Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cell Phone Nuisance Calls

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Cell Phone Nuisance Calls

OK, so I was getting inundated with telemarketers and scammers on my cell phone - I've had the same number for probably 20+ years, and I would easily get 10-20 nuisance calls PER DAY. I absolutely HATE paying for phone service where the MAJORITY of incoming calls are nuisance calls.

A couple months ago, I finally downloaded "Call Protect" app, and set it up on my AT&T cell phone.

Call Protect.jpg

I was amazed how many "telemarketer" phone calls (it actually applies that Caller ID - Telemarketer - to the call) it intercepted, and I was able to choose (in the app) "block".

Within WEEKS, I wasn't even getting many telemarketer calls at all, and I would check the app, and it had blocked MANY calls, not even allowing them to ring through.

A couple minutes ago, I got a telemarketer call - not caller ID'd as such - so I added it to the "Blocked" list in the app. AND, it occurred to me that it has now been WEEKS since I've gotten more than two or three such annoyance calls per week.
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Thanks for the tip. I'm going to have to try this. I've had my AT&T phone number for about 15 years and while I don't get quite as many calls as you, I still get them and it is annoying.
    Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaFille View Post
    Thanks for the tip. I'm going to have to try this. I've had my AT&T phone number for about 15 years and while I don't get quite as many calls as you, I still get them and it is annoying.
    In the app, even if it didn't show up as a telemarketer, and you discover it is, you have the option of reporting it as spam or telemarketer or whatever AND/OR blocking that number.

I had a spate of telemarketers coming from phone numbers with the same area code and local exchange as me - making it appear they might be friends or colleagues. I was getting a BUNCH of those, and would just block each one "Hi, This is Betty - do NOT HANG UP..." click! (Report / Block)

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    OK, so I was getting inundated with telemarketers and scammers on my cell phone - I've had the same number for probably 20+ years, and I would easily get 10-20 nuisance calls PER DAY. I absolutely HATE paying for phone service where the MAJORITY of incoming calls are nuisance calls.

A couple months ago, I finally downloaded "Call Protect" app, and set it up on my AT&T cell phone.

Call Protect.jpg

I was amazed how many "telemarketer" phone calls (it actually applies that Caller ID - Telemarketer - to the call) it intercepted, and I was able to choose (in the app) "block".

Within WEEKS, I wasn't even getting many telemarketer calls at all, and I would check the app, and it had blocked MANY calls, not even allowing them to ring through.

A couple minutes ago, I got a telemarketer call - not caller ID'd as such - so I added it to the "Blocked" list in the app. AND, it occurred to me that it has now been WEEKS since I've gotten more than two or three such annoyance calls per week.
    I wonder if they got something like that for land lines.

The problem I have are telemarketers using fake phone numbers. I even had one who would call and my own number would show up on the caller I.D. I would always ask how they could be calling me from my own phone which was in my hand causing them to hang up quickly.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    I wonder if they got something like that for land lines.

The problem I have are telemarketers using fake phone numbers. I even had one who would call and my own number would show up on the caller I.D. I would always ask how they could be calling me from my own phone which was in my hand causing them to hang up quickly.
    I haven't had a landline in ages, but I seem to remember that most providers have such a service, but some charge a monthly fee for it.

I use the FREE version of this app, but I think you can upgrade for more functions - which I don't seem to need.

Professor and Chaplain Littlejoe's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I have Verizon and apparently they don't have a comparable app... I get about 5 - 10 robocalls a day
    "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I haven't had a landline in ages
    I haven't had a cell phone since the late 80s.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I use the FREE version of this app, but I think you can upgrade for more functions - which I don't seem to need.
    2018-11-12 13.00.58.jpg

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlejoe View Post
    I have Verizon and apparently they don't have a comparable app... I get about 5 - 10 robocalls a day
    And don't those robocalls seem to come at the most inopportune moments?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    You have student loans.
    No i dont

11. Amen mossrose, Bill the Cat, Cerebrum123 amen'd this post.