Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

First Gun Confiscation Killing...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
    As has been stated many times, the goal of gun control laws is not safety it is more government control period.
    I disagree. People being able to go easily buy an ar15, modify it slightly, and kill scores of people with their own machine gun is not a 'nothing' issue. One of the chief constitutional responsibilities of the federal government is the general public welfare. And the reality is, it can be just a multi-shot rifle or pistol at this point.

Source: US Constitution

GENERAL WELFARE CLAUSE. Article I, section 8 of the U. S. Constitution grants Congress the power to "lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts, and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common defense and general Welfare of the United States."

© Copyright Original Source

So they have a responsibility to do what can be done to keep events like the ones we are tending to see on an almost weekly basis from happening (another one today). The question is how effective can they be w/o running up against the 2nd amendment.

Jim
    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
      Ah - see. Reduce mass shootings. Different question. How to reduce mass shootings.

Well, actually that is relatively simple. Countries with reduced access or very limited public access to guns have very few mass shooting events. So one way would be to severely limit access to guns.

So what you really want to know is not what sorts of laws could reduce the number of mass shootings, but what sorts of laws could reduce the number of mass shootings without severely impacting ease of access to guns or requiring a modification or repeal of the 2nd amendment.

And there is where it gets difficult isn't it. What data is there that could show what might work when every effort to try to reduce the number of mass shootings by changing the laws is thwarted by the gun lobbies?

Nevertheless, some have made good efforts at doing just that. The NYT has a decent article that plots gun laws against public support and potential effectiveness as ranked by experts in criminology, public health, and law that have studied the issue in depth:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...ould-help.html

Jim
      Burning down that strawman I see. Too bad their suggestions exist already or are meaninglessly prattle made by people that clearly are not experts.
      "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
        Burning down that strawman I see. Too bad their suggestions exist already or are meaninglessly prattle made by people that clearly are not experts.
        You know, you can say lots of things to try to make it seem like there was some sort of failure on my part. But the reality is, you started off with a tautalogical statement that had not bearing on the discussion, and I didn't let you drag me down that specific rabbit hole. The only meaningful discussion is about what legislation can reduce or limit the carnage. I have offered up the sorts of legislation that can be done without compromising the 2nd amendment, that has had an effect where implemented, but which is fought tooth and nail by the gun lobbies. And the cold hard fact it, it may not be enough. There may not be a way in a society that devalues human life, that puts one's own needs above everyone elses, that pretends common decency is weakness, that mocks others just for the fun of it (sound like any people you know posting on this board?) to stop mass shooting without a repeal of the 2nd amendment. That may very well be the choice. We live with constantly increasing carnage year over year, month over month, or we recognize we are not a people worthy of having unfettered access to guns and we pull back from that. That times have changed and there is no way to have an unregulated potential militia as a protection against an invasion in an age of machine guns, tanks and atom bombs.

OTOH, those of you that are so concerned about your 'right' to own a gun that you are willing to fight any and all efforts to curb the carnage have the blood of those killed on your hands.

Jim
        Last edited by oxmixmudd; 11-20-2018, 08:22 AM.
        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Ah - see. Reduce mass shootings. Different question. How to reduce mass shootings.

Well, actually that is relatively simple. Countries with reduced access or very limited public access to guns have very few mass shooting events. So one way would be to severely limit access to guns.
          But they don't prevent other types of killings. People just move to a different method: Knives, bombs, poison, etc. You need to change people not outlaw everything that can be used dangerously. You can't solve the problem by limiting people's freedoms. You need to change hearts and the only legitimate way to do that is through Christ and restoring a sense of value to human life to this society.

Kentucky Governor Matt Blevins talked about how this is a cultural problem not a gun problem and he makes some very good points:

Comment

• Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
            You can call me names all you want, does not make it so.
            My words don't make you a dishonest schmuck, but your lie-by-omission does.
            Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
            MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
              Name calling, the last bastion of the desperate to be relevant...
              "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                Who says that legal gun owners are the problem in the first place?
                13 residents of Thousand Oaks, California, would say that if they were still able to. Tamara O'Neal, Samuel Jimenez and an unnamed pharmacist might too.
                Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  But they don't prevent other types of killings. People just move to a different method: Knives, bombs, poison, etc. You need to change people not outlaw everything that can be used dangerously. You can't solve the problem by limiting people's freedoms. You need to change hearts and the only legitimate way to do that is through Christ and restoring a sense of value to human life to this society.

Kentucky Governor Matt Blevins talked about how this is a cultural problem not a gun problem and he makes some very good points:

Ok, so in las vegas the fellow smashes the hotel window and starts ... throwing knives as fast and as far as he can ....

need I say more?

Jim

Comment

13 residents of Thousand Oaks, California, would say that if they were still able to. Tamara O'Neal, Samuel Jimenez and an unnamed pharmacist might too.
                    So one person, who probably shouldn't have a gun because he was mentally ill proves that legal gun owners are the problem, when millions of legal gun owners don't go around shooting people?

I guess that means we should ban legal drivers on the road because someone did a hit and run and had a legal driver's license.

Comment

Ok, so in las vegas the fellow smashes the hotel window and starts ... throwing knives as fast and as far as he can ....

need I say more?

Jim
                      He would have probably used bombs, Jim. Or driven a truck through the crowd.

Guns are harder to get in the UK... now we have this:

Will they ban assault hammers next?

---
                      PS great job ignoring most of my post. Did you even watch/listen to the video? Don't agree that Christ changing hearts is the answer? Hmm?
                      Last edited by Sparko; 11-20-2018, 09:45 AM.

Comment

You know, you can say lots of things to try to make it seem like there was some sort of failure on my part. But the reality is, you started off with a tautalogical statement that had not bearing on the discussion, and I didn't let you drag me down that specific rabbit hole. The only meaningful discussion is about what legislation can reduce or limit the carnage. I have offered up the sorts of legislation that can be done without compromising the 2nd amendment, that has had an effect where implemented, but which is fought tooth and nail by the gun lobbies. And the cold hard fact it, it may not be enough. There may not be a way in a society that devalues human life, that puts one's own needs above everyone elses, that pretends common decency is weakness, that mocks others just for the fun of it (sound like any people you know posting on this board?) to stop mass shooting without a repeal of the 2nd amendment. That may very well be the choice. We live with constantly increasing carnage year over year, month over month, or we recognize we are not a people worthy of having unfettered access to guns and we pull back from that. That times have changed and there is no way to have an unregulated potential militia as a protection against an invasion in an age of machine guns, tanks and atom bombs.

OTOH, those of you that are so concerned about your 'right' to own a gun that you are willing to fight any and all efforts to curb the carnage have the blood of those killed on your hands.

Jim
                        I didn’t, you read it that way because you are determined to read the worst in those you disagree with while ironically attacking Trump for doing the same thing. What I asked is to explain how gun control suggestions would have helped prevent shootings. You choose to read it as a ‘taunt’ because you want to believe the worst of your opponents. Second, no you haven’t because your suggestions don’t fit the reality. I can’t think of a mass shooter that used the supposed ‘gun show loophole’ to purchase a single weapon, this why I asked the question I asked. Likewise, treating people with mental illnesses as though they are common criminals that can snap and kill is horrible and contradicts the goal of increased mental healthcare. You can’t have increased care, treatment, and awareness of a group while treating them like common criminals Jim. The ‘assault rifle’ ban is just a ‘scary looking rifle ban’ that does little else than ban rifles based on what plastic parts are attached. See, just as I find out you want ‘action’ without understanding what these actions are where you let experts think for you vs seeing their ‘suggestions’ as little more than show that punishes the innocent, does little to nothing to solve problems, but ‘feels good’.So thus it’s liked.

Your final suggestion is really funny and shows a lack of awareness. Tanks and machine guns are century old weapons that can be defeated. Atom bombs destroy everything and are useless if your goal is to conquer. The past 70 years is chopped full of examples of technology advanced armies getting routed by people with guns. It should be obvious that your assertion is wrong.
                        Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 11-20-2018, 09:53 AM.
                        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Irony at its finest.
                          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Emotions without logic. Let me play, perhaps if California wasn’t so determined to disarm legal citizens, more would be alive.
                            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

need I say more?

Jim
                              Just set up a few bombs to drive everyone to a kill zone and either drive a truck straight through or use more bombs.
                              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                                Emotions without logic. Let me play, perhaps if California wasn’t so determined to disarm legal citizens, more would be alive.
                                That too. If those off duty cops were allowed to carry guns this probably would have been stopped at the first shot.

Comment