Announcement

Collapse

Memorial Garden Guidelines

This forum is to remember all friends and family who passed from this earth. We were lucky to know them, let us encourage one another with their memories.
This is not a debate area, nor a place to speak ill of the dead.

Please keep in mind the rules: here
See more
See less

Hal 9000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hal 9000

Douglas Rain, Voice of HAL 9000 in ‘2001: A Space Odyssey,’ Dies at 90

Douglas Rain, who voiced the soft-spoken HAL 9000 robot that went rogue in Stanley Kubrick’s “2001: A Space Odyssey,” has died. He was 90.

The Stratford Festival, which Rain, who was a dedicated Shakespearean actor, co-founded in 1952, said that Rain had died of natural causes in Stratford, Ont. in Canada.

The festival said Rain performed at the festival for more than 45 years.

“Canadian theatre has lost one of its greatest talents and a guiding light in its development,” the festival’s artistic director, Antoni Cimolino, said in a press release Sunday, according to CTV.

“Douglas Rain was that rare artist: an actor deeply admired by other actors.”

Rain was born in Winnipeg, Man. in 1928, studied at the Old Vic in London, and performed at theaters and festival across Canada. He received a Tony nomination in 1972 for his role in Robert Bolt’s production of “Vivat! Vivat! Regina!”

All of Rain’s voiceover work for HAL was done in post-production. Other actors were considered for the role, including Martin Balsam, who was eventually dismissed as too American, and Nigel Davenport, who was too English. Kubrick decided to deal with the problem is post-production. As a result, he gave his A.D., Derek Cracknell, the job for the duration of shooting. Cracknell had a strong Michael Caine-esque accent, which provided for some interesting stories after the film hit cult status.

And many attribute the "style" of Siri and Alexa to Rain's lead. He set the stage for the "voice" of AI.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      And many attribute the "style" of Siri and Alexa to Rain's lead. He set the stage for the "voice" of AI.
      I want a HAL voice for my Echo.

I never cared much for the movie 2001. It was too artsy and slow, but I always loved HAL 9000's character.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        I want a HAL voice for my Echo.

I never cared much for the movie 2001. It was too artsy and slow, but I always loved HAL 9000's character.

When the movie came out I was into artsy.
        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Years ago, the Windows startup sound on my computer was "I am completely operational and all my circuits are functioning perfectly".
          Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X