Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Evangelicals are paying high moral price for anti-abortion gains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evangelicals are paying high moral price for anti-abortion gains

I just read this interesting article and it put some very strong words on what I have been thinking quite many times when visiting tweb. Initially one would think that there could not be a price too high to pay for anti-abortion, but if you read it end to end you will see that his point is that basically Evangelicals today are selling out the basic teachings of Jesus in order to possible gain what would not help children but put women in danger.

Let's look at some interesting quotes:

Religious leaders have given up moral ground at every renewed show of support for this administration and Congress. They stood by as families were torn apart at our border, the children shipped off to remote detention camps in the middle of the night. They cheered as health care was stripped away from the poor and the sick.
    These are not positions informed by the teachings of Jesus Christ — to the contrary, they are antithetical to what Jesus preached.
    Many of us are taught from a young age that abortion is the issue on which our vote should always hinge. The hope among many evangelicals is to make abortion illegal. Evidence, however, suggests that criminalization does not reduce abortions. In fact, studies show that criminalizing abortion does nothing to protect babies, but instead endangers mothers.
    Like the religious leaders from the story of the Good Samaritan, who protected their interests and purity by ignoring a man who had been beaten and left to die, too many of our faith leaders endorse the Trump agenda at the expense of those who suffer.
    "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

I try to remember that there are good people on all sides of the issue that are ardently trying to live out their convictions, and I don't think politically liberal Christians have made a good sales pitch yet about the expression of God's character in social justice issues; however, the immigration issue in particular is puzzling to me because missions and evangelism are at the heart of "Evangelical." Jesus Christ has literally brought the international mission field and the 10-40 window to the United States and a good number of Christians are like, "Nah, no thank you." I don't get it.

The article's okay. It's gonna turn people off with some clumsy comparisons, but on the whole I agree with it in substance, even if not point by point.
      "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
      Hear my cry, hear my shout,
      Save me, save me"

Comment

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by guacamole View Post
          ...the immigration issue in particular is puzzling to me because missions and evangelism are at the heart of "Evangelical." Jesus Christ has literally brought the international mission field and the 10-40 window to the United States and a good number of Christians are like, "Nah, no thank you." I don't get it.
          Look at it this way: you might have a heart for helping drug addicts get clean, but you certainly don't want to endanger your family by randomly taking dozens of drug addicts into your home.

Or looking at it another way, Jesus took his message to the people, but he didn't arbitrarily invite every person he came across to travel with him as his disciple.

Looking at it yet another way, allowing thousands of people with no respect for the law to enter the United States unchecked is not evangelism.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

An article from a universalist homosexual sin-affirming Emergent Church heretic?
            That's what
            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
            - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
              An article from a universalist homosexual sin-affirming Emergent Church heretic?
              What, you don't think they can be objective?

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

That's a pretty heavy ad hom.
                Save me, save me"

Comment

so was the article.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    so was the article.
                    CP might have been right about it being a broad brush tho.
                    Save me, save me"

Comment

It's all true. It's more of the liberal Christian mindset that has infested the church with their conflating social justice issues with moral issues.
                      That's what
                      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

It's all true. It's more of the liberal Christian mindset that has infested the church with their conflating social justice issues with moral issues.

Yes. In trying to attract the world, they become more and more like it and the gospel is changed or lost completely in the process.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                          Yes. In trying to attract the world, they become more and more like it and the gospel is changed or lost completely in the process.
                          And, interestingly enough, the churches that are actually growing or holding their own are NOT the ones that are compromising with the world.

Comment

Out of curiosity, which part(s) of "universalist homosexual sin-affirming Emergent Church heretic" do you contest?

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              Out of curiosity, which part(s) of "universalist homosexual sin-affirming Emergent Church heretic" do you contest?
                              That's not how ad hom works. It's possible to be all of those things and still be correct in what one says; deal with the content, not the messenger.
                              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                              sigpic
                              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment