It's your fault if they don't match.

You said "according to the stats ..." - but you didn't have any stats, only uninformed, biased opinion.
                Poor Roy, angry that his usual nit pick and mind reading act didn’t work because according to what stats Roy? Was I talking about total public events and outings vs odds of a mass shooter?
                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

There are a number of articles that posit that shootings are not more common ...but that they ARE more deadly.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/st...esearch-215678

Look at the chart 1/2 way down the page in this Cato Institute article that was compiled by Mother Jones: https://www.cato.org/blog/are-mass-s...-more-frequent

You see that the incidence bars (red bars) are practically unchanged in comparison to the fatalities (blue bars)

Unfortunately, my work firewall will not allow me to post pic or upload images to TWEB, sorry for the inconvience.
                  Last edited by Littlejoe; 11-13-2018, 11:59 AM.
                  "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    If he had made a threat against someone it would be. That is what a protective order is.
                    That just makes me wonder what the complaint could be?

Comment

I just want to point out the irony in this thread. The liberals in this thread are defending the police shooting and killing a citizen in his own home and Seer and lipix are defending the citizen and claiming the police were overstepping and misusing their authority and power.

Was there a body switch this weekend I didn't know about?
                      Yeah, except that the police, according to the story, were not overstepping their bounds, the guy wasn't unarmed, or shot in the back, he apparently went for his gun rather than complying with the law. That's how you get yourself shot!

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                        Yeah, except that the police, according to the story, were not overstepping their bounds, the guy wasn't unarmed, or shot in the back, he apparently went for his gun rather than complying with the law. That's how you get yourself shot!
                        And he was white.

If he was black you and every other liberal would be screaming about police brutality and how the police broke into his home and shot a black man trying to defend his own home.

Your hypocrisy is noted.

Comment

If he was black you and every other liberal would be screaming about police brutality and how the police broke into his home and shot a black man trying to defend his own home.
                          None of the cases of people I've talked about in police brutality cases were waving a loaded gun around in the face of a police officer, refusing to put it down.

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
                            There are a number of articles that posit that shootings are not more common ...but that they ARE more deadly.
                            They definitely are more deadly - the number of casualties in 2017 exceeded the whole of the 2000s - but according to the FBI they're becoming more frequent too.* I noticed the first article doesn't include the last two years.

The chart in the second does show an increase in frequency as well as effect, but the use of the same axis for both plots de-emphasises it.
                            You see that the incidence bars (red bars) are practically unchanged in comparison to the fatalities (blue bars)
                            I think that's a scaling effect. It looks like casualties have increased by a factor of 3-5 while incidents have doubled. Certainly the four years with most incidents are all in the last decade - 2017, 2016, 2015 and 2012. The increase also seems to outpace population growth. I'd look more but my eyes are getting squiffy from trying to read the graph.

Comment

And he was white.

Your hypocrisy is noted.
                              That's not hypocrisy by him, that's your assumption of hypocrisy by him.

Comment

And he was white.

Your hypocrisy is noted.
                                Unless you are looking in the mirror, you are wrong as usual. It has nothing to do with race, it has only to do with the situation and the way the police re-act to it. If this person were black, which I have no idea whether he was black or not, it wouldn't make a bit of difference. Judging from past discussions though, I'm sure, that if this person were black, you and seer would be backing the police actions all the way. Your hipocrisy is well documented.

Comment