Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Is Donald Trump a good example of American (USA) values?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
    At least we know what we got with him. With other presidents, we got people who hid their identity.

Actually, he appears to be a brilliant person. He has been able to become a billionaire. He has to know something to do that and he has to get the right people together to help do that -- with the caveat that he has had some transitional problems finding people in the political field that would be useful and loyal. Few Republicans even seem willing to take a position contrary to the Democrat's position. (What is this Democrat stronghold?)

He definitely seemed to be the only person who could take on the media's smear campaign and expose it as such. His tweets often have been the only way to get the "other side" of the story back to the people.
    Having money /=/ being intelligent, especially when you inherit most of it. But I'm not really questioning his intelligence, plenty of brilliant people come across as completely clueless in front of audience(though I don't believe Trump is "brilliant" either). My impression is that he is not a deep thinker and has not given much thought to political details or management- for the position he has, that's not necessarily a bad thing, but it is something I don't like about him, and why I wouldn't vote for him.

And I hate the media. They are terrible, someone should call them out and force them to do better. The president should not be that person. It's a dangerous precedent. The media needs to investigate politicians, and do it effectively, but it can't do either if it operates on the whim of those same politicians.

However - and I said this during the campaign, too - he was the candidate who tapped into a source of a lot of frustration and anger among voters, and for legitimate reasons. I don't know if he did it deliberately or not, but I don't deny it was effective.

Comment

Originally posted by EvoUK View Post
      We should start a Brexit thread Manky. Haven't bothered as of yet as being a mostly American forum I doubted enough people have the nuances of what is happening to really discuss it properly!
      Please do it would be a good way to learn what and why both sides held the views they did.

Comment

Originally posted by LeaC View Post
        Completely agree.

I didn't vote for Trump or Hilary. He strikes me as one of the least thoughtful, introspective, and self-aware people on earth, and I pray that he's too clueless to cause any real damage - or that the people supporting him are slightly more competent than he is. But, if Democrats/liberals wouldn't insist on shooting themselves in the foot(or head, depending on your perspective) over idiotic identity politics, a lot fewer people would have been willing to vote for him, and a lot more willing to vote for the Democrats. I really can't blame the right for taking advantage of the left's stupidity, so... he's our president.
        Political Correctness run amok has often been cited as a major contributing factor for people voting for Trump -- probably the least PC president in nearly two centuries.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          yup.

I am getting so sick of this idiocy.

Used to be for the most part Democrats, Republicans, Independents, etc all got along in a civil matter, just disagreeing over various policies but still showing at least a modicum of civil decency to the other sides. Like lawyers who fight in court then go have a drink together after the trial.

But now, it has turned into if the other side disagrees with your view then they are terrorists or nazis and must be stopped by any means necessary. And this is coming from conservatives as well as liberals.
          The relationship between Democrat Speaker of the House "Tip" O'Neill and Republican President Ronald Reagan is a textbook example.

I fear that these days far too many don't see the "other side" as being merely wrong or simply ill-informed, but rather as out and out evil. Look how many friendships have suddenly ending when someone finds out that their friend for many years voted for "HIM."

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            Political Correctness run amok has often been cited as a major contributing factor for people voting for Trump -- probably the least PC president in nearly two centuries.
            It HAS been nearly that long since Andy Jackson, hasn't it?
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
              It HAS been nearly that long since Andy Jackson, hasn't it?
              Very good piggy. Got it on the first try

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                Very good piggy. Got it on the first try
                Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by MankyScotsGit View Post
                  Do you share the same values as Trump? Are those values the epitome of the American Dream?

Some will say "He's not my President" or denounce Trump as racist or misogynist or whatever. I don't really know. I'm over here in the UK, dependent on the Media.. and social media.

So, I'm wondering, what do you say about Trump? Was he the least worst option at the last Presidential election (and what does that say about American politics) or is Trump actually what America is all about?

regards

Manky (Johnny)
                  Don't worry, Trump is an evil aberration who will be gone soon, hopefully in prison, or in asylum in Russia.

Comment

Was Andrew Jackson actually less politically correct than Lincoln? Lincoln triggered the southern states so hard they tried to quit the country.

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
                      Was Andrew Jackson actually less politically correct than Lincoln? Lincoln triggered the southern states so hard they tried to quit the country.
                      That wasn't especially Lincoln's fault. He was explicitly in favor of not ending slavery, and thought that blacks were inferior to whites at that point.
                      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                      sigpic
                      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

so, last couple of days I've been doing a bit of Brexit reading up and trying to come up with an angle relatable to folks not familiar with European style politics... Phew.. it's not an easy topic... I'm giving it more thought. Bear with me.

Comment