Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Is Donald Trump a good example of American (USA) values?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EvoUK View Post
    We should start a Brexit thread Manky. Haven't bothered as of yet as being a mostly American forum I doubted enough people have the nuances of what is happening to really discuss it properly!
    That hasn't stopped certain non-Americans from Ignorantly pontificating about US politics. Maybe we can return the favor!
    Last edited by Mountain Man; 11-16-2018, 05:24 AM.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      The former.

I think Trump is a narcissistic, rude, crude person with questionable morals. Which just makes him slightly better than Clinton who is all that and a scheming, lying, cheat who has already cost American lives in her previous job.

But at least Trump is doing some good, like keeping his promises when the democrats let him, the economy is doing well, and he has put two good people on the supreme court that have good Christian values.

Comment

Is Trump a good example of American values? Perhaps.

Is Trump an example of good American values? Perhaps not.

Comment

Thanks everyone, plenty to mull over there.

I like the idea of a Brexit conversation. Jings, it was complicated enough before the events of the last couple of days. I'll try & come up with an angle... or, if someone else wants to kick off with some questions.. either way works.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
            A large part of the reason why people defend Trump on here is because of the outlandish accusations hurled against him. Charges of racism and misogyny are easy to make, and tend to put people on the defensive, so people who hate him and those who are perpetually offended are motivated to make those charges. Trump's often brash off-the-cuff remarks make it easy for the easily aggrieved to find such views in them. I wish he'd be a lot more careful in what he says. He's hardly a paragon of virtue.
            Completely agree.

I didn't vote for Trump or Hilary. He strikes me as one of the least thoughtful, introspective, and self-aware people on earth, and I pray that he's too clueless to cause any real damage - or that the people supporting him are slightly more competent than he is. But, if Democrats/liberals wouldn't insist on shooting themselves in the foot(or head, depending on your perspective) over idiotic identity politics, a lot fewer people would have been willing to vote for him, and a lot more willing to vote for the Democrats. I really can't blame the right for taking advantage of the left's stupidity, so... he's our president.

Comment

Idiotic identity politics. Spot on. If that is the alternative to the Trumps of the world, then we are only ever going to have Trumps.
              "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
              Hear my cry, hear my shout,
              Save me, save me"

Comment

Originally posted by MankyScotsGit View Post
                Do you share the same values as Trump? Are those values the epitome of the American Dream?

Some will say "He's not my President" or denounce Trump as racist or misogynist or whatever. I don't really know. I'm over here in the UK, dependent on the Media.. and social media.

So, I'm wondering, what do you say about Trump? Was he the least worst option at the last Presidential election (and what does that say about American politics) or is Trump actually what America is all about?

regards

Manky (Johnny)
                Well Trump is a racist, bigoted, xenophobic, sexist. The US is a racist, bigoted, xenophobic, sexist country - perfect fit!
                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Do you share the same values as Trump? Are those values the epitome of the American Dream?

Some will say "He's not my President" or denounce Trump as racist or misogynist or whatever. I don't really know. I'm over here in the UK, dependent on the Media.. and social media.

So, I'm wondering, what do you say about Trump? Was he the least worst option at the last Presidential election (and what does that say about American politics) or is Trump actually what America is all about?

regards

Manky (Johnny)
                  Now that Trump has been in office for awhile, I like what he has done and what he says he plans to do.

At least with Trump we know what we have. Other politicians aren't so honest and I prefer an honest president.

I do not think he is a racist.

I do wonder if Cruz or Rubio had won the nomination and won the election if we would see the hate directed to them that we see directed at Trump. My conclusion is yes, we would simply because Hillary did not win.

Comment

Originally posted by guacamole View Post
                    Idiotic identity politics. Spot on. If that is the alternative to the Trumps of the world, then we are only ever going to have Trumps.
                    yup.

I am getting so sick of this idiocy.

Used to be for the most part Democrats, Republicans, Independents, etc all got along in a civil matter, just disagreeing over various policies but still showing at least a modicum of civil decency to the other sides. Like lawyers who fight in court then go have a drink together after the trial.

But now, it has turned into if the other side disagrees with your view then they are terrorists or nazis and must be stopped by any means necessary. And this is coming from conservatives as well as liberals.

Comment

Originally posted by Christian3 View Post
                      Now that Trump has been in office for awhile, I like what he has done and what he says he plans to do.

At least with Trump we know what we have. Other politicians aren't so honest and I prefer an honest president.

I do not think he is a racist.

I do wonder if Cruz or Rubio had won the nomination and won the election if we would see the hate directed to them that we see directed at Trump. My conclusion is yes, we would simply because Hillary did not win.
                      Ya know, that's interesting. It's like when Mark White was running against Bill Clements for Governor of Texas. I was in a cafe for breakfast, and overheard two old cowboys discussion the race. One of them made a comment about Bill Clements doing something crooked. The other guy said, "Well, Clements is crooked right up front - Mark White is SNEAKY crooked!"
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by LeaC View Post
                        Completely agree.

I didn't vote for Trump or Hilary. He strikes me as one of the least thoughtful, introspective, and self-aware people on earth, and I pray that he's too clueless to cause any real damage - or that the people supporting him are slightly more competent than he is. But, if Democrats/liberals wouldn't insist on shooting themselves in the foot(or head, depending on your perspective) over idiotic identity politics, a lot fewer people would have been willing to vote for him, and a lot more willing to vote for the Democrats. I really can't blame the right for taking advantage of the left's stupidity, so... he's our president.
                        At least we know what we got with him. With other presidents, we got people who hid their identity.

Actually, he appears to be a brilliant person. He has been able to become a billionaire. He has to know something to do that and he has to get the right people together to help do that -- with the caveat that he has had some transitional problems finding people in the political field that would be useful and loyal. Few Republicans even seem willing to take a position contrary to the Democrat's position. (What is this Democrat stronghold?)

He definitely seemed to be the only person who could take on the media's smear campaign and expose it as such. His tweets often have been the only way to get the "other side" of the story back to the people.

Comment

Ya know, that's interesting. It's like when Mark White was running against Bill Clements for Governor of Texas. I was in a cafe for breakfast, and overheard two old cowboys discussion the race. One of them made a comment about Bill Clements doing something crooked. The other guy said, "Well, Clements is crooked right up front - Mark White is SNEAKY crooked!"
                          My pastor tells a story about a time he was in a barber shop and heard one of the regulars going on and on about how terrible "the Bush doctrine" was. My pastor finally asked, "And what, exactly is 'the Bush doctrine', and why is it bad?" and the man stuttered and stammered and could only say, "Well, you know, the Bush doctrine..."
                          Last edited by Mountain Man; 11-16-2018, 10:28 AM.

Comment

All of them Bill.. the full package.
                            No one is a good role model, except Christ. Only HE had the full package.
                            That's what
                            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                            - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Ya know, that's interesting. It's like when Mark White was running against Bill Clements for Governor of Texas.
                              For some reason, I first read this as "Mark Twain ...Samuel Clemens" and did a double-take.
                              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                              sigpic
                              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
                                He has to know something to do that and he has to get the right people together to help do that -- with the caveat that he has had some transitional problems finding people in the political field that would be useful and loyal. Few Republicans even seem willing to take a position contrary to the Democrat's position. (What is this Democrat stronghold?)
                                It's the difference between business and politics that continues to bite Trump on the rump. In business, when you're the boss, everybody does what you say because everybody has more or less the same goal: make as much money as possible, and employees trust their boss to make that happen. In politics, people seem more inclined do whatever it takes to advance their own personal careers, which doesn't necessarily align with the boss' agenda. There's also the fact that a President is always at the end of his political career and will only be around for 8-years at the most while Congressmen can serve for decades, so from a purely pragmatic perspective, ingratiating yourself with "establishment" Congressmen is more valuable for one's career than cooperating with the current president.

I'm reminded of Sir Humphrey Appleby from the show Yes, Minister who proudly described himself as "a moral vacuum" and didn't care a whit about which minister he served under or what their political agenda was so long as he and his department retained power.
                                Last edited by Mountain Man; 11-16-2018, 10:29 AM.

Comment