Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Is Donald Trump a good example of American (USA) values?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Donald Trump a good example of American (USA) values?

Do you share the same values as Trump? Are those values the epitome of the American Dream?

Some will say "He's not my President" or denounce Trump as racist or misogynist or whatever. I don't really know. I'm over here in the UK, dependent on the Media.. and social media.

So, I'm wondering, what do you say about Trump? Was he the least worst option at the last Presidential election (and what does that say about American politics) or is Trump actually what America is all about?

regards

Manky (Johnny)

We should start a Brexit thread Manky. Haven't bothered as of yet as being a mostly American forum I doubted enough people have the nuances of what is happening to really discuss it properly!

Comment

Originally posted by MankyScotsGit View Post
      Was he the least worst option at the last Presidential election (and what does that say about American politics) or is Trump actually what America is all about?
      The former.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by EvoUK View Post
        We should start a Brexit thread Manky. Haven't bothered as of yet as being a mostly American forum I doubted enough people have the nuances of what is happening to really discuss it properly!
        That might be interesting from an education standpoint.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Do you share the same values as Trump?
          Depends on which ones you mean...
          That's what
          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
          - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

I don't particularly know Trump's values. But he has been advocating that the US be content with itself.

There is a lot of shaming of America -- people viewing this country as exercising white male dominance over everything. This perception is ill-founded, without basis. But the mass media likes to portray such viewpoint until a great number of people start viewing this as truth.

The media and the Democrats have been emphasizing division -- but they like to say that it is Trump causing the division. The only credit that Trump can take for promoting division is that he has been unwilling to remain silent in the face of the divisive language promoted by the Democrats and media. Such outspoken stance by Republicans hasn't occurred since Reagan -- or before that. (But if we go back that far in time, the news media probably wasn't so hard set against Republicans.)

From what I can tell now, Trump is the only man in a position to protect the US from total anarchy, from loss of any sense of adherence to the Constitution. The Democrats, with the full cooperation of the mass media, seem happy to gain unhindered power, of power without restriction of the Constitution.

We basically seem to be in the situation where we have to pick apart the news to figure out what, if any, truth can be found in such news. This puts the alert American into the position that the intelligenstia in Communist Russia had to do -- to get any true and useful information.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
              Depends on which ones you mean...
              All of them Bill.. the full package.

Comment

Do you share the same values as Trump? Are those values the epitome of the American Dream?

Some will say "He's not my President" or denounce Trump as racist or misogynist or whatever. I don't really know. I'm over here in the UK, dependent on the Media.. and social media.

So, I'm wondering, what do you say about Trump? Was he the least worst option at the last Presidential election (and what does that say about American politics) or is Trump actually what America is all about?

regards

Manky (Johnny)
                I used to say Trump was a horrible example of America, that he got there solely on a 'least bad' option ticket. But, interacting with the folks here, watching the folks at Trump rallies etc etc, I would say that unfortunately there is a sizable section of America that are quite happy Trump is president, and are not only happy he's president, willing to defend him in some if his most horrible actions - even though if you had asked them before 2016 if they would defend such an action, they would have almost all said no, they would not.

Jim
                My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                  I . . . But, interacting with the folks here, watching the folks at Trump rallies etc etc, I would say that unfortunately there is a sizable section of America that are quite happy Trump is president, . . .
                  I am happy that he is president but only because Hilary is not.
                  Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Do you share the same values as Trump?
                    No.

Are those values the epitome of the American Dream?
                    What most people mean when they say "the American Dream" is usually defined materialistic terms. To that extent, Trump is almost the perfect American.

I think he's a pig. I don't think he's a hard line racist or misogynist, though he finds it useful to wink at those who are.

We had some seriously bad options. Hillary was a viciously bad option. Trump is nakedly immoral. I didn't vote for either one. Trump is my president. I pray regularly that he makes good decisions and surrounds himself with people of integrity.

regards

Manky (Johnny)
                    fwiw,
                    guacamole
                    "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
                    Hear my cry, hear my shout,
                    Save me, save me"

Comment

Agreed, Cowpoke. Also the head voices I could read those with would be interesting.

giphy.gif vs. giphy (1).gif
                      "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
                      Hear my cry, hear my shout,
                      Save me, save me"

Comment

regards

Manky (Johnny)
                        Trump was the least worst option. He got elected because people were fed up with the establishment and his opponent was quintessential establishment. I think it says something about politics in general that I've almost always found myself voting for the least worst option. The 2016 election, though.... both candidates, unusually, had a sizeable number of core supporters who would stick with them no matter what AND a sizeable number of people who hated them with a hot hate. Much of the media over here has effectively been an extension of the Democratic Party for decades, and Trump has pushed back when they push, so you're getting a rather jaundiced view over there.

A large part of the reason why people defend Trump on here is because of the outlandish accusations hurled against him. Charges of racism and misogyny are easy to make, and tend to put people on the defensive, so people who hate him and those who are perpetually offended are motivated to make those charges. Trump's often brash off-the-cuff remarks make it easy for the easily aggrieved to find such views in them. I wish he'd be a lot more careful in what he says. He's hardly a paragon of virtue.
                        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                        sigpic
                        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Was he the least worst option at the last Presidential election
                          Yup.

(and what does that say about American politics)
                          Nothing good.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post

A large part of the reason why people defend Trump on here is because of the outlandish accusations hurled against him. Charges of racism and misogyny are easy to make, and tend to put people on the defensive, so people who hate him and those who are perpetually offended are motivated to make those charges. Trump's often brash off-the-cuff remarks make it easy for the easily aggrieved to find such views in them. I wish he'd be a lot more careful in what he says. He's hardly a paragon of virtue.
                            That.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by EvoUK View Post
                              We could watch a YouTube video or two and then discuss it with a few like-minded friends and become instant experts like a couple foreigners from down under here do wrt U.S. government and society.

Comment