Announcement

Collapse

Prayer Requests and Praise Reports Guidelines

Post your prayers, your words of encouragement, edification and help to another in this thread.

This area is strictly non-debate, all faiths or non-faiths are allowed.

Please keep in mind the rules: here
See more
See less

Veterans Day at Church

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Veterans Day at Church

During the "Children's Message"* part of our morning service, I was going to be talking about the fact that it was Veterans Day, and explaining that there are all kinds of jobs people do in the Military that are not necessarily "fighting". (We have a retired Army officer who was a payroll clerk, an Air Force guy who was a cook, and a Navy veteran who was a medical doctor)

I said, "It's like the song we sing in Bible School... 'I may never march in the infantry', and I sang that first line. Immediately, all the little kids (15 of them) chimed in, and we had to sing the whole song! Then one of the little boys stood up at attention, and started ROUND TWO!!!! The congregation was laughing, the kids were having a great time, and it added so much to the morning service.

This is in contrast to, when I first came to this Church as Pastor, we had ZERO children, and my wife and I were pretty much the youngest members!

I'm thanking God for bringing us young families with small children.

*(For the "Children's Message", I sit on the steps at the altar leading up to the platform, and the kids come and sit on the steps with me, or on the floor in front of the steps. This is one of my favorite parts of "doing Church", because it always reminds me of Jesus' love for children, and how he forbade the disciples from blocking their access to Him)
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

A great lesson for the kids, CP.

My Dad was a flight instructor with the RCAF in WW 2, and he never was overseas, but he spent time in Texas teaching US Air Force to fly. As well as hundreds of Canadian pilots.

Both my grandfathers served in the first war, one as a mechanic and the other as clerical. Neither were in the thick of it.

Yet, I consider all 3 to have been equally important in their own ways. And equally veterans.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

My grandfather served in WW II as a dentist. He was in position to assist in the invasion of Japan when the country surrendered, and was part of the occupation force there post-war. His father volunteered for WW I, but was rejected due to a heart murmur. He then lived to be 101. Thankfully, I never had to go to war during my time in service.
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
        My grandfather served in WW II as a dentist. He was in position to assist in the invasion of Japan when the country surrendered, and was part of the occupation force there post-war. His father volunteered for WW I, but was rejected due to a heart murmur. He then lived to be 101. Thankfully, I never had to go to war during my time in service.
        A guy in our church was a Medic in WWII, and was part of the occupation force in Berlin. He was assigned to a hospital there, where he met and fell in love with a German nurse, whom he married and brought back to the States. She has been such a wonderful friend and inspiration. Very German accent, and very loving and kind.

One of her favorite expressions was "too soon old, and too late schmart"
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment