Announcement

Collapse

Psychology 101 Guidelines

Welcome to Tweb's couch. Please join us in discussing the joys of the human psyche. Watch in wonderment as the Tweb crowd has violent mood swings. help us understand what makes us tick.

Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.
See more
See less

Silence and Stress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
    I find both clamor and total silence equally uncomfortable.
    I suspect it is an individual thing. I do not like "background noise." My kids and grand kids seem to find it soothing. ?
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
      I suspect it is an individual thing. I do not like "background noise." My kids and grand kids seem to find it soothing. ?
      It appears so. Long ago I had a girlfriend who could not sleep unless she had the radio on playing music -- very loudly.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
        Depending on what I'm doing, background noise can either completely disrupt my concentration or I can entirely ignore it. I have a 60-disk CD changer, and there have been times sitting at my computer where several disks can play without me registering a single song (or if I'm playing a single CD, it can stop well before I'm aware it's suddenly quiet). On the other hand, if I'm studying Scripture, I pretty much need silence.
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I have tinnitis so I never have silence.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            I have tinnitis so I never have silence.
            TMD* causes me to have ringing ears. Some kind of distraction lessens the annoying factor.

*Often called TMJ.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
              TMD* causes me to have ringing ears. Some kind of distraction lessens the annoying factor.

*Often called TMJ.
              I don't know the source of my tinnitus, but yeah, external noise helps counter it.
              Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                I don't know the source of my tinnitus, but yeah, external noise helps counter it.
                Lots of different possibilities, including something simple like ear wax buildup near your ear drum.

Comment

Lots of different possibilities, including something simple like ear wax buildup near your ear drum.
                  I worked without hearing protection on some very loud ultrasonic cleaning machines when I was younger.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    I worked without hearing protection on some very loud ultrasonic cleaning machines when I was younger.
                    That would definitely do it. Depending on the cause Tinnitus can be treated. It seems that about all you can do if it's because of loud noises is getting something like a white noise machine to help mask the sound.

Comment

That would definitely do it. Depending on the cause Tinnitus can be treated. It seems that about all you can do if it's because of loud noises is getting something like a white noise machine to help mask the sound.
                      but then you have a bunch of white noise in your ears. To me that's the same thing. My tinnitus is kind of like a high pitched hissing sound.

Comment