Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Cell Phone Nuisance Calls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    So, I was getting a BUNCH of scam calls (I've had this same number since Moses was a boy scout) and even though they get identified as spam, they still show up on my phone.

Just for grins, I decided to try a free month of the $3.99 service (upsell on the free app Call Protect) and it gives you greater control - it can automatically route unknown calls, or suspected spam calls, to voicemail.

Just a little bit ago, I got....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]35764[/ATTACH]

and I never heard a thing. Those ones were auto-blocked - a few others were sent directly to voice mail hail.
    Hiya does that for free.

Comment

When I recently replaced my phone (with a $25 model, no less), I started noticing that my new phone would warn me that unfamiliar numbers had been previously reported as spammers.

I'm a bit creeped out by number recognition technology, though. One time at work, a random customer came up to me and asked me for help finding a random passage. I called him so I could get back to him after I looked for it. When I did, it displayed on his phone as "KingsGambit Post Office". Obviously one of my co-workers must have saved my number as that, and it somehow got saved worldwide as that. Creepy.

I know the standard advice is not to pick up unfamiliar numbers, but when you're actively job searching, the risk of hanging up on an interview trumps that.
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
        When I recently replaced my phone (with a $25 model, no less), I started noticing that my new phone would warn me that unfamiliar numbers had been previously reported as spammers.

I'm a bit creeped out by number recognition technology, though. One time at work, a random customer came up to me and asked me for help finding a random passage. I called him so I could get back to him after I looked for it. When I did, it displayed on his phone as "KingsGambit Post Office". Obviously one of my co-workers must have saved my number as that, and it somehow got saved worldwide as that. Creepy.
        Hnmmm... that's weird.

I know the standard advice is not to pick up unfamiliar numbers, but when you're actively job searching, the risk of hanging up on an interview trumps that.
        Yeah, that's why I like the ability to automatically send them to voice mail hail, instead of simply blocking all but the well known "bad guys".
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          Hiya does that for free.
          Yes, this is Hiya, or licensed from them. Does the FREE version do that?
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Yes, this is Hiya, or licensed from them. Does the FREE version do that?
            just checked. It will block calls on its list. I guess it doesnt do the voice mail thing. I was wrong about that.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              just checked. It will block calls on its list. I guess it doesnt do the voice mail thing. I was wrong about that.
              OK, so maybe it also has a paid version that adds those features.

Comment

I've gotten calls that claim to be from a job agency but hang up when I press for details...
                If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                  I've gotten calls that claim to be from a job agency but hang up when I press for details...
                  They may be "harvesting" your phone number - making sure it's really somebody --- everything I see says NEVER push any of the buttons when you answer a robo-call.

Comment

They may be "harvesting" your phone number - making sure it's really somebody --- everything I see says NEVER push any of the buttons when you answer a robo-call.
                    It's a real person though. Robocalls will hang up because I don't say anything

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                      It's a real person though. Robocalls will hang up because I don't say anything
                      OH... I thought you meant a robocall, where they say "press 2 for more info, or press 7 to be placed on our no-call list".

sorry

Comment

Then again, it can be hard to tell these days...

Comment

have you guys heard of the new scam going around called "virtual kidnapping?" Its freaking scary.

https://www.wthr.com/article/im-not-...m-hits-indiana
                          'I'm not playing around': Virtual kidnapping scam hits IndianaFoiling the scheme

Comment

And another reason to have one's facebook profile on private mode!

Comment

So the FCC just passed some regulations allowing carriers to automatically block robocalls.

And apparently AT&T is running with it.

AT&T will automatically block fraud calls for new customers
                              Existing subscribers will have to wait.

AT&T is making quick use of FCC rules explicitly allowing carriers to block robocalls by default. The network will start automatically blocking fraud calls (and issuing suspected spam call alerts) for new phone customers as a matter course, at no extra charge. You'll have to opt out if you don't want the company to screen calls this way. Existing customers, meanwhile, will see the feature automatically reach their accounts in the "coming months."

If you like the capabilities, you can turn it on right now either by downloading the AT&T Call Protect app or enabling it through your myAT&T account settings.

https://www.engadget.com/2019/07/09/...s-fraud-calls/

Comment

Verizon has something similar:

https://www.verizon.com/about/news/v...ttle-robocalls

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X