Announcement

Collapse

LDS - Mormonism Guidelines

Theists only.

Look! It's a bird, no it's a plane, no it's a bicycle built for two!

This forum is a debate area to discuss issues pertaining to the LDS - Mormons. This forum is generally for theists only, and is generaly not the area for debate between atheists and theists. Non-theists may not post here without first obtaining permission from the moderator of this forum. Granting of such permission is subject to Moderator discretion - and may be revoked if the Moderator feels that the poster is not keeping with the spirit of the World Religions Department.

Due to the sensitive nature of the LDS Temple Ceremonies to our LDS posters, we do not allow posting exact text of the temple rituals, articles describing older versions of the ceremony, or links that provide the same information. However discussion of generalities of the ceremony are not off limits. If in doubt, PM the area mod or an Admin

Non-theists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Moroni a demon? Do you really want to go there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NRA-Jeff View Post
    You are almost certainly not the only person who indulges in such jejunity (I guess that's not a real word).
    Don't sell yourself short. You are certainly not the only Mormon who picks one post from the thread at which offense is taken rather than address the substance of the thread.
    Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Excellent! Thanks.
      Any time!
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
        Fair enough. The greek word that it was derived from did exist before that though.
        If it had existed in Reformed Egyptian, you'd have a better case. Smith could have translated that.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Not right, as it turns out. :)
          Sure, my original point was not valid, but I still find it a bit funny given that while the English term moron did not exist until it was coined in the 1900's, the greek word it was derived from did exist long before that. Smith's contemporaries might not have found anything funny about the name, but I suspect Paul or Luke would have doubled over with laughter.

Comment

Apparently, from a Mormon source, and dealing with the allegation that the Book of Mormon was named after a MAN (Mormon)...

Naturally, because I believe Smith totally made up (or plagiarized the BoM), I still wonder where he got the name "Mormon", for the character in the book.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
              Don't sell yourself short. You are certainly not the only Mormon who picks one post from the thread at which offense is taken rather than address the substance of the thread.

Thanks for "demon"-strating that whatever spelling checker is used when I post here, is inadequate--it flagged the word as being wrong.

As for the issue of addressing the OP: I am happy to add my comment that I agree that it's problematic to assert that the being who appeared to J. Smith was a demon.
              "The fundamental principles of our religion are the testimony of the Apostles and Prophets, concerning Jesus Christ, that He died, was buried, and rose again the third day, and ascended into heaven...." Joseph Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                ...Naturally, because I believe Smith totally made up (or plagiarized the BoM), I still wonder where he got the name "Mormon", for the character in the book.
                And you may be doomed to keep wondering until Judgment Day, unless/until you accept our explanation for its origin.
                "The fundamental principles of our religion are the testimony of the Apostles and Prophets, concerning Jesus Christ, that He died, was buried, and rose again the third day, and ascended into heaven...." Joseph Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Naturally, because I believe Smith totally made up (or plagiarized the BoM), I still wonder where he got the name "Mormon", for the character in the book.
                  It could be a mash-up of Moriah and Solomon, or Almon, or Ammon
                  That's what
                  - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                  - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                  - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X