Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Cell Phone Nuisance Calls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cell Phone Nuisance Calls

OK, so I was getting inundated with telemarketers and scammers on my cell phone - I've had the same number for probably 20+ years, and I would easily get 10-20 nuisance calls PER DAY. I absolutely HATE paying for phone service where the MAJORITY of incoming calls are nuisance calls.

A couple months ago, I finally downloaded "Call Protect" app, and set it up on my AT&T cell phone.

Call Protect.jpg

I was amazed how many "telemarketer" phone calls (it actually applies that Caller ID - Telemarketer - to the call) it intercepted, and I was able to choose (in the app) "block".

Within WEEKS, I wasn't even getting many telemarketer calls at all, and I would check the app, and it had blocked MANY calls, not even allowing them to ring through.

A couple minutes ago, I got a telemarketer call - not caller ID'd as such - so I added it to the "Blocked" list in the app. AND, it occurred to me that it has now been WEEKS since I've gotten more than two or three such annoyance calls per week.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Thanks for the tip. I'm going to have to try this. I've had my AT&T phone number for about 15 years and while I don't get quite as many calls as you, I still get them and it is annoying.
    Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post
      Thanks for the tip. I'm going to have to try this. I've had my AT&T phone number for about 15 years and while I don't get quite as many calls as you, I still get them and it is annoying.
      In the app, even if it didn't show up as a telemarketer, and you discover it is, you have the option of reporting it as spam or telemarketer or whatever AND/OR blocking that number.

I had a spate of telemarketers coming from phone numbers with the same area code and local exchange as me - making it appear they might be friends or colleagues. I was getting a BUNCH of those, and would just block each one "Hi, This is Betty - do NOT HANG UP..." click! (Report / Block)
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        OK, so I was getting inundated with telemarketers and scammers on my cell phone - I've had the same number for probably 20+ years, and I would easily get 10-20 nuisance calls PER DAY. I absolutely HATE paying for phone service where the MAJORITY of incoming calls are nuisance calls.

A couple months ago, I finally downloaded "Call Protect" app, and set it up on my AT&T cell phone.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32955[/ATTACH]

I was amazed how many "telemarketer" phone calls (it actually applies that Caller ID - Telemarketer - to the call) it intercepted, and I was able to choose (in the app) "block".

Within WEEKS, I wasn't even getting many telemarketer calls at all, and I would check the app, and it had blocked MANY calls, not even allowing them to ring through.

A couple minutes ago, I got a telemarketer call - not caller ID'd as such - so I added it to the "Blocked" list in the app. AND, it occurred to me that it has now been WEEKS since I've gotten more than two or three such annoyance calls per week.
        I wonder if they got something like that for land lines.

The problem I have are telemarketers using fake phone numbers. I even had one who would call and my own number would show up on the caller I.D. I would always ask how they could be calling me from my own phone which was in my hand causing them to hang up quickly.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

The problem I have are telemarketers using fake phone numbers. I even had one who would call and my own number would show up on the caller I.D. I would always ask how they could be calling me from my own phone which was in my hand causing them to hang up quickly.
          I haven't had a landline in ages, but I seem to remember that most providers have such a service, but some charge a monthly fee for it.

I use the FREE version of this app, but I think you can upgrade for more functions - which I don't seem to need.

Comment

I have Verizon and apparently they don't have a comparable app... I get about 5 - 10 robocalls a day
            "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

I haven't had a landline in ages
              I haven't had a cell phone since the late 80s.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I use the FREE version of this app, but I think you can upgrade for more functions - which I don't seem to need.
                2018-11-12 13.00.58.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
                  I have Verizon and apparently they don't have a comparable app... I get about 5 - 10 robocalls a day
                  And don't those robocalls seem to come at the most inopportune moments?

Comment

You have student loans.
                    No i dont
                    sigpic

Comment

That's happened to me, and when I asked our phone company about it, they recommended that you not answer a call that shows your own number. We also get calls from businesses in town that end up being spam calls. So the scammers/spammers are able to somehow take an existing number and use it for their own nefarious purposes.

As for spam to my cell phone, I only use my phone for emergencies, and it sits in my bedroom or my purse when I'm home, so I never even hear it ring, let alone answer it. I tend to get more spam texts than calls.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Yeah, most of the calls I get are fake numbers these days (first 6 digits of my number, followed by 4 random numbers), on both cell and landline.
                        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                        sigpic
                        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                          As for spam to my cell phone, I only use my phone for emergencies, and it sits in my bedroom or my purse when I'm home, so I never even hear it ring, let alone answer it. I tend to get more spam texts than calls.
                          That's why you never accept my call?

Comment

That's why you never accept my call?
                            I don't think you have my cell phone number.

If you are going to call my landline, pm me with your number first and I will answer!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                              I don't think you have my cell phone number.

If you are going to call my landline, pm me with your number first and I will answer!
                              Mayhaps one day we shall have to voicicate.

Comment